Help!..Ave MH7 v Kalkhoff Sahel Compact v blueLABEL PONY?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Near to useless front mudguards are common enough on bikes, but that on this AVE MH model must be one of the worst ever. Cleverly designed to spray muck all over the riders feet, the motor unit and lower frame, it achieves virtually nothing:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But it shouldn't be necessary, a fitted mudguard should do the job, which that one clearly can't. Nor can any of the current MH ones, all cutting off far too high at the rear.

I'm far from alone in this complaint, a number of members have raised it, most recently in a thread on the Bosch units suffering water and dirt ingress.

I don't know whether it's material saving or fashion, but they weren't all like this originally, mudguards used to do the job properly.

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
Thanks Martin for your insights.

Do you think that you might get a blueLabel Pony into stock in the future for test riding / viewing purposes....or due to the limited build factor it is really of take the plunge and order one?

Also do you know if the handlebars twist round like on the Kalkoff, as this is an important factor for are space issue.

Thanks again
Hi Motoroaming,
The handlebars DO twist around out of the way...see the Video attached....
Just so you know the Pony is on order, and will be in the shop within 3-4 weeks if anyone wishes to view one.Edit* comes with proper mudguards as standard.

Motoroaming

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 21, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Hi Motoroaming,
The handlebars DO twist around out of the way...see the Video attached....
Just so you know the Pony is on order, and will be in the shop within 3-4 weeks if anyone wishes to view one.Edit* comes with proper mudguards as standard.
Thanks very much Martin. Just as a matter of interest will you be getting anymore stock in of the AVE MH-7 bikes, so we could possibly do a side-by-side test?

Motoroaming

May 21, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Sorry Motoroaming, but I won't be getting any other variant of 20" in for a while as I have 4 other styles of folder/compact available currently.

http://www.onbike.co.uk/electric-bikes-category/folding-electric-bikes/
Ok, thanks.

Just out of interest I note you have a KTM Macina Compact on 24" wheels. I know this may throw another spanner in the works...but if we could get round the space issue how do you think the KTM compares against my initial shortlist (24" wheel size apart!)?

I see it too has folding handlebars.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Motoroamer,

We are national distributors for Riese & Muller in the UK. The Pony is a new bike launched last year at Eurobike. It's based on the award winning blueLABEL charger. Probably the lightest and most nimble electric bike I have ever tried. The revolutionary handlebar stem means you can easily adjust the rake and height of the bars. Coupled to the massive height adjustment on the seat post, this means the bike can be perfectly set up for anyone from 4'6" to 6'4". The handlebar stem folds flat against the frame for easy handling and stowage.

Pony is available in three set ups, Alfine 8 speed hub gears, the ultra clean and quiet Nuvinci CVT with carbon belt drive or the exhilarating 45kph model with XT 10 speed gears although this one is not legal in the UK!

All RM bikes are based on the original Birdy folding bike which is considered to be one of the most comfortable and agile folders available. The RM engineers design their small bikes in such a way they feel and handle like the larger models. Well worth a test ride.

If weight is not a consideration you should also look at the Riese and Muller Kendu, one of the only full suspension small wheeled bikes on the market.

The guys at On Bike will look after you very well indeed!

All the best

David

Last edited:
Reactions: Motoroaming

Motoroaming

May 21, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Hi Motoroamer,

We are national distributors for Riese & Muller in the UK. The Pony is a new bike launched last year at Eurobike. It's based on the award winning blueLABEL charger. Probably the lightest and most nimble electric bike I have ever tried. The revolutionary handlebar stem means you can easily adjust the rake and height of the bars. Coupled to the massive height adjustment on the seat post, this means the bike can be perfectly set up for anyone from 4'6" to 6'4". The handlebar stem folds flat against the frame for easy handling and stowage.

Pony is available in three set ups, Alfine 8 speed hub gears, the ultra clean and quiet Nuvinci CVT with carbon belt drive or the exhilarating 45kph model with XT 10 speed gears although this one is not legal in the UK!

All RM bikes are based on the original Birdy folding bike which is considered to be one of the most comfortable and agile folders available. The RM engineers design their small bikes in such a way they feel and handle like the larger models. Well worth a test ride.

If weight is not a consideration you should also look at the Riese and Muller Kendu, one of the only full suspension small wheeled bikes on the market.

The guys at On Bike will look after you very well indeed!

All the best

David
Thanks very much David for the detailed information. I have contacted Mike at On Bike and am awaiting their stock to arrive so I may take a test ride....hopefully!

Motoroaming

May 21, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
I thought it rather remiss of me if I did not update the situation regarding my opening enquiry and so would like to inform you all I have now placed my order for 2 blueLabel Pony's with the Nuvinci Belt drive. A comprehensive review has already been posted on the site here: blueLABEL Pony Nuvinci

Thanks to OnBike and AMPS for their endeavours and I look forward to picking the bikes up in due course.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
A good choice of make of bike, dealer & importer, I have nothing but praise for them. You should have a good & happy experience riding the bikes for many a year.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I'm sure you will be pleased with the bikes.

Too easy for the ignorant to dismiss a quality 20" wheel ebike as a 'shopper'.

They are a lot more capable than that, and will provide an excellent ride for as along as the battery lasts.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks for the business Motoroaming, much appreciated. You have chosen a fantastic pair of bikes, IMO well worth the investment. Please let me know how you get on, it would be great to see a photo when you receive them.

