Helmet camera

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Hi.....after a particularily bad altercation with a motorist I'm thinking I will start wearing a camera...which is one of the best to buy ?

...many thanks....Mike

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Hi.....after a particularily bad altercation with a motorist I'm thinking I will start wearing a camera...which is one of the best to buy ?

...many thanks....Mike

Save your money and put it towards a taser and a hatchet. These two articles will enable you to put forward your perspective of the incident in a way which the reviewing video footage will never be able to achieve.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
The act20 action cam works well: Loads of information on Google:

Records in 720HD, has 120 degree wide angle lens
Battery lasts about 3 hours per charge
A 16 gig micro SD card gives about 3 hours' recording
Records in 20 minute segments, making it easy to find the bit you want
Records Date/Time stamp if wanted
Costs around £50.00ish with a card

There are better cameras & there are cheaper cameras.....But I don't think there's a better, cheaper camera.... But I may well be wrong :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 4366

I use this one:
Lot's of mounting options
Full 1080p - can record a numberplate at up to about 40m
Battery lasts about 2 hours
Screen on side to confirm what you're recording (very important)
Does rolling-road recording so you never run out of SD card.
Can record continuous or break into chunks for easy editing/review

HD 1080P 1.5" Monitor Helmet Sport Mini DV DVR Camera | eBay
1.5" TFT HD Helmet Sport Action DVR Video Cam Recorder Waterproof Camera USB 2.0 | eBay
Cheapest here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cheap-Full-HD-1080P-LCD-Extreme-Sport-Camera-Helmet-Motorbike-Car-DVR-Camcorder-/300835435151?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item460b30728f

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Thanks Jack and d8veh...appreciate the info.
I watched the ACT20 on you tube and the guy demonstrating appeared to have trouble getting readable files onto the computer...I wouldn't need them kind of problems :)

I watched a brilliant camera for £50 before realizing that £50 was the fixing kit, the cam was £190 :)

Initially I need to buy a cheapish one 'till I know what to look for.

thanks again....Mike

D

Deleted member 4366

I'll guarantee that you'll be happy with the one I have. You won't be able to see any samples of its video becsuse no host will show it in 1080p. They all cut it down to 720 or 480.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Obviously more than you want to pay but this seems to be the most popular amongst action camera users

HERO3 Cameras | More Powerful in Every Way | Most Advanced GoPro

I think this is because not only is it a good camera but there are a large number of accessories for it allowing it to be used in all sorts of situations and environments.

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
I use the same as D8veh and never had a problem with it. Probably the best one for quality to price ratio.

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
I use this one:
Lot's of mounting options
Full 1080p - can record a numberplate at up to about 40m
Battery lasts about 2 hours
Screen on side to confirm what you're recording (very important)
Does rolling-road recording so you never run out of SD card.
Can record continuous or break into chunks for easy editing/review

HD 1080P 1.5" Monitor Helmet Sport Mini DV DVR Camera | eBay
1.5" TFT HD Helmet Sport Action DVR Video Cam Recorder Waterproof Camera USB 2.0 | eBay
Cheapest here:
Cheap Full HD 1080P LCD Extreme Sport Camera Helmet Motorbike Car DVR Camcorder | eBay
sorry to hijack this thread but i am now looking at an action camera to put onto my helmet. i cant put it onto the handle bars as there just isnt room with the controller, light etc.

so looking at the one d8ve has recommended i wondered if it would compare favourable with the one reviewed by techmoan, the ProView HD from chinavasion.

does the one recommended by d8veh secure well to a helmet? can it go on the side or does it not have a lens that can rotate? does it have to go on the top?

thanks guys

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Thanks Jack and d8veh...appreciate the info.
I watched the ACT20 on you tube and the guy demonstrating appeared to have trouble getting readable files onto the computer...I wouldn't need them kind of problems :)

I watched a brilliant camera for £50 before realizing that £50 was the fixing kit, the cam was £190 :)

Initially I need to buy a cheapish one 'till I know what to look for.

thanks again....Mike
And that's why i read things over and over again about six time, then i read it one more for the last time making it the seventh for it to sink in properly.

MS

D

Deleted member 4366

The picture from that SJ1000 camera was clear enough for general action filming, and it had a lot of nice features; however, the wide angle compresses the picture to the side, so car number plates are not as clear as some others with less angle. Youtube might have done some additional compression or other adjustment, so it's not definite, but I found that the cars needed to be very close before you could read the numbers. Be aware of that if that is one of your requirements.

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
i looked at the sj1000 techmoan reviewed but it isnt the best form factor to fit to a cycle helmet.

the form is the reason i am looking at d8veh's recommendation and the proview hd from chinavasion techmoan also reviewd.

i would really appreciate recommendations based on the 2 above and any others with similar form.