Help I want to convert

Steviebexplosif

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 6, 2022
Hi everyone, I'm an ex pro cyclist waiting for an op...... I haven't been off a bike this long in 45 years. It's destroying me, I've even bought a little e scooter. But nothing feels like a bike between your legs. I want to convert one ofy old bikes but, it's a carbon fiber fram and fork specialized s works...... Can It be done I'd like to use a 250 pr 350 hub motor front or rear..... But not being able to pas at the moment I want to run it on a throttle ( I'm willing to risk the legalities) ideally I'd like a bottle battery. Please please all help advice appreciated I'm going insane. I'm UK midlands if any neare thanks everyone..... Stevie

Attachments

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
A carbon frame would not be my choice due to mounting of battery problems drilling the frame :eek: also a wider rear hub in delicate drop outs, the axle dia is larger than a quick release and often requires use of a file.
All this without even thinking about stressing the carbon in a non intended direction have you got another choice

Steviebexplosif

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 6, 2022
Buy something cheaper ......... Done maybe. Although I'd love to use the lightweight ex pro machine in the pic. Some did say similar to yourself.... My carbon frame does have ally dropouts rear... But not front. Desperate to get hold of something know. I've tried a quick little e scooter but I wanna be back on a bike.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Carbon no though it has been done, generally they throw up too many issues as aconversion. d8veh 6 years ago did a high spec mtb conversion with a bafang mid drive. It wasn't a bike I would call pretty or one I would like to own.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Aluminum Coupled to Carbon Composite
Aluminum alloys are extremely vulnerable when they are coupled to a carbon composite. According to the anodic and cathodic polarization curves of aluminum alloys and carbon composites, it is clear that the rate of galvanic corrosion in seawater is controlled by the oxygen reduction reaction.

What this means is that any condition that leads to an increase in the rate of oxygen reduction will cause an increase in the rate of galvanic corrosion. During the galvanic corrosion, a white, jelly corrosion product will be formed on the surface of the aluminum.

and that is why all carbon bikes frames will just die they flex and over time it will snap in half even if it is aero space grade stuff it will still fail even a 20k tour de France bike frame will be dead after that distance with a 30k bike build

sell it it is no good for what you want to do with it ;)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Carbon no though it has been done, generally they throw up too many issues as aconversion. d8veh 6 years ago did a high spec mtb conversion with a bafang mid drive. It wasn't a bike I would call pretty or one I would like to own.
that was still a lovely job that Dave has done and probably the best solution too.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I don't disagree it was a nice build.
It's been along time since dave last posted some 9 months, we know he had afew health issues and was moving house. I hope he is well and ok, I did pm him some time ago but received no response.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
You obviously know your bikes, so why not look through the local rags and online to se if you can spot a nice alloy bike that would fit the bill? Local charity shops like "Hope to Cycle" will have a large selection you can check out for suitability. If you spot something you fancy, come back on here and the more knowledgeable on here can guide you as to it's suitability for conversion.

You don't say if you have a preference for a front, rear or mid-drive motor.

I got a 1986 vintage Specialized Crossroads from a charity cycle shop for my conversion it's just perfect.

• Agree