Help with PAS connection...

Paul Young

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
Magor, South Wales
Morning all, I've just installed a 3000w rear hub motor kit, but the PAS sensor was not included, so I sourced one thinking that it would be a simple case of plug and play, boy was I wrong. I've found the correct connector coming from the controller, easy enough, it's the only remaining connector with 3 wires, oh and the manual told me, but the problem I'm having is the wires are different colours, and the both have a male connector.

Coming from the PAS sensor from left to right, Y/ R/ B. And from the controller, from left to right, B/ W/ R.

Also, one more quick question, coming of the motor there are 2, 6 pin connectors, that I'm assuming are the hall sensors, but on the controller there is only one connection, with one connected everything works fine, but is there a reason why this is so ?

Thanks in advance guys...

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
I would first like to measure 5V between the red/black on the connector coming from the controller to make sure they weren't messing things up. Then I'd get the female connector and align red-red, black-black, and white to yellow, If you can't get a matching female connector (from an ebike shop?), you could just use any arbitrary pair of three pin connectors.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You need to confirm the B is Black on the PAS wiring, if not then Yellow is the ground.
Double halls one is spare in case of damage.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Unless you have a controller that uses current control, PAS on a 3kw bike will be useless and dangerous. Which controller do you have?

Paul Young

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
Magor, South Wales
All is working, well kind of. The pas is intermittent, making it very jerky. Any ideas guys ?

I'm not sure on the controller mate, it's the sinewave that's included in the 3000w kit. It's only a temp solution, next payday I'm ordering the sabvoton. I just needed a quick plug and play solution in one delivery to get me to work. The summer is almost here and I miss my BBSHD fat bike...

This is the kit I'm using...

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Firstly check that the gap between the magnet disc and the sensor is an even 1 mm. Secondly, check that the magnet disc isn't slipping on the shaft. lastly, there's a setting for the sensitivity of the sensor. Try turning it up, but don't do that until you've eliminated the other possibilities.

Paul Young

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
Magor, South Wales
Thank you guys, it was exactly what you said vfr400, the magnets weren't close enough to the sensor, some hot glue and a few pieces of an old credit done the job perfectly ( for testing at least )

Actually I spoke to soon, it's fine when it's up in my work stand with no jerky behaviour at all, get out onto the road, and the jerks are back ?

Last edited:

jeff St.Clair

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2018
Crete
I had a problem with jerky PAS ...on a kit I bought from theebikemotor.. PAS would cut in and out with no warning and make a smooth ride impossible, I messed about with the distance between the sensor and the disc , tried the disc one way round and the other way round still jerky... Then looking at the setting on the LCD there was an option of 8 magnet disc or 12 magnets. The disc I have is is a 8 magnet but by resetting the LCD for 12 magnets the pas works fine . It does however power up if you back peddle which is fine if you know ....I keep meaning to get a 12 magnet disc and see if it improves it even more but ...if ain't broke don't fix it ...

Reactions: TooManyBikes