hello

lyndavies1966

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 13, 2019
hi all does anyone know whether it is legal for a pedal assisted electric bike to start just using the throttle instead of pedals it locks at 15.5 mph its a twist and go and the pedals are only used when going up hill and at the moment i am locked into an argument with the police and unable to ride the bike,the dvla says its perfectly legal as long as the cut off is at 15.5 but does not mention whether the pedals can take it faster,the police said if the bike starts with a push and go instead of me using the pedals then its illegal,i have asked the manufacturer for a refund but it takes 10 days so im hoping and praying they are wrong in the next few days and i get to keep my bike

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
hi all does anyone know whether it is legal for a pedal assisted electric bike to start just using the throttle instead of pedals it locks at 15.5 mph its a twist and go and the pedals are only used when going up hill and at the moment i am locked into an argument with the police and unable to ride the bike,the dvla says its perfectly legal as long as the cut off is at 15.5 but does not mention whether the pedals can take it faster,the police said if the bike starts with a push and go instead of me using the pedals then its illegal,i have asked the manufacturer for a refund but it takes 10 days so im hoping and praying they are wrong in the next few days and i get to keep my bike
The info that you need is on here
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/electric-bikes-uk-law-234973

to be short the law changed on 1 Jan 2016 to make throttle illegal
if it was imported/made/originally bought (I think) before 1 Jan 2016 then it has Grandfather rights and is allowed to have a throttle (e.g. my Powacycle Salisbury)

lyndavies1966

Jun 13, 2019
thankyou for getting back to me unfortunately the manufacture or the company i bought it from (e rider.com) has said he cant give me any info on that,if he could it would have solved all this

lyndavies1966

Jun 13, 2019
looking at it it looks like a moped but on their site e rider .com it says its a electric bike and no insurance ect needed

lyndavies1966

Jun 13, 2019
hi all iv had a little bit of information given to me regarding my electric bike,giving me a smidgion of hope to hopefully ride it again,someone told me that if i had a plate stating that its fully road legal and the manufacturers name and power output then its legal for me to ride without insurance driving licence ect anyone know if this is correct thankyou

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Though your scooter has pedals it is a twist and go, unless is has type approval and an SVA certificate it isn't legal. Any bike that can be propelled from a standing start using a throttle is illegal, to be legal as an EAPC you have to pedal first before the throttle is allowed to be engaged.

Unlike a normal lookong bike it resembles a scooter/moped thta is where the difficulty lies.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
hi all iv had a little bit of information given to me regarding my electric bike,giving me a smidgion of hope to hopefully ride it again,someone told me that if i had a plate stating that its fully road legal and the manufacturers name and power output then its legal for me to ride without insurance driving licence ect anyone know if this is correct thankyou
You mean like this ?

lyndavies1966

Jun 13, 2019
Though your scooter has pedals it is a twist and go, unless is has type approval and an SVA certificate it isn't legal. Any bike that can be propelled from a standing start using a throttle is illegal, to be legal as an EAPC you have to pedal first before the throttle is allowed to be engaged.

Unlike a normal lookong bike it resembles a scooter/moped thta is where the difficulty lies.
thankyou what is a SVA certificate please

lyndavies1966

Jun 13, 2019
thankyou what is a SVA certificate please
also the plate says it is fully road legal,nominal voltage 48 volts,power output 250 watts and company www.eriderbikes.com the speed cuts out at 15.5 only use pedal assist when going up hill i know it seems im looking for any thing to help my hubby keep his bike because he is disabled but this site is uk and he is still selling these

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
SVA is a testing station that certifies said machine for type approval, cost is about £55 if you can find one that will do it. The process is not straight forward afaik.