Help from the East.....

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Great Rob....any preference for weekend or weekday ?
If it has to be a weekend then I think for me it would have to be the second last weekend of April......

Perhaps we can start trying to firm up the plans.....what about you willin ?

Lynda :)
Weekend best for me, and as you said probably the most doable for the greatest number of the others.

So that looks like either April 20 or 21.

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
Make an extra day or 2 for up here, Elsie and me are arranging a day. Also was going to try sorting a ride with Willin and Rob.
Erm Robf you was mentioned :p

Not sure about riding with a Storck, my dog of a bike might bite it

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I suppose we could try to leave it till the last week before deciding which day depending on the weather forecast ?
But either day is good for me so i will leave it to you guys, who wont be on holiday like me, to decide which you all prefer.

Im going to look further into the campsite willin suggested.....how far along the trail is it and would it be a convenient place to all meet up at ?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Mucky - yes I thought the 'Rob' was me - thanks.

Lynn,

Choosing the day nearer the time is a good idea and fine by me.

Which campsite are we talking about?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Byreside Campsite....do you know it ?

Right on the trail apparently.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Byreside Campsite....do you know it ?

Right on the trail apparently.

Don't know it, but the pics of the site look good and there are a couple of a very suitable looking paths.

Byreside Caravan Site

Fine by me because I'll putting the Brommie in the boot and coming by car.

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
Don't know it, but the pics of the site look good and there are a couple of a very suitable looking paths.

Byreside Caravan Site

Fine by me because I'll putting the Brommie in the boot and coming by car.
I have often ridden past this campsite - I only live 4 miles away - and it is right beside the C2C/Derwent Walk. You go through the gate onto the Derwent Walk and turn left to head toward Consett and right to head toward Rowlands Gill and the Tyne Valley - very easy riding either way. It is, though, very rural and nowhere near anywhere you could walk to like a shop - apart from the Derwent Walk Inn. If you want somewhere a bit more urban (with a Tesco's, a post office and chip shop - but NO pub!! ) then there is a caravan park in Rowlands Gill beside the River Derwent and obviously the C2C - the Derwent Park Caravan and Campsite. I haven't stayed at either of these - mainly because I live here - so can't offer any further advice.

I am fine with any of the dates mentioned and Mrs. Willin is definitely up for a meal out at the Derwent Walk Inn. Or a BBQ at Lynda's!

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
The more rural the better for me Willin !

As I said, I suggest we keep the choice of day, saturday or sunday , till we get the weather forecast and hopefully we can combine with a BBQ at the van.....if the weather is bad then pub it is.

How many miles should we be able to fit in comfortably ? Seeing as you will be the 'tour guide' you can decide on the direction we head in but I would quite like to see some of the sculptures and mosaics that I believe are scattered around ?

After this weekend I will be 'drive camping' in South Shields at my brothers and hopefully fitting in more of the coastal path down to sunderland, up thru Whitley Bay and inland to the Tyne bridges again.

I will also be on a

CycleCharge | Charge on the move

mission :D

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
The more rural the better for me Willin !

As I said, I suggest we keep the choice of day, saturday or sunday , till we get the weather forecast and hopefully we can combine with a BBQ at the van.....if the weather is bad then pub it is.

How many miles should we be able to fit in comfortably ? Seeing as you will be the 'tour guide' you can decide on the direction we head in but I would quite like to see some of the sculptures and mosaics that I believe are scattered around ?

After this weekend I will be 'drive camping' in South Shields at my brothers and hopefully fitting in more of the coastal path down to sunderland, up thru Whitley Bay and inland to the Tyne bridges again.

I will also be on a

CycleCharge | Charge on the move

mission :D

Byreside sounds ideal then

I usually aim to do about 22 miles on a route bearing in mind there is usually a fair bit of ascent involved. It also depends on whether you want to ride only from the campsite or are prepared to transport the bikes a few miles. There is a route we can do which will involve just a bit of road work but which certainly take you past some of the sculptures which should fit in with the target mileage - I'll do it in a few days just to check it out. There also the Waskerley Way route up to Parkhead Station above Stanhope which has superb views of the North Pennines - if it is clear that is - but not much in the way of sculptures. That should just about fit in as well.

You can do your Cyclecharge recruitment at the Derwent Walk Inn and also at Parkhead Station if we get up there.

Waskerley Way - LDWA Long Distance Paths

Parkhead Station :: The Waskerly Way

BTW google "Consett Sculptures" to find images of some of these en route.

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
I recon here Welcome to Knitsley Farm Shop

not worked out the mileage yet but its halfway from Consett to Lanchester and Ive been trying to get her to be a cyclecharge but needs Lynda to push her a bit.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Sounds like we are well on the way to being sorted.

About 20 miles is far enough on the Brompton, although riding in a group is always easier so the distance shouldn't be a problem for any of us.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Its looking good......

Heres hoping we get a few more joining in, the more the merrier.

Starting and finishing at the campsite would definitely suit me best with having the dogs to see to, although they are well used to sleeping whilst Im away :)

Now lets just hope for half decent weather, it would be lovely to have a clear day to admire all those fantastic views.

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
OK then that seems sorted. I'll do the proposed routes and check the mileages and get back to you all. If it's a bit too far for some whose range won't cover the full distance there are several access points/car parks where a vehicle can be parked to join or leave.

There will be a bit of road work and also a little bit of riding through part of Consett though most of the gradients are easy.

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
Ive checked the mileage to farmshop and that was 7 and a bit each way but Lynda likes the idea of a viaduct so we could head up to A68. Then there is hardly any road work, just the 2 to cross..Blackhill and the Moorside road

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I will be happy just to see as much wild countryside as possible......preferably without snow lol

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
I have had a quick check on Memory Map for two possible routes.

One is just following the C2C from the campsite up to Parkhead Station and back - about 22 miles (11 each way) - this has fantastic scenery and a possibility of a bit of recharging if refreshments are purchased.

The other is a circuitous route once we get to Consett at The Grove from the campsite then going to Leadgate - Annfield Plain -Maiden Law - Lanchester - The Grove - campsite. Again about 22 miles in total and mostly on the C2C (both branches). No possibility of a recharge but some great sculptures en route but not such spectacular scenery and a bit of roadwork/urban riding.

Again I'll check these out on the bike to confirm accuracy of distance and points of interest.

Of course if the weather is crap then people can just ride their bikes down the C2C to the MetroCentre and go shopping!!

It's not a bad ride actually - and you could pop in to Storck Raddar and spend a lot on one of their bikes.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Hmmmmm.......Metro Centre.....very tempting, I LOVE the metrocentre......

Not so bothered about a Storck but wouldnt mind a copy of their catalogue ;)

Seriously plan 1 sounds best for scenery and ease....I can always do a couple of sculptures the next day on my own.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
I am thinking of buying their catalogue and selling. I am sure it would fly off the shelves or ebay for that matter!

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Great minds...........

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
Hmmmmm.......Metro Centre.....very tempting, I LOVE the metrocentre......

Not so bothered about a Storck but wouldnt mind a copy of their catalogue ;)

Seriously plan 1 sounds best for scenery and ease....I can always do a couple of sculptures the next day on my own.

OK then Plan One it is! (You'll still see a couple of Sculptures en route)