Help needed to choose a new ebike please

Kevinkayak

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 9, 2009
Belfast
Greetings to you all and many many thanks for loading so much information on ebikes onto the pedelec forum. I need help.
My employer has signed up to the bike to work scheme and I see this now as an opportunity to upgrade to a bike which will take me into retirement (in maybe 10 years). My (manual) Dawes Ultra roadbike is about 10 years old and I cycle about 800 miles per year. I live south of Belfast in among the famous Drumlins of County Down in Northern Ireland and whilst these are great for aerobic training, as I get older, I am having difficulty managing this type of terrain. I have cycled all my life and would like to continue.
My daily commute is an option of :-
In (least preferred) 1. Totally easy level or downhill mainroad, 4 miles out.
In (best preferred) 2 Up and over a few drumlins on country roads then BIG downhill 5.3 miles out
Back (least preferred) 1. main road drag up busy cycle track on footway 4 miles return
Back (best preferred) 2. Country road over the drumlins beginning with a 10 minute climb up the BIG hill 5.3 miles return.
On nice summer evenings (when I was fit) I would take a detour route home over country roads 21 miles (1.5 hours) and really enjoyed being out in the country. Now I can't manage that and I miss those times....
Anyway all this is why I need an electric bike. This 10 minute hill climb on my way home raises my heartrate to about 180 - 185 and my speed is reduced to 5 - 6 mph. I have no real desire to go faster, just to make it easier.
So I reckon I need a ebike which is good at hills. Now then..
The bike to work scheme will only fund a bike with a TICKET price of less than £1000. The roose of "separate battery" purchased separately my me (if I could arrange this) would suit me fine but there is great opposition to this at present. Also there is a price limit on the bike. £1400 is way too much. I'm sure its worth it but I can't afford that. I hope you have the patience to read on.
Which brings me to a choice of just a few bikes. I need one with a "gutsy" amount of power so I rule of anything which involves a battery which looks like a bottle. I intend to recharge this at most every other day (or even longer) so that I can get as long a time with the battery as I can before having to buy a new one. My thinking is a big battery will take more rides to drain than a small one, therefore big batteries will last ME longer.
Unfortunately I have to declare that I feel as if I live on the moon. Northern Ireland may as well be Afganistan when it comes to trying out electric bikes. We are so far behind you good people in England that it makes me feel I live in a poor country. So I am having real difficulty trying ANY type of ebike which is not a monster. Methinks SPARTAs are monsters. Anything which uses a "sit up and beg" style is the enemy because I can't deliver any power into them. I want a bike that I have a fighting chance of actually delivering an amount of power into EFFICIENTLY. This cunning plan will increase my range, presuming the bike will "carry its own (extra) weight". So what have we got? (forgetting about how the bike will actuually be purchased). I'm 11 stone 7lbs and 5' 7inches.
Bikes to consider:-
1. The Urban mover UM44S Urban Sprite, full mudguards, recently won some hillclimbing race (sounds like a gutsy motor) but really bad customer care reports on pedelec around 2 years ago. Even though I don't know much about ebikes, 250 watts sounds better than 200 watts at my stage of life. 21.5kg, 37v lithium ion 9ah battery 333 watt hours; 1000 cycles. I would intend to get this off Halfords in Belfast £1149 ticket price. Good that it has rear carrying frame for my single pannier (crucial). Has front suspension which I think would be useful and comfortable.

2. Powacycle Salisbury LPX Hybrid MTB style. Only £599 but described to me as an entry level quality. Only a 200watt motor. Only 273 watt hours. Does anyone in Northern Ireland actually stock this bike so I could try it?

3. Wisper works 905 eco MTB style only has half mudguards and no rack. £1200
4. Wisper 905 se city 37v 14ah lithium polymer - lovelly bike but too dear at £1399
5. infineum extreme MTB style Li polymer 36v; 6.5ah (don't know what this means but sounds low) 234 watt hours; only 180w motor £1170.
So all the above points to my first option the UM44S Urban sprite.
There are very few reviews of this bike on the pedelec forum and I really appreciate everyones generousity in giving opinions (flecc is the man) and I promise the forum what whatever bike I choose I'll test it to its limits and review freely on our forum about how it performs.
If you have read down to here I salute you! Sorry for going on so much but this is a big financial decision and I need as much help as I can get. Post a reply so everyone can see the thought processes. Thanks Kevin

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Which brings me to a choice of just a few bikes. I need one with a "gutsy" amount of power so I rule of anything which involves a battery which looks like a bottle. I intend to recharge this at most every other day (or even longer) so that I can get as long a time with the battery as I can before having to buy a new one. My thinking is a big battery will take more rides to drain than a small one, therefore big batteries will last ME longer.
I believe it won't quite work like that for a couple of reasons:
1. The bottle battery of the Cytronex is a different chemistry to most others and I think has a longer lifespan so won't necessarily go bad before others.
2. Most others are Lithium Ion batteries and these last longer with frequent charging (top ups) rather than fewer deep discharges.

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Hi Kevinkayak,

Welcome to the forum. If you drop me an email to fcurran@powabyke.com I will send you a list I have recently compiled with various comparisons of each bike from various manufacturers taking into account price, weight, battery type, battery size and capacity, range, top speed etc. (please note the information has been taken from the respective distributor's website so is correct to the best of my knowledge.)

