HELMETS - but different this time

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This thread isn't intended to influence whether anyone wears a cycle helmet or doesn't.

That is entirely a matter of personal choice and I fully respect the choice of those who do. The primary intention of the thread is to show that enforcing wearing by legislation is very silly since it results in large falls in the rate of cycling and increases the deaths and serious injury rates of those who still cycle. The secondary intention of the thread is to justify the choice of the many millions who don't wear them, which includes those in the major cycling nations in Europe.

The evidential arguments below have some appended reference numbers as Links. I've used deaths for simplicity but the same is true for KSI (Killed and seriously injured)

Do cycle helmets protect against head injury from impacts? Yes of course they do, it would be irrational to suggest otherwise. Does cycle helmet wearing reduce the number or proportion of cyclists getting killed or seriously injured? No it does not, it can actually increase those in two ways. First is the well proven fact that the fewer cyclists that are on the road, the greater they are at risk due to drivers lessened awareness of bicycles. These rounded annual figures I posted in 2016 illustrate that well:

Australia with only 1% cycling has 1 death per 4600 cyclists. 100% Helmet wearing compulsory.

London with 4.6% cycling has one death per 20,000 cyclists. 27% wearing helmets.

Britain overall with 3% cycling has 1 death per 17,700 cyclists. 18% wearing helmets.

The Netherlands with 70% cycling has 1 death per 59,000 cyclists. 0.5% wearing helmets. (1)

Clearly it is the numbers cycling and not cycle helmets that keeps cyclists safe.

Why does Australia have such a low cycling rate, the lowest in the world? It's because they made helmet wearing compulsory, a major deterrent to cycling. Similar is true for New Zealand, some US and Canadian jurisdictions, and to degrees Finland, Spain, the Czech Republic, Sweden and Iceland where some legislation has been introduced. Compare that with The Netherlands where they ride in normal street clothes without helmets and are the safest cyclists in the world. Before anyone says it, that is not all due to infrastructure, similar is true for Denmark with a fraction of that cycling infrastructure. (2)

The second reason cycle helmet wearing can increase the risk of accidents of all kinds is the contentious one of risk compensation, that those who wear protection can be inclined to take more risks. Of course it is difficult to produce evidence for such a behaviour, but some arguably exists. For example I give the following from 2016 on the latest cyclist death statistics in London published at that time, the year 2014:

In 2014 there were 13 cyclist deaths in London. all 13 wearing a cycle helmet. Almost every one was crushed to death by a vehicle running over them, the most common cause of London cyclist death, none died from a head injury. At that time the surveyed helmet wearing rate in London was 27%. So all London's cycling deaths resulted from the quarter of cyclists wearing helmets. The three quarters of cyclists not wearing helmets resulted in no deaths. Similar can be shown for any of the years of the last few decades and there's data online that you can check. I contend that this is due to risk compensation by helmet wearers feeling safer, and greater care by non-wearers knowing how vulnerable they are.

Of course none of us consciously think "I'm wearing a helmet so I'll take risks", that would be daft. The problem is that the vast majority of all the micro decisions we continuously make in in huge numbers during any activity are by our subconcious minds and we aren't even aware of them. I won't clutter this post with the proofs but if you want to know more, just ask.

There's also the study by Dr Ian Walker, a traffic psychologist from the University of Bath, suggesting wearing a helmet might make a collision more likely in the first place. Drivers pass closer when overtaking cyclists wearing helmets than when overtaking bare-headed cyclists, increasing the risk of a collision, the research has found. (3)

Risk Compensation and Bicycle Helmets published by Phillips, Fyhri and Sagberg in 2011 reported “Our results show increased cycling speed and decreased risk perception in a helmet-on compared to a helmet-off condition among cyclists used to wearing helmets, a finding that is in line with the theory of risk compensation. However, for those cyclists not used to helmets there were no differences in either risk or behaviour between the helmet-off and helmet-on conditions.” These findings support the theory of risk compensation among cyclists in a mandatory helmet environment where they are used to wearing helmets.

I've implied in paragraph 3 above that the more cycling there is on the roads, the less cyclists are at risk due to greater driver awareness of bicycles. Known as "Safety in Numbers", I believe that is accepted in this forum, but for some more evidence consider this. Back in the 1980s London cycling was in the doldrums due mainly to fear, so there was very little cycle commuting or other utility cycling.

