Help! Help with bbshd 1000w

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
Hi my bbshd came today and my bottom bracket is just a tiny bit tight for the bbshd to fit in but it does go in but then gets stuck on the other side so I'm thinking to maybe file down a bit of the bottom bracket tomorrow but let me know people on what I should do

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Check the BB shell for any spots of over weld, try and file any bits down being careful not to damage the shell threads.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Because that's what I was thinking to do so the kit goes it smoothly
It should fit all the way, if it goes in part way, because the bb tube is the same size all the way. Much better to find what is stopping it and put that right rather than damage the threads.

The main issue with thread damage is that the frame cannot go back to non-electric.

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
It should fit all the way, if it goes in part way, because the bb tube is the same size all the way. Much better to find what is stopping it and put that right rather than damage the threads.

The main issue with thread damage is that the frame cannot go back to non-electric.
Let's say I damage the thread will I even use the bb shell thread for the bbshd

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Let's say I damage the thread will I even use the bb shell thread for the bbshd
I don't have specific BBSHD knowledge. But looking at the parts, and the installation instructions should answer that. I think the answer is no, and fitting is by clamping using the parts own threads, but check before it's too late!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The best tool to use on the inside of the BB shell is Dremmel type tool.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
could I not just hammer the motor in since the Dremel costs a lot for me
Get the biggest coarse round file you can find and try that. A little bit of time now might avoid a lot of trouble later on.

Edit: a half round file might be even better as larger radius.

And lock that hammer away!

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
This is where it stops and doesn't go more in and becomes a bit stiff
Measure how deep it is from the bb end surface to the motor casing. Then see how far the motor will go in from the 'wrong' side. If it goes further than that then there must be something deep inside getting in the way. If it doesn't then the inside edge of the thread is the issue.

It only needs half a mm or so of a lump to be a problem, so once you find it, a file should shift it quite quickly.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
A clear photo of the BB without the motor fitted will help identify the area that needs filing away.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A hammer is certainly not the answer.
Also a pic of the other side from a top view with the motor inserted as far as it can go.

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
I'm currently waiting for amazon to drop off the the half round file also put my finger there it feels like a slightly little bump around that area which is probably why it ain't going in

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
Also my bottom bracket is 33.3mm inside shell but not sure about the middle bit

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
There is a ridge in the centre of the BB where the threads meet from each side. Remove this from around the circumference of the tube and your motor will fit without the use of a hammer.