Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
Its a rather meaningless story. What is the energy density per kg and per CM2? What is the expected liefespan? Projected cost per unit? Is mass production feasible? Aside from the mildly amusing cannabis references, we've heard such claims many times before.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
  • Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Even the BBC report url link for the guy's company at the time (Alta Supercaps !) now goes to a site promoting dodgy New Age Snake Oil Secret Knowledge type products that will change your like blah blah blah.
The whole thing stinks (pun partially intended)

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The article mentions as a reference for this idea, Robert Murray Smith - a you tuber who presents as a scientist and obviously has some scientific capability, but appears to be a snake oil salesman monetising his channel by selling bits of stuff to make batteries - and his bits and pieces are not cheap either. I watched a lot of his videos about making batteries and while they are pretty demos, which show power by running tiny motors for a few seconds, they are nothing like as powerful as the worst lithium ion battery you can buy for three pounds. He talks up these 'technologies', but is I think a bullsh|tter, making money out of sales of battery materials. t least three years ago he was supposed to be six weeks or six months from replacing a Renault Twizzie battery with one of his own revolutionary design, but it has never been mentioned since. Just more and more promo stuff for his kits that he sells.

Also - this device is not a cell in any conventional sense. It is a super-capacitor. The commercial super capacitors you can buy have a huge problem - they can hardly sustain any current for more than a couple of seconds.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Plenty of smoke. Their gravimetric density is typically 40wh per kg, pretty useless really. The hemp is just a clickbait.
The hemp is cooked at high temperature to get rid of all other chemicals leaving just carbon in a process similar to making coke for steel. The carbon is then used to make capacitors. The work was commendable for its aim of repurposing waste. The same team tried to use banana skin before and succeeded. However, hemp attracts more clicks than banana skin.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Conforms to my rule that over 99% of all battery advance announcements lead nowhere.

And why the most widely used large rechargeable battery in the world is still lead acid.
So it's a case of you can lead a horse to water but a battery must be lead.

- EDIT Just leaving this here as copy of message sent to delivery company, so I've a note of it.
"
From the tracking number i see the parcel was put on your van 08.58am this morning(Thursday 1/12/2022).
I've sat in all day, occasionally checking the tracking, and im looking out the window- ground floor right beside where a van would stop. NO VAN VISITED.
Approximately 17.50pm i checked the tracking to find an added note - HOUSE-CARD LEFT.
I'm sorry but no van stopped and no card was delivered. So where do we go from here now you've put the emphasis on me to arrange delivery ?. Clearly you or your driver rather, has left it too late and couldn't make the scheduled delivery.
I don't mind really, I can understand things are busy, delays do happen. But to say a card was dropped off- the implication nobody was home, when it clearly has not,is a falsehood, and completely unacceptable.
I am now forced to wait in a second day, for an unspecified amount of time.
I leave this with you and await your answer.
I would like a specific time. I have a busy schedule on a Friday, which included checking in on an elderly parent, picking up their prescription from a chemist, making them lunch etc.
Thank you for your time.
Andrew Convery..

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • :D
Reactions: flecc and jimriley

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What is the danger of this battery if it catches fire?
You start giggling and get the munchies.
Dancing plague of 1518

Batteries linked to hundreds of waste fires

The Environmental Services Association says resulting fires cost fire services and waste operators some £158m a year.

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
#20 spambot reported