Help with converting DiBlasi R34 trycycle to throttle power

Reg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 13, 2010
Hi, my wife has a DiBlasi R34 electric tryke which is powered by a simple on/off switch ie switch on, start to pedal, and the max power is transferred to the drive motor. It is not possible to have a throttle retro fitted ( it has to be ordered and factory fitted from new ). I could buy a throttle from the retailer and fit myself, but this would also mean changing the gear shift to a thumb gear change, and it is not possible to get any wiring info from DiBlasi.
Has anyone any experience of doing this and how I would do it ? I have seen a throttle on www.eclipsebikes.com for £20 that clips to the handle bars, again has anyone knowledge on how these work and how to wire, could I wire it into the existing wiring to provide a rheostat variable current to the motor ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

D

Deleted member 4366

It might not be a case of just getting a throttle. The control has to have the right connector and the capability to respond to it. That's if it has a controller. You need to establish whether it's a brushed or brushless motor. Brushed ones have two wires and brushless have three, eight or nine. thenyou have to see of it has a controller somewhere, and what connectors it has. If you follow the motor wires, they'll go direct to the controller.

Reg

Feb 13, 2010
It might not be a case of just getting a throttle. The control has to have the right connector and the capability to respond to it. That's if it has a controller. You need to establish whether it's a brushed or brushless motor. Brushed ones have two wires and brushless have three, eight or nine. thenyou have to see of it has a controller somewhere, and what connectors it has. If you follow the motor wires, they'll go direct to the controller.
Hi d8veh, many thanks for coming back so quickly, I have traced the wiring back on the trike and looks like the controller function is in some way inside the motor ( there is no other box ) as all the wiring goes into the motor, I have just found a plug connector ( looks like 8 or 9 pin ) that is pre-wired and also goes into the motor, so I think my best bet will be to buy a twist throttle from Di Blasi ( approx.£140 ) which hopefully will plug straight into the connector that is already there, it may also mean then fitting a separate thumb gear change as the existing one is a twist gear change were the throttle will go. Fingers crossed, thanks again, regards, Reg

D

Deleted member 4366

£140 is ridiculous. I can't understanding your explanation of the motor. Start at the motor and follow the wire until it comes to a connector. Please describe the connector. How many wires or pins does it have?

Reg

Feb 13, 2010
£140 is ridiculous. I can't understanding your explanation of the motor. Start at the motor and follow the wire until it comes to a connector. Please describe the connector. How many wires or pins does it have?
Hi, I have been in contact with Di Blasi via email the conversion kit includes a new twist gear change which is fitted to the left hand side and a throttle which is fitted to the right hand side which has 3 options pedal only/ pedal and throttle/throttle only plus, the price included VAT and P&P, I will let you know how many cables there are to the connector when I can get back to the trike. Thanks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know if this photo will help Dave, it looks a bit like the base Cyclone motor. There's only two main electrical parts, the motor, presumably with integral controller, and the quick-detach battery. The QD battery detachment video is shown on this link

I've never seen one of these in the flesh.

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks. I'm pretty sure it is a Cyclone kit, but they make have both brushed and brushless motors. None have an integral controller, but there might be something in the battery box. Without clear photos, it's difficult to say.

I found two pictures of a Di Blasi thottles. One is a computer image that looks suspiciously like the £15 Cyclone one. The other is a normal twist throttle. Both cost 59 Euros!

https://www.diblasi.it/ecommerce/Catalogo.asp?Cod=4037&Prc=@-Prodotti@-.Tricycles@R34_V1&Lng=en

http://www.foldingmotorbike.com/products/Grip-%2d-Twist-Throttle-%2d-R70-%2d-Part-#7056.html

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The basic kits have the controller in the motor, and I think that motor is what the Di Blasi has. If you have a look at this webpage showing the complete kit contents for 200 to 500 watts on the left, no controller is shown and it says below that the cntrolelr :) is built in.

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

If it was mine, I would check the possibility of fitting a BBS-01 kit, but having looked the video of how it folds that may not be an option and of course would cost a lot more than a throttle

Not being able to regulate the speed on a machine like this sounds crazy, there has to a way regulate the speed.

Where are you located Reg? How long have you owned the trike and who sold it to you?

D

Deleted member 4366

The basic kits have the controller in the motor, and I think that motor is what the Di Blasi has. If you have a look at this webpage showing the complete kit contents for 200 to 500 watts on the left, no controller is shown and it says below that the cntrolelr :) is built in.
That's right. I remember now. They have circular controllers. Old age brain fade! So it's probably a Cyclone kit, and you should be able to get the parts direct a lot, lot cheaper.