Help in identifying Electric Bike !

DMZ007

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 26, 2017
UK
Hi I got a bike second hand and the guy said it was road legal but I can't find any information on the bike that says its motor, weight and how fast it goes

Can anyone help me find information about it? As I'm scared to go out and ride it incase it isn't road legal ! Will I get in trouble? It's to help me with mobility problems..

The guy said it was E-rider but can't find the model anywhere??

How do I get it tested to see if it's road legal without a license?? image.jpeg

Attachments

DMZ007

Aug 26, 2017
UK

Attachments

DMZ007

Aug 26, 2017
UK
Yes I think the "V" sign marking on the front of the bike is E-Rider marking, I don't know.

But the computer doesn't even show the MPH the bike goes. I think I need to get it tested before riding? would the local bike shop do it?

Steve Kent

Sep 8, 2016
Paisley
Not sure, maybe an electric wheelchair dealer or good auto electrician might be able to look at it if you can't find a willing e-bike dealer close by. I don't know much about these scooters.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

VictoryV

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2012
near Biggleswade
Yes I think the "V" sign marking on the front of the bike is E-Rider marking, I don't know.

But the computer doesn't even show the MPH the bike goes. I think I need to get it tested before riding? would the local bike shop do it?
My Puch Maxi moped from 1982 does not have a speedo from new, and that was legally registered - I assume it can never exceed 30 mph

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A number of these scooter style e-bikes of different makes were imported and sold as legal 250 watt machines. Since they do have working pedals the police have accepted that they are legal e-bikes on the rare occasions of anyone being stopped to check.

In reality their rear hub motors are usually well over 250 watts rating, but with no means of checking that, no-one bothers.

Current pedelecs cannot have the motor running without the pedals being turned as well, but since these were all pre January 2016 their independent throttles are legal.

Member Synthman owned one, a Ninja model, and the only time the police wanted to look it was out of interest. Member Kinninvie has an e-fun model as well, which you can see on this link. You'll see at the foot of his post that he lists it as 250 watts, the makers stated power.

DMZ007

Aug 26, 2017
UK
A number of these scooter style e-bikes of different makes were imported and sold as legal 250 watt machines. Since they do have working pedals the police have accepted that they are legal e-bikes on the rare occasions of anyone being stopped to check.

In reality their rear hub motors are usually well over 250 watts rating, but with no means of checking that, no-one bothers.

Current pedelecs cannot have the motor running without the pedals being turned as well, but since these were all pre January 2016 their independent throttles are legal.

Member Synthman owned one, a Ninja model, and the only time the police wanted to look it was out of interest. Member Kinninvie has an e-fun model as well, which you can see on this link. You'll see at the foot of his post that he lists it as 250 watts, the makers stated power.
Thanks

But doesn't it need a sticker on to show the weight and output? Where can I buy one of those??

Police probably have more important things to do.. But just worried this doesn't go too fast as then there's a problem

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks

But doesn't it need a sticker on to show the weight and output? Where can I buy one of those??

Police probably have more important things to do.. But just worried this doesn't go too fast as then there's a problem
Almost no e-bikes have ever had the legal plating mentioned in the EAPC regulations, it's probably the most widely ignored law of all, so don't worry on that point. In any case the details required on the plate have changed, so even the odd ones that were plated are now incorrect.

And as for speed, you'll probably wish it could go faster! They can usually just about get up to 20 mph in favourable circumstances, but that isn't fast enough to attract attention since loads of bikes are ridden at that speed or faster.

Your motor is the very large diameter rear wheel hub, cable leading into it.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

DMZ007

Aug 26, 2017
UK
Almost no e-bikes have ever had the legal plating mentioned in the EAPC regulations, it's probably the most widely ignored law of all, so don't worry on that point. In any case the details required on the plate have changed, so even the odd ones that were plated are now incorrect.

And as for speed, you'll probably wish it could go faster! They can usually just about get up to 20 mph in favourable circumstances, but that isn't fast enough to attract attention since loads of bikes are ridden at that speed or faster.

Your motor is the very large diameter rear wheel hub, cable leading into it.
Thanks. If I get in trouble with the police could I explain the circumstances would they be understanding? I really wanna take it out for a spin this bank holiday weekend it's sunny ! Lovely riding weather..

Is it the box underneath the handlebars that has a lock? I can't get into it but there's two leads disconnected from inside the front of the bike that the guy said was for the lock?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks. If I get in trouble with the police could I explain the circumstances would they be understanding?
You shouldn't get into trouble for riding it. Occasionally the police have mistaken these as being proper mopeds being ridden unregistered. If then stopped, just politely point out the pedals and say it's a 250 watt e-bike that's treated as a bicycle, they know about those and will understand.

I don't know about those leads. If it's running with them disconnected from each other it doesn't seem like they are part of a lock circuit.

Last edited: