Help- How do I add a throttle with my set up?

Footpath

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 26, 2018
Australia
Hi Everyone,
I recently bought a new trike but want to mod it up (and make it go faster) but I’m a newbie and have limited knowledge... but I’m learning fast.
So I have. KT48ZWSR controller and a Bafang front hub motor 250w with a 48v battery. I’m about to update the display from a lame 880 to a KT LCD8. Thanks to help on this forum I now know the parameters I need to apply.

My handlebars have a green 3 pin waterproof plug to the Display which I guess is just as easy as unplug old, plug in new and program...is that right? The only other plug is a red two pin plug. Photos are coming but not yet approved on this forum. The control box which I have opened has a mess of wires of all different colours with clip type plugs on their ends. The wires are threaded through a small hole in the top of the bike frame near handlebars and come out at bottom near control box. If it helps, I will post pics as soon as they appear- probably in 12 -24 hours time as its almost 8 pm in Australia right now. I want to put a half twist throttle on the left handlebar but not sure how to wire it up etc. I don’t know what I’m doing, please help. If worst case I can’t add the throttle i’ll just forget about it and go with the pedal assist thing. Should I upgrade to a better KT controller for better performance?

Thanks in advance, kym p.s further pics coming.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello footpath,

you need to show us the throttle connector on your controller. It usually has 3 wires, yellow blue and red.
It is unlikely that you can connect the throttle to a modular cabling system, you will need to buy the correct part to connect directly to your controller.
Something like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Universal-Thumb-Throttle-Speed-Control-E-bike-Electric-Bike-Scooter-Wires-Handle/14005901040

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17-E-bike-Wuxing-108X-Thumb-Throttle-without-Handle-Ebike-Bicycle/332586360868

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
KT controllers usually have throttle wiring already supplied from the controller it should be a 3pin black connector. Their standard wire colour for throttle is Red/Black/Blue if that black female wire connecter in pic 3 has these colours then all you need is a throttle with sm3 male connector for it to work, all you have to do is to make sure wiring is in the correct sequence for it to work.
Red v+ , Black v- & Blue signal.

Throttles have different colour wires though red & black are commonly used and signal may be white or any other colour.
2 pin red julet is for brake cut outs.

Last edited:

Footpath

Sep 26, 2018
Australia
Hey again, ok, so I have deciphered which wires on the control box are for what function. I have accounted for and labelled wires in photos (coming once approved) with what they are. The interesting thing is, there is absolutely no wires for a throttle. There is, however a black and purple wire with two plugs- one plug is not being used, the other is plugged into something- maybe the Nexus gears?
I might unscrew the box cover and see if the throttle wires are inside?
Cheers

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Leave the red 2-pin connectors at the front alone, they are for the brake sensors.
Your only access is at the controller. Let's concentrate on that.
The white AMP socket in this picture seems to be for the throttle.
Is it not connected to anything at the moment?

Footpath

Sep 26, 2018
Australia
Hi Again,
Here are the photos of my wires as best I can identify them. The previous photos I took had the wires unlatched / unhooked. I re hooked them as they were originally and as you can see, it appears there are no throttle wires. I am happy to buy a new more powerful controller with throttle wires if anyone can send me a link where to get it. Thanks...

Footpath

Sep 26, 2018
Australia
The two white AMP sockets are for the LCD screen and the Hall Motor. I looked at many photos of KT controllers to come to this conclusion. Oddly, they all had throttle - red black blue wires in one AMP socket except mine. I wonder if it is a super basic or cheap controller and therefore no throttle?
I’m trying to look for a suitable new 17a controller. :)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
So far, I can easily identify the battery, LED panel, motor and PAS connections.

it's easy to buy a new controller and LCD but before you do that, just to be sure, where do the brake sensors go to on your controller?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Footpath

Sep 26, 2018
Australia
So far, I can easily identify the battery, LED panel, motor and PAS connections.

it's easy to buy a new controller and LCD but before you do that, just to be sure, where do the brake sensors go to on your controller?

****Thats a good question! Are they meant to be red, black and yellow? I can’t see them. Could they be 3 of the 6 the wires for the Motor Hall sensor? Or are they the purple and black wires that I have no idea where they lead? If not, they aren’t visible, come to think of it, that’s weird...

Footpath

Sep 26, 2018
Australia
***Hi Neal, if that controller will be a good fit I’ll buy it! I’m perplexed at my controller in that it seems to be missing the brake wires as well as the throttle. I’ve posted so many pics under the folder for trikes that I’ve used up my limit.
Money isn’t an issue, if you and Woosh think this is a good controller that would solve my problems then I’ll buy it ...Hmm, now for a throttle. I was thinking of a left half twist. What do you think? Thanks for your time.
Cheers

Footpath

Sep 26, 2018
Australia
****Thats a good question! Are they meant to be red, black and yellow? I can’t see them. Could they be 3 of the 6 the wires for the Motor Hall sensor? Or are they the purple and black wires that I have no idea where they lead? If not, they aren’t visible, come to think of it, that’s weird...
Thanks Woosh for your help and time so far...I think I’ll buy a new controller. My one seems to be missing too many things and is a bit of a nightmare. Neal has suggested one which I think will solve my problems and give me slightly more power? I’m thinking of going with a left half twist throttle...

Footpath

Sep 26, 2018
Australia
...hey, I’ve just looked at the new Controller I’m thinking about buying and it has a “speed sensor wire” red, black and white. My bike doesn’t have those wires. Does that mean I don’t have a speed sensor? My current display is a basic LED with no speed display. Is that what a speed sensor does? Do I need to buy a Speed sensor too?
Thanks

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
...hey, I’ve just looked at the new Controller I’m thinking about buying and it has a “speed sensor wire” red, black and white. My bike doesn’t have those wires. Does that mean I don’t have a speed sensor? My current display is a basic LED with no speed display. Is that what a speed sensor does? Do I need to buy a Speed sensor too?
Thanks
Looks like your motor has a built in speed sensor, it's the white wire on hall sensor plug, so no need for an external one. The reason you have no brake cut offs is they are not really necessary with PAS only. Good idea to fit them with a throttle. The new KT controller has the connections (red and blue wires). You will need to find a cable to go from the red julet connector on the lever to the controller. Woosh may be able to help with these.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You don't need a speed sensor as your motor white hall connector utilises the white wire on the motor side of the cable, it has internal hall sensing for speed.

Also do your julet 2 pin red connectors (brake sensor) connect to any thing or are they redundant ?