But then by positive action of one inspired person, Ken Livingstone, London's cycling began to rapidly increase and over the last three decades has now reached 600,000 daily commutes plus a large degree of other utility cycling, making us by far the cycling capital of Britain. And although there is large year on year variation, annual deaths have been falling from a 1986 peak of 33 deaths in one year. In the post 2000 years with cycling doubled, the average per annum was 18 deaths. In the last five years with cycling at an all time high the average is 8.6 per annum. That's a drop in deaths of 52%. In the last pre-Covid year of 2019 we reached a new low of just 5 deaths. The message is again very clear, the more cyclists there are, the safer they are.

There are of course other reasons than cyclist road safety why we should increase utility cycling. Of benefit to all they are chiefly reduction in motor vehicle use and the health benefits of the exercise that cycling provides, itself reducing the death rate. To achieve that cycling increase we need look no further than The Netherlands. Many mistakenly believe the success there is due to an excellent cycling infrastructure, but that is very far from the truth as I'll show.

By 1970 the Dutch with cycling at a low of about 40% were hard on our heels in our UK's even greater loss of cycling and increase in car usage. But then in 1972 the Dutch government acted decisively against car use with ever increasing restrictions, while making life better for cyclists, mainly by more cycling freedom and active promotion. They had no cycling infrastructure at the time and although starting a program to achieve that, it was to take many decades and still has much to be done. The outcome of those 1972 measures was a continuous recovery in the rate of cycling through to 1990, importantly by ordinary ex car drivers still dressed as they always had been without any protective gear and cycling simply for transport without any hint of sporting bias. So it was on sit upright bikes frequently with chaincases and even skirt guards to protect their street clothes, hub gears and low effort speeds typically around 10 mph. And that is how it has continued to this day with 70% of the population cycling virtually every day for all and any purpose without any special preparation.

The majority of their infrastructure, which is still being expanded, followed the cycling increases, it never led them as so many wrongly believe. Another mistaken belief is that the Dutch "Strict Liability" law of the early 1990s, thought to be making drivers wholly responsible in motor vehicle/cycle collisions, encouraged more cycling. But again this isn't true since that law has proportionality and the Dutch have no strict liability term. (4)

So how do we greatly increase cycling volumes and make it safer? I'd suggest we largely follow what the Dutch did from 1972 on, with some extras:

1) Clamp down on the ways motor vehicles are used, for example by giving priority at junctions to cyclists and pedestrians the Dutch way, making them the most important road users at all times with motor vehicles giving way.

2) A complete absence of promotion of safety gear like helmets and hi-viz by officialdom and the likes of ROSPA, because that has been largely responsible for the widespread perception that cycling in Britain is dangerous, deterring it's adoption. That has led to the ridiculous situation that the majority under the age of 45 have never learnt to ride bicycles due to parental fear from the 1980s on. Pedestrians and drivers account for five and four times the number of fatal head injuries as cyclists, but no-one is calling for pedestrians to wear helmets although the fatal head injury rates are similar for cyclists and pedestrians.

3) Active continuous promotion of utility cycling with the emphasis on it being healthy, safe and normal, without any hint or mention of a sporting connection. The media must, if necessary through government pressure, play a large part in this and cycle dealers also have a large part to play by not pushing protective gear for road use.

4) The introduction of a Dutch style limited liability law to protect cyclists and pedestrians, making them feel safer when normally dressed.

5) Reduction of private car use by enforcement. One example of how this has been very successfully done in some countries is by every other day use only, via colour coded number plates making it easy to police. Another way is by taxing according to annual mileage covered, the more one drives, the more expensive it gets per mile.

6) Stay off cyclists backs in the way we do with pedestrians, giving near complete freedom the Dutch way. Please skip the ad and watch the first video on the link 5 at the end of this paragraph right through to fully understand how complete this freedom is, while remembering that despite the scary things you'll see, Dutch cyclists are by far the safest in the world (5)

The few details I've given in this post are proof enough that to make cycling safer and more popular, the worst thing one can do is enforce helmet wearing, reinforcing the false impression that cycling is very dangerous, reducing the incidence of cycling and increasing the accident rate. The best thing one can do is to greatly increase cycling and anything that can reduce it must be very strongly opposed. Fortunately our UK governments know that well and have always killed any attempt to introduce helmet wearing compulsion, knowing what a proven killer that is in both senses.

Some other views on on cycle helmet wearing:

Mayrhoffer 2008: "Despite the lack of helmets, cycling in the Netherlands is safer than in any other country, and the Dutch have one-third the number of cycling fatalities (per 100,000 people) that Australia has."

The UK's CTC say that cycling in the Netherlands and Denmark is perceived as a "normal" activity requiring no special clothing or equipment.

Pucher and Buehler state: "The Dutch cycling experts and planners interviewed for this paper adamantly opposed the use of helmets, claiming that helmets discourage cycling by making it less convenient, less comfortable, and less fashionable. They also mention the possibility that helmets would make cycling more dangerous by giving cyclists a false sense of safety and thus encouraging riskier riding behavior.

-------------------------------------------

As well as the number links 1 to 5 in brackets after the texts above, there follow some links giving additional information on the subjects discussed above, including much supporting data:

Last edited:

Deus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2014
Dewsbury
What a well written post you have certainly convinced me that compulsory helmet wearing does not mean safer cycling

Reactions: richtea99

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
Every single nation or state that has made helmet wearing compusory has, without exception, seen a sharp drop in cycling numbers and a rise in the cycling death rate.

Not only that, a regular cyclist can expect to live on average 7 years longer than a sedentary person. The risk of premature death from inactivity is massively higher than the risk of death from cycling.

For every one billion journey miles 59 pedestrians die, compared to 53 cyclists. Cycling is, demonstrably, mile for mile safer than walking (source - RoSPA). Why then is there so much socital pressure on cyclists to dress like a lighthouse and wear a lid? In that vein, around 9 motorists die for every 1 billion journey miles, but the rate of death attributable to head injuries among motorists is actually far higher than for cyclists, yet motorists aren't pressured into wearing bits of polystyrene on there head.

Cycle helmets may or not help reduce the incidence of death or serious injury - that's a debate someone else can have. However, if we assume for a moment that they do indeed work in reducing casualties then cyclists really ought to be at the very back of the queue when it comes to being compelled or pressured to wear one, because simply going for a stroll is more likely to kill you and travelling in a car is more likely to kill you via a traumatic head injury.

Reactions: Andy1865 and flecc

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Thanks for posting this, it's very well written and has already had some interesting replies.

I have family in Denmark. As explained to me their highway code gives right of way to cyclists, as a result car drivers are hyper-alert looking for cyclists at junctions etc. It also causes car drivers to grumble about reckless cyclists who know they don't need to be alert when cycling.

Portugal, all types of road users seem to exist in harmony (granted traffic violumes are a lot lower than UK towns cities). Car drivers are very tolerant of pedestrians and cyclists, and it is always acknowledged.

A lot depends how the country promotes road safety, the Tufty club (1960s/70s road awareness campaign) and Cycling proficiency test (a 1970s after-hours cycling inititive for kids held at schools around the country) were the last major projects I can think of in the UK. Time for another?

I'm all in favour of educating cyclist about the benefits of helmets but I value my personal choice very highly and think making helmets mandatory would have a net negative effect on cycling. I've been cycling for decades and never wore a helmet until last year, I now have one I can use but will only wear it if I think my ride requires it.

Reactions: Andy1865 and flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

some bike parks in the uk wont let you ride them unless you have a full face helmet as dh bike riders are fkn crazy ppl, like me :p

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There are all sorts of factors that cause cyclists to die. When you get run over by a juggernaut, a helmet isn't going to be much use. The above data, though interesting, does not prove any correlation between helmets and deaths. It would be very wrong to draw that conclusion.

So, a helmet is not going to help when a 40 ton truck runs over your chest, but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't save you a lot of pain when you fall off your bike and your head hits the kerb-stone, or you run into a pedestrian and clash heads, which is often the result of such a coming together.

