Help. Bike Stolen

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Sorry to hear Phil, hope you get it returned or replaced ok.

I had a motorbike stolen once and I'll never forget that horrible feeling when walking to where I had parked it and realizing that some low life had made off with it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
that no plate is not reg mind
https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

they use that site make fake plates then use the car/van to rob stuff as its less hot than robing a car as well if its a local job for not much money.

and i doubt its even there car as prob borrowed it from someone that dont even know what they did so be careful if you see it again and confront them.

if there the same sort off ppl i know then if you did put up a fight all 4 would of been on top of you and got a kick in as well as taking the bike.

just seems they was sat watching for the right moment you left it to grab it and run so not much you could of done tbh.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Perhaps I am over analysing but ..
1.. they didn't follow me home cos I was off road for most of the last 5 miles of my ride.
2. I live in a cul-de-sac so don't get passing traffic.
3.. I have been seen out and about and have been targeted or they were down here for another reason and just took a chance.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
that no plate is not reg mind
https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

they use that site make fake plates then use the car/van to rob stuff as its less hot than robing a car as well if its a local job for not much money.

and i doubt its even there car as prob borrowed it from someone that dont even know what they did so be careful if you see it again and confront them.

if there the same sort off ppl i know then if you did put up a fight all 4 would of been on top of you and got a kick in as well as taking the bike.

just seems they was sat watching for the right moment you left it to grab it and run so not much you could of done tbh.
Been using this one and going through combinations looking for a white car possibly a Ford.
https://www.instantcarcheck.co.uk/

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
even if you find the car the bike will have been sold already for as much as they could get for it now as they never got the batt with it so if it was stolen to order they prob will not want it now given the price of a new batt and the chances of robing another batt is tiny.

as is i doubt they will get 300 quid for it if that tbh so bad day at the office.

look for.
motor
forks
wheels
rear sus

as some one will buy them at a deal price and then might list them for sale on line not knowing there stolen in the first place but its a long shot tho.

i doubt its less than 10 miles away atm in bits ready to be sold on as parts.

did you not get anything on cctv? might be time to install some pan tilt cams

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
Perhaps I am over analysing but ..
1.. they didn't follow me home cos I was off road for most of the last 5 miles of my ride.
2. I live in a cul-de-sac so don't get passing traffic.
3.. I have been seen out and about and have been targeted or they were down here for another reason and just took a chance.

There is a fair chance that you were being followed on a bike in contact with the car, I cannot see this being a chance crime particularly in a cul de sac. Are there any local houses or shops with cctv? they may have clues. False plates suggests regular criminals so a bit unlikely that they just chanced on your location. Following someone home to steal their bike is as old as the hills. They probably landed lucky as the real purpose would be to drop by for a look at your place before returning to break in.
There were a couple of likely lads doing this on their bikes round here a while back, following folk home and stealing the bikes. However as age and cunning always beats youth and beauty. I led them into a nice trap of a few of their victims and left them to discuss matters in depth.

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Really sorry to hear that Phill, I hope you get it back or your insurance pays you out quickly.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
There is a fair chance that you were being followed on a bike in contact with the car, I cannot see this being a chance crime particularly in a cul de sac. Are there any local houses or shops with cctv? they may have clues. False plates suggests regular criminals so a bit unlikely that they just chanced on your location. Following someone home to steal their bike is as old as the hills. They probably landed lucky as the real purpose would be to drop by for a look at your place before returning to break in.
There were a couple of likely lads doing this on their bikes round here a while back, following folk home and stealing the bikes. However as age and cunning always beats youth and beauty. I led them into a nice trap of a few of their victims and left them to discuss matters in depth.
No def not followed. I came over Ilkley Moor in turbo. Then down the other side and 4 miles on the canal.
No one near me

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
That is appalling. Very sinister too. The runt that took your bike must be very strong to be able to hold the bike. It can't of been the first time they had done it? Must have scratched the car. It's a horrible feeling of violation when something like this happens.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
I'm very sorry to read this. Hope your insurance pays up quickly. To be honest you're lucky you didn't confront them. No bike is worth going to hospital for. A bike can be replaced, you can't.
I must say I'm shocked by the brazen audacity of their MO. Scary.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Phil,

If the car's VRM is false then the possibility exists that it's not stolen. Should this be the case then the police have a Vehicle Descriptive Search application which can be run from a police computer terminal which will give a list of vehicles matching given parameters such as make, model,colour, number of doors, postcode. This takes literally seconds to produce. Obviously there would be too many black Ford Fiestas in your area for this to be viable but if the vehicle was something uncommon then the police may be able to try and identify the culprits especially if this is prevalent in your area.

Lots of ifs, but you never know.
Hi Mate,
Unfortunately its old news now.. Not heard anything more from the cops, but I assume they did their best based on current priorities, and Bike has been replaced so have put the whole sorry saga to bed.... Wrapped up in a big chain and bolted to the wall.