Help Needed Urgently!!

iangrimmett

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 19, 2009
Hi.
I am an electric bike virgin and am totally confused by the huge range of models and price.
I am after an electric bike for an adult male, 6' 0", forteen and a half stone carrying a 10lb backpack, daily reurn commute of approx 24 miles on level and some gradient roads.
I need a commuter bike fully equipped if poss. with lights etc and one that is of a brand that is reliable and will be about for after sales service without huge delays.
I have a budget of approx. £1300.00.
I have spent hours looking on the internet and as I know nothing about these bikes, am at a considerable disdvantage. What voltage for example.
It appears that there are many Chines bikes available, also from Taiwan which is not necessarily bad.
There are also, amongst others, Kelkhoff cycles which seem to be very popular/reliable and they seem to be of two types and price ranges. (RALEIGH also appear to do a bike that looks identical, anyone any lknowledge of that one?) If anyopne is willing to give me some sensible and reliable advice I would really appreciate it. email igbr22391@blueyonder.co.uk

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
My personal vote would go with the 57cm Diamond Frame Kalkhoff Agattu Classic (Crank Motor rather than hub), which is exactly what I went with myself. However, as everyone will tell you, you really need to take whatever bikes you're interested in out for a test ride first. There is a lot of difference between the ways that various different models of bike behave, and not every model suits every person. (for example, my Dad just can't get along with Crank Motors at all)

The Raleigh bikes are the same as the Kalkhoff ones, only with different stickers on them.

Avoid cheap chinese e-bay rubbish at all costs - It may look the same, the specs may match, but there's a world of difference in real world usage.

I got the cheap Chinese red bike on the right for free - It wasn't worth the money :) - The three Kalkhoffs... worth every penny. (and the Salisbury Windsor in the middle - also very good for a £600 bike)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'd also vote for a Wisper with the 14 Ah battery or one of the Kalkhoff range, both comfortably capable of your range requirement. Many e-bikes aren't.

It's important to try them if at all possible though, their motor systems very different in character and the choice can be a "Marmite" thing.

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain
My personal vote would go with the 57cm Diamond Frame Kalkhoff Agattu Classic (Crank Motor rather than hub), which is exactly what I went with myself. However, as everyone will tell you, you really need to take whatever bikes you're interested in out for a test ride first. There is a lot of difference between the ways that various different models of bike behave, and not every model suits every person. (for example, my Dad just can't get along with Crank Motors at all)

The Raleigh bikes are the same as the Kalkhoff ones, only with different stickers on them.

Avoid cheap chinese e-bay rubbish at all costs - It may look the same, the specs may match, but there's a world of difference in real world usage.

I got the cheap Chinese red bike on the right for free - It wasn't worth the money :) - The three Kalkhoffs... worth every penny. (and the Salisbury Windsor in the middle - also very good for a £600 bike)
May I ask why 3 Kalkhoffs.....?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
It is Wisper every time for me as well, a large battery and a throttle to give you a break now and again. Plus excellent support. Read some of the kalkoff/50cycles threads regards Tillson's rear wheel dispute....... I for one would never buy anything from them after IMO Tillson's shameful treatment