Kind Regards

Frank

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Hi Kevinkayak,

Check your email, I have forwarded the comparison table to you.

Regards

Frank

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think you should immediately rule out the Powacycle Salisbury Kevin, not because there's anything wrong with it but because it's just not a powerful hill climber. It's ok on moderate gradients but would make you work hard on a stiff climb.

The Urban Mover is a medium powered bike so may suit. It's true they had a very bad service period some while ago, but they did intend improvement and there's been no further reports of service failures. Therefore no news may be good news, but I can't say with any accuracy.

The Powabykes are powerful climbers and the "bottle" battery need not be a barrier to your commute since it's well within it's capacity. Since the X model is light, based on a normal Raleigh bike and the motor freewheels without drag, if you are prepared to pedal without power on the easy going flat stretches the range can be sufficient for your country leisure runs. Frank can inform you of their battery options of course.

uk_steve

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2007
Folkestone Kent
Hi i was like you looking to buy a e- bike a couple of weeks back

all i can say there is 2 companys i have spoken too

both was great on customer service

i am happy to recomend both to you

WISPER & 50 CYCLES

simply go by what is best for you

happy bike hunting i get mine at the weekend;)

tony6403

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2009
The Powabykes are powerful climbers and the "bottle" battery need not be a barrier to your commute since it's well within it's capacity. Since the X model is light, based on a normal Raleigh bike and the motor freewheels without drag, if you are prepared to pedal without power on the easy going flat stretches the range can be sufficient for your country leisure runs. Frank can inform you of their battery options of course.

Having had a Powabyke X24 for a few months I can confirm that it does climb remarkably well and I have no issues with battery performance. It freewheels as far as I can tell without any resistance. It will go without pedaling ( after a few seconds ) on the flat if you select the appropriate mode on the control box, although why anyone would want to do this I don't know .
There are however some niggles:
- on badly surfaced highways the battery has , on several occasions , been launched out of its location points on the frame; quite alarming . I intend to try to devise a way of locking it in place.
- there is considerable front brake judder from time to time. Maybe it's the headstock , or riding in the wet or perhaps frequent cleaning of the wheel is required . I don't remember such a problem with any of my non electric bikes.
- the motor on full power sounds a bit like a milk float. I presume that I will have to live with this.
- don't like the crank sensor although I know that a disabler can be bought for around £20.
- the tyres do seem to lose pressure quite quickly

Having said this , I still thoroughly enjoy riding the bike .

Marky T

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2009
Hi Kevin,

My workmate purchased the Rush Trek a few weeks ago, this set me off wanting an e-bike, so I started to look at various e-bikes. Always coming back to the Trek for comparison. The bottom line is this bike looks good, it's got a good spec' for this price range, so far my workmate's had no real problems with the bike and Simon and Darren at 720cycles seem always happy to deal with any problems/questions. Knowing all this plus the 2 year warranty I placed my order and should be picking my bike up within the next week or so.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Although i agree the rush trek may be a good buy,im not sure it would be available on the cycle to work scheme,you mention a bike to last you the next ten years or so,but you would have expect to replace the batteries every two years or so on most bikes, at a cost of around three to four hundred pounds plus at present prices.

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
on badly surfaced highways the battery has , on several occasions , been launched out of its location points on the frame; quite alarming . I intend to try to devise a way of locking it in place.
I use a velcro cable tie around one of the mounting blocks which has completely solved this niggle for me.

Patrick

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
I like these as well....But did 720 ever come back and clarify the position regards the hub motor they are now using? and why the change from BS?
720-Cycles forwarded me some photos of the hub internals (sun/planetary gears): it looked like a well-built motor and probably quite a silent one too (thick wall and nylon gears). They didn't explain why they switched away from Bafang-Suzhou though...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
720-Cycles forwarded me some photos of the hub internals (sun/planetary gears): it looked like a well-built motor and probably quite a silent one too (thick wall and nylon gears). They didn't explain why they switched away from Bafang-Suzhou though...
Probably price. Suzhou are the leading manufacturer of this type of motor with the Bafang (8fun) the most popular model, so they probably get a premium on that. There are other manufacturers copying who probably have to charge less to keep a place in the market.

Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
I don't think these photos are of private nature, and I haven't been asked to keep them secret. So here you go:

Kevinkayak

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 9, 2009
Belfast
I have decided (drum roll...) to get an Urban Mover UM44S U Sprite after Christmas. Many thanks for all your advice and I promise I will keep the forum WELL informed about the performance of this £1000 bike. I will create a new Thread and keep updating that so that everything can be easily found by anyone thinking of getting one. Regards Kevin

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I have decided (drum roll...) to get an Urban Mover UM44S U Sprite after Christmas. Many thanks for all your advice and I promise I will keep the forum WELL informed about the performance of this £1000 bike. I will create a new Thread and keep updating that so that everything can be easily found by anyone thinking of getting one. Regards Kevin
have you read this review?

Review: Urban Mover UM44S Electric bike | road.cc | The website for pedal powered people: Road cycling, commuting, leisure cycling and racing

according to review: 9 amp battery/only a 200 watt motor and no throttle.