Some people would argue that most accidents happen with people that haven't been drinking. Some would draw the conclusion that you're therefore less likely to have an accident if you have been drinking, so it's better to stay drunk.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
There are all sorts of factors that cause cyclists to die. When you get run over by a juggernaut, a helmet isn't going to be much use. The above data, though interesting, does not prove any correlation between helmets and deaths.
Totally agree the only data to prove this would be data showing head injuries of people who hit their head in an accident while wearing or not wearing a helmet.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
It seems to me that helmets first appeared for sports cyclists. Their greater speed and higher level of risk taking would seem to make this resonable. In the same way as rally drivers wear helmets but everyday motorists do not.
However, as I think Flecc pointed out elsewhere, most bike accidents are in collision with a vehicle. I'm not convinced that the helmets available are capable of standing up to the speed differentials possible here. Surely this would need a motorcycle style helmet?
Last year I was out for a walk at a local beach. I saw a young couple out with their toddler (3 or 4) and he was on a kind of pedaless bike thing. He was just pushing it along with his feet, so going about the same speed as running. He had an obviously too large helmet flopping around on his head. Why was he wearing it? If he'd just been running around, like any energetic 4 year old, his parents probably wouldn't have made him wear one, so why here? This seems to illustrate the depth of fear that cycling is inherently more dangerous and should be discouraged.
I cycle the lanes of West Wales and have myself suffered tirades, from 'concerned friends', that what I'm doing is suicidal and stupid. Needless to say most have never cycled and are acting from the received wisdom of the latest horror headlines.
Choice is fine (my wife wears a helmet, I do not) but compulsion - even by nag pressure - should be avioded.

Reactions: Croxden and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The above data, though interesting, does not prove any correlation between helmets and deaths. It would be very wrong to draw that conclusion.

So, a helmet is not going to help when a 40 ton truck runs over your chest, but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't save you a lot of pain when you fall off your bike and your head hits the kerb-stone, or you run into a pedestrian and clash heads, which is often the result of such a coming together.
No it is not a very wrong conclusion, it is proven that helmet wearing does not reduce the accidents, deaths and serious injuries. You are making the mistake of individualising where of course a helmet helps in individual cases as I've acknowledged at the outset.

But helmets do not help overall and as clearly shown can and do often make things worse in two ways. Fortunately most governments worldwide agree with me.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Totally agree the only data to prove this would be data showing head injuries of people who hit their head in an accident while wearing or not wearing a helmet.
I've acknowledged at the outset that wearing a helmet can and often does improve an individual's situation, to say otherwise would be silly.

Again you make the same mistake of individualising, completely ignoring the fact that compulsory helmet wearing can increase overall the ratios of accidents, injuries and deaths but does always greatly reduce the incidence of cycling.

Your's and VFR's argument would be valid if I was proposing helmet wearing be made illegal so nobody wore them, but I'm not. I'm simply arguing that we continue with freedom of choice in the greater interests of more cycling and less driving benefitting everyone, not just cyclists but the entire community.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danidl

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
One of the strongest advocates for helmet wearing are the A&E Brain trauma guys, dealing with the aftermath of events. Now Since they only ever get to see the results after brain injury crashes, they are both biassed and unrepresentative samples. If we went to the sprains and abrasions clinic , they would advise long sleeves and long woolen trousers. If I was doing BMX ( well maybe in the next life) , or downhill cross-country , gear with reinforced elbow guards, and a helmet are justified, but ambling on a country road at 20km.hr ..just not justified.

• Agree
Reactions: Croxden and flecc

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
No it is not a very wrong conclusion, it is proven that helmet wearing does not reduce the accidents, deaths and serious injuries. You are making the mistake of individualising where of course a helmet helps in individual cases as I've acknowledged at the outset.

But helmets do not help overall and as clearly shown can and do often make things worse in two ways. Fortunately most governments worldwide agree with me.
That's ridiculous. Are you more likely to injure your head while wearing a helmet or not? Helmets in no way contribute to deaths. they only preven some.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's ridiculous. Are you more likely to injure your head while wearing a helmet or not? Helmets in no way contribute to deaths. they only preven some.
What is ridiculous is your stubborn argument about a different, acknowledged and accepted issue.

As stated, I'm arguing about the compulsion issue, that is the subject. Compulsory helmet wearing is widely proven to increase the death rate. As member Edward Elizabeth rightly posted above:

"Every single nation or state that has made helmet wearing compusory has, without exception, seen a sharp drop in cycling numbers and a rise in the cycling death rate."

My argument is that this outcome is so undesirable that compulsion should never be considered. That's all.

