HELMETS - but different this time

Samcycles

Pedelecer
Apr 26, 2020
Northern Ireland
Let me start by saying I don't want to see compulsory helmet wearing for cycling in the UK. I support freedom of choice and people taking responsibility for their choices.
Over my life I've had five serious head injuries requiring stitches or staples, the worst took 27 stitches, none of these happened while cycling, I've been lucky and have never suffered a brain injury.
However my wife was involved in a car collision in which she had a bump to the head that left a small bruise. Shortly after she developed problems. It took 4 years and several incorrect diagnosis to discover she had a temporal lobe lesion resulting in temporal lobe epilepsy.
She suffered seizures, memory loss and mood changes. She was unable to drive until she had been seizure free for a significant time. She takes medication that controls the seizures but still has problems 20 years later.
My point is even a small knock to the head can cause serious or even life threatening brain injuries or it may not. Life is a lottery.
There is no right or wrong only choices, actions, unforseen incidents and consequences.
Personally I choose to always wear a helmet when cycling, I don't expect people to agree with me and I'm not bothered if they do or don't it's only my opinion and personal choice.
"One of the truest signs of maturity is the ability to disagree with someone while still remaining respectful"

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
"One of the truest signs of maturity is the ability to disagree with someone while still remaining respectful"
Sorry to drift off an interesting topic, but you have summarized what Trump isn't right there.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I originally come from Birmingham, therefore have seen a few redevelopments of the city centre. The 60/70's one in particular wholly favoured the car, with even pedestrians pushed underground into grimy pee smelling subways. The three lane inner ring road was a race track and the underpasses fume laden squeeze points. There was no direct provision for cycling.
Make those on town planning commitees cycle to work - that'll soon sort it out.

It would be good, for a while, for public information to focus wholly on the benefits and pleasures of utility cycling. For too long it has been presented as this dangerous/suicidal extreme sports thing where, if you're not red in the face with bulging calves and thighs, you aint doin' it proper.
It's a holistic thing. How many new retail developments have I seen where the cycle parking is a few stainless steel hoops tucked away out of sight. Where the trumpeted cycle provision is a bit of white paint on the road totally ignored by all. The city centre 'cycle path' that has 'Cyclists dismount here' signs at every junction.
This is a time of encouagement. Cycling numbers need to go up to have a voice relevant to politico's.
Helmets are available to use if one chooses, unfortunately safe cycling infrastructure isn't.
But none of it is any use without a general increase in self responsibility, across the board. From cycling to enviroment/air quality, from what I do with my disposable mask to the amount of plastic in the oceans.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
300k for a arm lol id be expecting one of these.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If more people start riding bike then the overall fitness of the population will increase - hence reeducing the load on the NHS
Wishful thinking. Everybody will get old and have problems that need sorting by the NHS - some sooner than other. It's a bit like all the lives they saved by stopping smoking. How many of them are never going to die? All this does is shift the problem from one place/time to another. Some are blaming the strain on the NHS on the aging population. Did people not get old and die 20 years ago?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
lol id want it to run around on its fingers as well ;) go watch the terminator :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015