Beast regards David

Reactions: Motoroaming

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
As most of the regulars on here already know, i'm a Kalkhoff owner as well as recent newbie to Pedelecs. I've seen a few of the other options out there but i've only owned a Kalkhoff Pro Connect for a few months now and have tried other models in the 50 cycles showroom. Other than that i've tried KTM's Macina and a couple of other offerings from Atmosphere bikes...

I highly recommend you make an effort to try the Sahel before you make any major decisions. It's a very solid, very german and very loveable compact in my view and very hard to beat.

Motoroaming

May 21, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Having test ridden Kalkhoff's in Germany we were immediately taken by their quality and performance, and as such hired the Sahel Compact version from Bike Higher in Devon for a weekend to try out on home soil.

I have to admit that they are very good bikes but having compared them against the blueLabel Pony Nuvinci Belt Drive I can honestly say that in terms of build quality, design and performance I am convinced we have selected the better bike for us.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
What are the advantages of these small 20" wheeled bikes when compared with say a 26" bike....I can see the advantages of a small wheeled bike when it's also a folder,stowage in the boot of a car for example but the fixed frame surely negates those advantages.
Please understand am not knocking the product I just don't appreciate the appeal....a number of Chinese suppliers have models which are similar to the MH-7 with fixed frame and crank drive but the prices are similar to 26" wheeled bikes.
KudosDave

Motoroaming

May 21, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Hi KudosDave,

Speaking purely from our own experience the reasoning for a 20" wheel was based upon the following requirements.

We wanted 'proper' EU legal pedelecs that could be stowed safely and securely in our motorhome garage whilst touring.

We did not want a folder (I don't trust them and don't like the look of them!); but the bike needed to fold in other areas ( i.e.handlebars) to meet the accommodation aspect.

We wanted something that was relatively lightweight to handle (as far as ebikes go!) which would aid the storage criteria.

We wanted something that looked like a bike, rode like a bike and was fun to be on.....believe me the Pony is fun to be on!

Our main use of these bikes will be to commute from our motorhome base in to various local areas of interest (towns, cities, tourist attractions) where we can then explore at our leisure.

Our experience over the years has led us to realise that getting around a busy city centre, or visitor attraction, accessing trains etc. is far easier when on a small wheeled bike as opposed to manoeuvring a big heavy 26" wheeled bike through the crowds, over footbridges, etc.

I intended investing seriously in a good e-bike and wanted something I was sure would be reliable and service our needs for a good few years to come; I'm sure there is a saying "Buy cheap, Buy Twice"? I know a good few people who are testimony to that and are already regretting their initial foray into the concept of electric bikes.

So in a nutshell that's us......but we're all different, and all have different needs and wants. That's Life!

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Hi KudosDave,

Speaking purely from our own experience the reasoning for a 20" wheel was based upon the following requirements.

We wanted 'proper' EU legal pedelecs that could be stowed safely and securely in our motorhome garage whilst touring.

We did not want a folder (I don't trust them and don't like the look of them!); but the bike needed to fold in other areas ( i.e.handlebars) to meet the accommodation aspect.

We wanted something that was relatively lightweight to handle (as far as ebikes go!) which would aid the storage criteria.

We wanted something that looked like a bike, rode like a bike and was fun to be on.....believe me the Pony is fun to be on!

Our main use of these bikes will be to commute from our motorhome base in to various local areas of interest (towns, cities, tourist attractions) where we can then explore at our leisure.

Our experience over the years has led us to realise that getting around a busy city centre, or visitor attraction, accessing trains etc. is far easier when on a small wheeled bike as opposed to manoeuvring a big heavy 26" wheeled bike through the crowds, over footbridges, etc.

I intended investing seriously in a good e-bike and wanted something I was sure would be reliable and service our needs for a good few years to come; I'm sure there is a saying "Buy cheap, Buy Twice"? I know a good few people who are testimony to that and are already regretting their initial foray into the concept of electric bikes.

So in a nutshell that's us......but we're all different, and all have different needs and wants. That's Life!
I appreciate and respect your response with one exception,some of these compacts weigh 24 kgs....I am reasonably fit and strong but I find 18 kgs is enough to haul around.
KudosDave

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Dave,

You need to ask yourself why a bicycle had cart wheels in the first place.

Gearing and rolling resistance is about the strength of it.

Gearing can now be sorted for smaller wheels, although you will be aware there are still complaints of some small wheel bikes being under geared.

Slightly higher rolling resistance of smaller wheels is not such a problem on an ebike.

Smaller wheels with balloon tyres provide almost as much comfort and are handier in tight spaces.

The quality 20" wheel ebikes are more fun to ride than a big wheel bike.

They are also very capable, I've done rides of 60 miles on my MH7.

Ultimately not quite as comfy as a big wheel bike - I did my recent 100 mile ride on my Rose 29er.

For transportation, the handlebars on the MH7 flop down, and the steering turns 180 degrees to shorten the package.

The bike can be lifted into the back of my hatchback - seats folded - as quick as I could a conventional folder.

So there are many advantages to a quality 20" wheel ebike.

It is a very different beast to cheap Chinese folder.

As ever, you get what you pay for.