Reactions: Peddlin' Pedro

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
What is ridiculous is your stubborn argument about a different, acknowledged and accepted issue.
Actually your figures are totally wrong Holland had the most cycling fatalities in Europe in 2016 followed by Denmark and Germany
EU countries with the highest percentage of bicycle fatalities in 2016 were the Netherlands (19%), Denmark (15%) and Germany (12%). In contrast, e.g. in Greece, Spain and France cyclists constitute only a small part of the road accident fatalities.

Europe road safety and statistics for cyclists - European ...
ec.europa.eu › pdf › statistics › dacota › bfs20xx_cyclists

PDF

• Disagree
Reactions: robert44 and flecc

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon

As stated, I'm arguing about the compulsion issue, that is the subject. Compulsory helmet wearing is widely proven to increase the death rate. As member Edward Elizabeth rightly posted above:

"Every single nation or state that has made helmet wearing compusory has, without exception, seen a sharp drop in cycling numbers and a rise in the cycling death rate."

My argument is that this outcome is so undesirable that compulsion should never be considered. That's all.
Your analysis is completely bogus. Those nations introduced compulsory helmets because they had a high death rate before they introduced compulsory helmets. The death rate wasn't caused by the helmets. The death rate comes from the riding behaviour, driving behaviour, infrastructure, culture, climate, etc.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Actually your figures are totally wrong Holland had the most cycling fatalities in Europe in 2016 followed by Denmark and Germany
EU countries with the highest percentage of bicycle fatalities in 2016 were the Netherlands (19%), Denmark (15%) and Germany (12%). In contrast, e.g. in Greece, Spain and France cyclists constitute only a small part of the road accident fatalities.
Europe road safety and statistics for cyclists - European ...
ec.europa.eu › pdf › statistics › dacota › bfs20xx_cyclists

PDF
Oh dear, how many times must I state death rate. Your percentages are completely irrelevant to this subject of helmet compulsion and a meaningless comparison without cyclists per nation anyway. Bringing an example of the posted figures to today's:

The Dutch have typically 200 deaths per annum from almost 12 million cyclists. That's one per 59,000 cyclists

The UK has typically 100 deaths per annum from some 2 million cyclists, roughly 1 per 20,000.

So we have almost 3 times the death rate of The Netherlands.

That's the correct way to understand the figures to know what is safest, not the percentage of total European deaths without knowing how many cycle in each country.

The Netherlands has the lowest death ratio per cyclist in the world by a huge margin with helmet wearing almost absent, an undisputable fact.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Those nations introduced compulsory helmets because they had a high death rate before they introduced compulsory helmets.
The death rate comes from the riding behaviour, driving behaviour, infrastructure, culture, climate, etc.
Agreed they already had a high death rate before the helmet compulsion

The Australians are not an alien race from another planet, they are largely transposed Europeans. Their relatively small differences cannot possibly account for such immense differences in cycling death rates. That primarily results from their very low incidence of cycling and consequently raised cycling risk without the safety of numbers.

The helmet law resulted in a further sharp drop in cycling thus substantially worsening the situation and further increasing the death rate.

I repeat the quote:

It's a universal truth.

Reactions: robert44

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire

It's a universal truth.
None of your figures show that helmets cause more deaths in an accident than without as you stated previously which is the point being made.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
The only way to determine the advantage or disadvantages of helmet wearing would be to show statistics of head injuries in accidents where the rider died or suffered a head injury caused by a blow to the head. You can't compare Holland to England or other countries to each other as the culture and laws surrounding many of these countries differs greatly ie in Holland cyclists have priority over other road users.

• Disagree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
None of your figures show that helmets cause more deaths in an accident than without as you stated previously which is the point being made.
That is wilful distortion and I have never posted that, please at least be honest in your responses.

Once again you individualise by saying "in an accident".

I have always posted about death ratios and overall by country, where generally less helmet wearing brings a lower accident ratio and more helmet wearing a higher one.

Quite simply, which is best, the lowest rate of deaths in the world without helmet wearing or much higher death rates with lots of helmet wearing up to 100%.

Your denial was of course expected, but it is accepted by most governments that compulsory helmet wearing greatly reduces the incidence of cycling and with it a higher cyclist accident rate. Conversely the safety in numbers of many more cycling has been conclusively proven, past and present. There are many posts in this forum over the years accepting that and i've included proofs in my post.