Help on choosing conversion kit please

dirk.c

Just Joined
Mar 18, 2019
Hi, I weigh about 250lbs and need to do some daily excercise. I have a stock standard 2016 GT aggresor comp as on https://www.evanscycles.com/gt-27-5-aggressor-comp-2016-mountain-bike-EV240513

The bike has 27.5 inch wheels.

I would like to use it on road, cycle track on sidewalks and maybe a bit of sand roads in between. So no rough off road riding. Not really many hills to speak of as most of the roads are fairly flat.

I would like the speed to be 20mph and range also 20 miles using PAS and possibly throttle only now and then when i get tired.

I have up to £500 pounds to spend and my preference will be front hub but if not rear hub will do. I am capable of doing all the diy things associated with building this conversion kit into the bike but will ask if i need any help.

So do i need 48v or will 36v do. Do i need 500watt due to my weight or more watt motor.

Regards in advance for any help and suggestions.

Thanks
Dirk

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Reactions: dirk.c

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Hi, I weigh about 250lbs and need to do some daily excercise. I have a stock standard 2016 GT aggresor comp as on https://www.evanscycles.com/gt-27-5-aggressor-comp-2016-mountain-bike-EV240513

The bike has 27.5 inch wheels.

I would like to use it on road, cycle track on sidewalks and maybe a bit of sand roads in between. So no rough off road riding. Not really many hills to speak of as most of the roads are fairly flat.

I would like the speed to be 20mph and range also 20 miles using PAS and possibly throttle only now and then when i get tired.

I have up to £500 pounds to spend and my preference will be front hub but if not rear hub will do. I am capable of doing all the diy things associated with building this conversion kit into the bike but will ask if i need any help.

So do i need 48v or will 36v do. Do i need 500watt due to my weight or more watt motor.

Regards in advance for any help and suggestions.

Thanks
Dirk
From experience Dirk, id say as basics,go 48volt over 36v an NOT puny 250w motors.Others will advise you better on specific hub kits,im more a mid drive user.But yes try for a motor rated 500w +.

You can always turn down the power on a more powerful system ,but never vice versa.

I dont want to knock a fellow user but obviously woosh as a trader has to advise a puny 250w 36v street legal system. 36v especially samsung 29E cells sags like hell as the battery runs down and throttle response is gutless . you want a battery with sanyo GA cells or equivalent. Two of my bikes have 36volt systems maxxed out to their best (not street legal).I would if i could do it again avoid 36v tho it cant deliver performance.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
From experience Dirk, id say as basics,go 48volt over 36v an NOT puny 250w motors.Others will advise you better on specific hub kits,im more a mid drive user.But yes try for a motor rated 500w +.
this section of the forum is for road legal kits. If you want to talk about higher powered kits, it should really be posted here:
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums/speed-pedelecs-general-discussion.43/

To ride at 15mph on a flat road, you only need 200W without pedaling. That's why the legislation limits the power at 250W nominal. However, when climbing hills, e-bikes are allowed to use more power temporarily. The kits I sell have 17A controllers, they deliver a lot more than 200W when climbing hills, however, the speed limit of 15mph remains.

BTW, what kits have you tried until now?

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
this section of the forum is for road legal kits. If you want to talk about higher powered kits, it should really be posted here:
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums/speed-pedelecs-general-discussion.43/
This is the section everyone discusses kits/problems legal or not. The OP posted here asking for opinions on whether to buy a non legal kit,as hes heavy and wary a legal one might be lacking. Im merely giving him an answer gained from experience. I was not trying to critisize your good value kit, just pointing out to him ALL kits of this type will probably not provide the power he seems to want.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
This is the section everyone discusses kits/problems legal or not. The OP posted here asking for opinions on whether to buy a non legal kit,as hes heavy and wary a legal one might be lacking. Im merely giving him an answer gained from experience. I was not trying to critisize your good value kit, just pointing out to him ALL kits of this type will probably not provide the power he seems to want.
he's limited to a £500 budget. A powerful kit needs a powerful battery, even a BBS01B CD kit would go over his £500 and force him to buy a Chinese celled battery to save money.
The XF08C is a good motor. The controller can pump 36V x 17A, enough acceleration for 17st rider to ride comfortably.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
he's limited to a £500 budget. A powerful kit needs a powerful battery, even a BBS01B CD kit would go over his £500 and force him to buy a Chinese celled battery to save money.
The XF08C is a good motor. The controller can pump 36V x 17A, enough acceleration for 17st rider to ride comfortably.
Now hes got some opinions to start him off on a bit more research.Maybe some others will give him some more.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
What did you go with in the end? I'm looking at what's best for a 2016 gt aggressor also.
There are many options with that bike. OP was pretty heavy, which limited the choice. you need to tell us everything about yourself and what sort of rides you want to do if you want appropriate advice.

Surf_Wonder

Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2020
My 500w 48v - entire kit including my (2x) 48v 14ah batteries and battery bag cost approx £350.00, but that's because I already had tools and such for filing the dropout etc. I would advise you having a gander at
and
part 1 and part 2.

If you don't have the tools or are comfortable with the workarounds I'd advise doing some research I started here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRMrqzsrPIWvY3PINkLKs-Q as a newby, sand normally = fat tyres or snow mountain bikes ;)

Last edited: