Help with bike for commute

Sausages

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 3, 2018
I’m looking into an ebike for my commute, approximately 6-8 miles each way depending on the route I take. Partly road, partly shared paths, some small hills.
I’ve tried a couple out of curiosity, not sure on brand of one but the other was a Specialized Vado - however this was rather expensive at nearly £3k - ideally looking at the £2k mark. My requirements are rack for panniers and ideally integrated lights, not too flashy if I am to park outside work, preference for battery on/in frame rather than rack mounted.

With regards to brands I prefer to buy something I know someone local can service, so locally I have KTM stockist, Liv (Giant) and then further afield (not convenient for servicing but ok for purchasing - hence a little reticent to purchase from) some shops dedicated to ebikes who sell a few different brands eg Haibike, Gazelle.

What should I be looking for out of the brands available to me locally?

• Offensive Language
Reactions: Trekkie

Sausages

Dec 3, 2018
That looks good - just the sort of thing I had in mind, I’ll have to see if anywhere local stocks it for test rides

Stradaman

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2018
North West
Yep i was looking at one similar as my first choice but settled on something different due to price.

For a 6-8 mile commute you cant go wrong with something like this, just get yourself a decent set of lights and you’ll be good to go.

If you cant find this particular bike to test ride, find one that has the Bosch “Active Line Plus” motor so you’ll at least get an idea of how the motor feels

Your local bike shop should have no problem servicing it, the motor comes from Bosch and all the parts are Shimano

Last edited:

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
For commuting about 8 miles of some road and not many hills I think you can't go wrong with a rear hub motor, less wear on the drive system than a mid motor and more relaxing to ride regarding gear changing. Something like the Woosh Rio, or oxygen S-cross CB , even if they are not local to you they are highly rated on the forum for their aftersales.

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
I have the Raleigh Motus Grand Tour which seems to have all you require at £2,150. It's really comfortable and equipped with the Activeline Plus motor. On tour mode I get about 70 miles per charge and on my trip computer I am averaging 14.6 mph, not a bad average speed for someone who is not Superman! I've had my bike for 600 miles now, no faults to report.

Sausages

Dec 3, 2018

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Power delivery is different between factory middrives eg Bosch,Shimano and hub drive motors. Its personal taste thing, try both and see which is right for you.

If factory middrive is your preference, the Cube at £1600 is excellent value especially with 500whr battery.

Being 9spd maintenance costs are low, expect 2500km from £9 chain and 5-8000km from £13 cassette. You can always upgrade to Nexus or Alfine 8spd hub by swapping rear wheel and shifter in future. Great for commutes that have lot of stop/starts.

Sausages

Dec 3, 2018
Looking at the gazelle cityzen 8 on the electric bike shop website - looks a good deal with hub gears too (as part of journey is stop start with road crossings) - but should I be looking to upgrade to the 500w battery?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Looking at the gazelle cityzen 8 on the electric bike shop website - looks a good deal with hub gears too (as part of journey is stop start with road crossings) - but should I be looking to upgrade to the 500w battery?
Probably at some time in the future you will discover that you would like a bigger battery when you start going further afield.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Has older Generstion2 activeline motor with small chainring. Look for bike with newer Activeline Plus, quieter, smoother and more powerful. See Ragleigh, Gepida, Cube.

Sausages

Dec 3, 2018
Has older Generstion2 activeline motor with small chainring. Look for bike with newer Activeline Plus, quieter, smoother and more powerful. See Ragleigh, Gepida, Cube.
Thanks - so many things to consider! Hoping to get to a shop at the weekend

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Power delivery is different between factory middrives eg Bosch,Shimano and hub drive motors. Its personal taste thing, try both and see which is right for you.

If factory middrive is your preference, the Cube at £1600 is excellent value especially with 500whr battery.

Being 9spd maintenance costs are low, expect 2500km from £9 chain and 5-8000km from £13 cassette. You can always upgrade to Nexus or Alfine 8spd hub by swapping rear wheel and shifter in future. Great for commutes that have lot of stop/starts.
Yep - I just got a Cube Hybrid Tourer 500 for £1570 - German built and comes with the Bosch Activeline Plus 3rd gen motor (zero resist when off or over 15mph) and integrated lights, rack and mudguards.

And capable of up to 200km at 40% assist if you want to take it out for the day for fun...unless you are very heavy and have to go up stupidly steep hills it should cover all bases...

The 400W/h battery version is a couple of hundred quid cheaper as well at the cost of losing a little under 20% max range - on a hilly and windy road commute that gives you a range of about 42km even using full turbo mode..so even that is overkill for the commute alone.

Last edited:

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I have the Raleigh Motus Grand Tour which seems to have all you require at £2,150. It's really comfortable and equipped with the Activeline Plus motor. On tour mode I get about 70 miles per charge and on my trip computer I am averaging 14.6 mph, not a bad average speed for someone who is not Superman! I've had my bike for 600 miles now, no faults to report.
I have the basic Motus, but in hindsight, wish I had bought at least the TOUR if only for the extra gear. The lack of built in lights is hardly a problem as I wouldn't like to power them from the bikes battery anyway and I like to remove all accessories when not in use. The Motus Tour would be ideal for the purpose. It gets my vote!

Sausages

Dec 3, 2018
I have tried a Raleigh but was not keen on the upright position - not sure on the exact model but I think one of the Motus ones. I have also tried the cube hybrid touring one which I preferred the ride position of. I’m still considering options, ideally I would like to try something from my local shop.

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I found I had to change those 'comfort' handlebars as they were anything but comfortable and a change to straight handlebars and a fiddle with the seat position made it feel a different bike. I have the crossbar model and the riding position is now very similar to my MTB. In fact with some wider and nobbly tyres it would make a very decent off roader. I do nature trails now and though the 700cx40 tyres manage to cope wider hybrid tyres would be far more suitable.

Dec 11, 2018
United States
Too many cycling commuters start off with great intentions, but after a month of riding to and from work daily become disenchanted as they find they become more and more tired and have had a few soakings. The bike then disappears in to the shed only to appear on eBay one year later.

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I have tried a Raleigh but was not keen on the upright position - not sure on the exact model but I think one of the Motus ones. I have also tried the cube hybrid touring one which I preferred the ride position of. I’m still considering options, ideally I would like to try something from my local shop.
The Cube Touring Hybrid One 400 Iridium version (slightly higher spec than base One - including suspension seatpost and Intuvia display) is going for just over £1400 at the moment.

e.g. Cube Touring Hybrid 400 Iridium

I have the 500 version but can confirm that the range on them is insane so the 500W battery isn't as critical as on other bikes.

Over the past couple of days I have done 100 km of mixed cycle track, river banks, muddy trails, and quiet roads - going up a couple of thousand feet into the Peak district at one point - and still came home yesterday with more than 40% left of my 500 Whr battery.

And I'm not particuarly young, fit or lightweight.

Dave Y Fenni

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2017
Y Fenni
Do you want big wheels or not! I have a Volt Metro LS, with a XL battery. Its a folder and is classed as a commute. I have health issues and the Metro LS, works for me!

Related Articles

Advertisers