Here goes another one...

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Without roping all incidents into one category of user, we can partly assume that a lot of these fires that occur are converted bikes used by the fast food merchants. They aren't bothered about personal safety with regards riding illegal mopeds , traffic laws , no lights or safety to others , so not surprised that they will have very little knowledge of the products applied to there death machines and even more how to look after, maintain or charge a battery safely.
Not forgetting these bikes are used all day or night long wizzing about come rain or shine and likely not very well maintained.
Thank goodness the plonker didn't manage to get on the train before it happened.

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
im not eating a fkn flying rat :oops:
I agree Soundwave pigeon tastes awful. Very strong game bird flavour. And of course those that fall out of the sky often have those horrible lead balls inside.

It'll taste better if you leave it to hang for a few days, probably.

https://www.tiktok.com/@platingart/video/7321827243620060449
If you hang the bird for a few days it will make taste even stronger. Yuk.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One shouldn't rope in all ebike conversions as being hazardous, it does though just appear to be in the main the DD type motors and those who may opt to charge or use non optimal process in doing so.
The fast food ebikers and there dodgy bikes are simply not regulated or checked over as operating as a business they should be imv.
Also one only has to look on ebay and see some of the very suspect bikes often offered for sale with gaffa taped batteries.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The fast food ebikers and there dodgy bikes are simply not regulated or checked over as operating as a business they should be imv.
Good luck with that Nealh.

I walked into a small business which does e-bike conversions a while back and there were five African lads in there - VERY recent arrivals, most of them depending on one who spoke reasonable English, and they were discussing getting equipped with e-bikes for delivery work. After crossing the Sahara, fighting their way through Libya and European states, and crossing the Channel in dinghies, I don't think they would be paying any attention to e-bike regulations. I had to wait for them to be sorted out in the shop and I know they wanted 750 watt motors, big batteries and they weren't fussy about cut off power at 15.6 miles an hour.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Well hopefully their bikes will be taken off the road when they get shopped or caught out by plod.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I still have this internal debate as to whether you are channelling your internal Yoda, or just quoting a sportswear manufacturer? :D

It's the Fire Brigate chanelling both, not me! And technically, both are chanelling chanelling.

im not eating a fkn flying rat :oops:

It's a boon from the gods of chaos. Eat it and gain powers!

And of course those that fall out of the sky often have those horrible lead balls inside.

It's hard to fly with heavy lead testicles.

Come the impending apocalypse, people will be eating other people ;)

As a retired butcher, that sounds like I'll be back in a job.

Sausages anyone ?

During the lockdown, I was going to sous vide the homeless. They won't be missed, plus they're diseased and weak, easy prey to capture using burgers for bait and nets - fortunately for them, I'd bought a very large quantity of doomsday prep beans, some of which I'm still eating to this day. Remove guts etc. enclose in large watertight bags and slow cook for 24 hours in large aluminium beer barrels. Add seasoning. Simples.

Without roping all incidents into one category of user, we can partly assume that a lot of these fires that occur are converted bikes used by the fast food merchants. They aren't bothered about personal safety with regards riding illegal mopeds , traffic laws , no lights or safety to others , so not surprised that they will have very little knowledge of the products applied to there death machines and even more how to look after, maintain or charge a battery safely.

Not forgetting these bikes are used all day or night long wizzing about come rain or shine and likely not very well maintained.

I guess like those reckless taxi and delivery drivers I encounter all the time, every second counts when trying to make enough money from many small fares and charges. They're probably used to hot rodding ICE rides and assume that's similarly low risk to do with ebikes. I guess they charge one cheap and inadequate badly made battery, while using another, swap, repeat all through a long shift. Perhaps they're running their cheap batteries too hot by drawing too much continuous current using high power controllers for their high powered dinner plate hub motors? Their large batteries probably never cool down, between use and charge. Those same batteries would likely be safe with 7A-15A controllers?

Out of interest... I could asemble a high temperature alarm for the battery in use, with the heat probe inside the casing...

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I wonder how many use a correct voltage to charge and whether they fast charge ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As seen in the Train St film clip with the battery exploding and firing out of the ( top rack bag ?) like a missile , how many carry them like that rattling about or as suggested possibly paralled or in series together with out adequate support or protection.
For that battery to have behaved like that something serious was amiss , we can only guess at what the user had cobbled together or how they cared for it.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I wonder how many use a correct voltage to charge and whether they fast charge ?
Some are bound to be fast charging one large capacity battery while thrashing another, then charging again when depleted while hot, repeat, over and over every day. There was that fire last year in some takeaway which burned down while the driver's battery was charging - perhaps for premises safety, takeaway and restaurant owners insist riders use two batteries which remain on the bike instead?

Last edited:

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
It's hard to fly with heavy lead testicles.
I didn’t know the pigeon was male. But leaving his bits aside I was of course referring to the lead shot that brought him to his fall from the sky. Although in these days of heightened health and safety I expect they no longer use lead but some other less polluting metal instead.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I didn’t know the pigeon was male. But leaving his bits aside I was of course referring to the lead shot that brought him to his fall from the sky. Although in these days of heightened health and safety I expect they no longer use lead but some other less polluting metal instead.
Wasn't it as bereft of balls as Hitler? @soundwave seemed to suggest it experienced a stroke caused by the solar eclipse, or something. Creosote isn't that fast acting. Pigeons don't live long enough to evolve for solar eclipses... they might assume it's the gigantic terrifying shadow of a titanic predatory hawk or dragon or somesuch, as people once did in some cultures? Who can guess at the mysterious inner workings of a pigeon's mind. Perhaps all pigeons are deeply superstitious?

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Perhaps batteries should be built inside a fireproof casing, where any explosive or burning energy is directed out in the one direction only.

Reactions: Az.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015