Helmets - again!

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I know the helmet debate has been done to death in these pages but while many readers here might have seen the attached video, I only saw it a little while ago and I remain ambivalent on the subject.

That said, although I have owned a helmet for a few years, I have rarely worn it but I have to admit to using it with increasing frequency over the last few months.

The clip might help some non-helmet wearers arrive at a conclusion in respect of their own safety:

Tom

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
That video resumes pretty much what has been said here.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Pedestrian fatalities 448 in 2016, cyclist deaths 102. Maybe it's time for a campaign to get pedestrians to wear plastic hats.
Ratios of 2016 pedestrian to cyclists deaths:

Pedestrians: 0.00075% of pedestrians.

Cyclists: 0.005% of cyclists population.

Ergo cyclists 6.7 times more likely to die during their activity.

But of course both activities are very safe.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Pedestrian fatalities 448 in 2016, cyclist deaths 102. Maybe it's time for a campaign to get pedestrians to wear plastic hats.

wheeler
How about neck braces so they can't look down at their phone? :rolleyes:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Ratios of 2016 pedestrian to cyclists deaths:

Pedestrians: 0.00075% of pedestrians.

Cyclists: 0.005% of cyclists population.

Ergo cyclists 6.7 times more likely to die during their activity.

But of course both activities are very safe.
The possible unknown in those figures is the actual fatal injury.
How many cyclists die of a head injury as opposed to crushing?
What exactly are pedestrian fatalities?
i.e. limited to road accidents, do they count people who fall and die in other situations including their home (Both my father and step mother fell whilst walking inside the house, usual thing, broken hip, operation, failed to thrive and passed away)
Walking could be far more dangerous than you think!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The possible unknown in those figures is the actual fatal injury.
How many cyclists die of a head injury as opposed to crushing?
What exactly are pedestrian fatalities?
i.e. limited to road accidents, do they count people who fall and die in other situations including their home (Both my father and step mother fell whilst walking inside the house, usual thing, broken hip, operation, failed to thrive and passed away)
Walking could be far more dangerous than you think!
These are the trouble, pedestrian deaths are not categorised to type.

As for the crushing, the majority of cyclist deaths can be by that cause. In London with between 9 and 13 deaths in recent years very few have been due to head injury. One year all 9 were by crushing and this is why some of us are a bit dismissive about helmet wearing, especially when slower riders unlikely to be sent flying over the bars.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
These are the trouble, pedestrian deaths are not categorised to type.

As for the crushing, the majority of cyclist deaths can be by that cause. In London with between 9 and 13 deaths in recent years very few have been due to head injury. One year all 9 were by crushing and this is why some of us are a bit dismissive about helmet wearing, especially when slower riders unlikely to be sent flying over the bars.
As a recent convert to flying over bars and probably one of the faster riders I have never hit my head, ever. The day I do hit it, and if I die from it, that will mean my time had come, my 9 lives were up... :)

I carry a discreet scar on my face where a tooth perforated cheek during a motorbike accident. Jaw bone and probably life saved by full face helmet.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Using deaths as the measure is, possibly, rather one-dimensional. From a personal point of view, if I die I am dead, and that's it. If I suffer a brain injury, from which a helmet just might have protected me, I might go through years of suffering.

So far, the worst cycling injury I have had was flying over handlebars when I hit a stone in the road, and then hit a kerb, on a fairly fast downhill. Hands and knees were badly scraged plus many bruises. That was towards fifty years ago... It is why I have just bought some summer gloves. Don't intend ever doing that to my hands again.

ianboydsnr

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2018
Cumbria
I mostly wear a helmet, but occasionally I go out without, if I am going shopping I won’t bother, I think we all assess risk differently, and my opinion is that they should be encouraged, but not compulsory, even if they were compulsory, who is going to enforce it, they can’t seem to enforce driving and using a mobile,
If you legislate about risk, where do you stop, hi vis for pedestrians,

If they want to promote safety, how about a public servic film campagn about overtaking cyclists, and exploding the myths that car drivers seem to think are illegal, like riding in pairs.

If you want to wear a helmet all the time, then just do it, but don’t try to force us to be the same.

I don’t think that people will be put off if they have to wear one, but other users are more wary around you if your not wearing one, and I will ride faster if I am wearing a helmet, mainly because I am out for a fast ride, rather than going down the shops.

Last edited:

Hightechpete

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2018
west Wales
A few years ago whilst driving home from work along a relatively quiet road, I came upon a cyclist laying in the road. He was unconscious, having left a good piece of his scalp on the tarmac, he wasn't breathing properly and was turning blue. I put him in the recovery position which probably saved his life.

That's why I always wear a helmet, no great imposition when you consider an impact at 12 m.p.h is likely to crack your skull and render you unconscious.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
this thread is bouncing up and down ?

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Re-reading some of this thread, a thought suddenly hit me. If I didn't wear a helmet, just what would I wear in the rain and snow? I have a cheap helmet cover which effectively stops rain getting through to my skull. If I didn't have a helmet and cover, I'd want something else that would do a lot of the same job.

ianboydsnr

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2018
Cumbria
Re-reading some of this thread, a thought suddenly hit me. If I didn't wear a helmet, just what would I wear in the rain and snow? I have a cheap helmet cover which effectively stops rain getting through to my skull. If I didn't have a helmet and cover, I'd want something else that would do a lot of the same job.
A Tilley hat, like I do.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it is my end

John Cee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 19, 2018
sheffield
I wear a jaunty flat cap.