Here is my experience with BMS Battery

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
Hi All,

My expeirence with BMS battery, order placed on 23rd of April.

Few days on and nothing from them, after 2 weeks I chase this up and ask when do they plan to send it?

The reply comes that I have to wait because they have order order first. Well, great but at least they could send me the email or something that it will be a bit of a wait but nothing, no info at all unless you chase them up.

ok so I'm waiting and here after few weeks the email comes saying that they don't have 7 speed freewheel and if I can accept 6 speed? They also ask if I can accept the BPM motor 36V 500W when I had on order 350W. If I accept then I have to pay them extra $10 bucks. Ok I accepted it as it supposed to speed up my order. On order I had a bpm motor with low speed high torque. This week I'm getting the email saying we don't have a high torque low speed bpm so can we send you the 398RPM motor? If not then the wait is another 2 weeks.

I mean how crazy is that, I would probably do 40mph on that and never climbed any hill so I said no thank you I better wait but asked them if it is only 2 weeks more of wait and if they sure of that?

BTW you have on order a Ferrari but instead would you accept the Fiat Doblo because that one is out of stock???:confused:

Got the reply this morning that it will be another 4 weeks which in Chinese time reality will probably turn to another 8 weeks. I said no, that's enough give me my money back.

Finally got the refund today on 7th of June.

This is my story, the funny thing is that at the time of placing the order their website was showing something like 900 motors in stock. No offence I know few people on this forum actually got their orders but to me it's a typical Chinese attitude which you can find in majority of China

BMS Battery.com is a Bad choice, at least for me I will never place any order with them anymore.

all the best

Andy

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I was just about to paypal my order for a BPM kit. Andy_h, I am grateful for your post.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi you get the what you pay for low low prices low low service

But your money is safe no SCAM

Make sure you pay by paypal

When it arrives BARGAIN

Frank

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The bargain is not that great, Frank. If you take the cost of the BPM kit, the bike, the bill from Maplin for small parts - you would end up with a Eurasian bike that costs you more than the Woosh Sirocco!

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I'm going to defend BMS battery a little here. There's no many place's cheaper you can buy those kit parts. Yes there in a language barrier and they are defiently not proactive. Espcially to oversea's customers.

However they try there best and often will upgrade parts for no extra cost should you kick up a stink regarding it.
As far as a chinese company goes there pretty typical. I deal alot with factories in my line of work over there and you really need to understand your getting someone over there in a third party warehouse to send you parts that lets face it are not black and white over the counter. There so many variables.

You need to be patient. YOur money is protect with pay pal and the most amount of your money is being spent on delivery. The parts are very cheap espcially for the auality you are getting.

The fact you can get a fully working kit exc a battery for £150 inc delivery from china is amazingly good value. However you pay that price and your support is limited.

There's been plenty of posts on this website alone about expereinces so most people know what there getting into. BMSbattery is also a third party supplier for other china sites.

Its a low price for adequate parts. Don't expect superiour service like your used to in the UK where by people bend voer backwards for your custom.
If you do want that you can buy double that and you'll get your support.

Its where your prioritys really sit.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I know the money is safe, Paypal guarantees that side, not bmsbatterry.
Bmsbattery is good if the items you order are in stock like they say on their website, are what they describe on their website, and are shipped in the delay that they say on their website.
If any of these factors fails, why buy from them in the first place? your entire project will come to nothing.
Buy from Frank and John, avoid bmsbattery.

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
If any of these factors fails, why buy from them in the first place? your entire project will come to nothing.
Buy from Frank and John, avoid bmsbattery.
I know what your saying and it is the easier and quicker option but is it really worth the extra cost? A full diy it inc delivery battery and Maplins can be done for less than £450 (depending on exact parts) so you can be saving something like £300+ which you can use to put towards a good bike.

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
is there any recent experiences with BMS battery,planning to order a conversion kit of them,also any idea how much custom tax you have to pay

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
think twice before you buy from them.
Until now, my experience of bmsbattery was good. On my last order, they took a month to move the goods from the warehouse to testing then asked me to pay $40 extra. Of course I said no to that.

D

Deleted member 4366

I've now made over 30 orders with them, something like £15,000 over 4 years. I would recommend them because of their large choice of batteries, controllers and motors. If you just want a basic kit to get you going, there's plenty of UK suppliers, but, as soon as you start laying down specific requirements for your build, your order starts to get funnelled towards BMSB.

You will almost certainly have to pay duty, and the price is gradually creeping up. Expect £25 to £40 for a motor kit and up to £80 for a complete kit with battery. It's also possible that they'll ask you for an extra $20 to cover higher than expected shipping cost because their computerised system for estimating cannot deal with all the possibilities. For instance, a motor can be sent by a cheap courier on its own, but if you order it with a battery, it has o go by a more expensive one, but if you include a rim, it's too big for that supplier, so it has to go by a third one.

They've come a long way since this thread started.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
I would definitely say including a rim or spokes is a mistake because a UK wheelbuilder will do an amazing and guaranteed job for £40 including spokes,calculating the necessary length of which is itself a proper skill which my Chinese supplier got very wrong. The extra cost of the parts and shipping and duty will exceed the cost of getting the work done in the UK.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
let me put it this way: not telling the customers that some cheap rate freight options are not suitable for battery and sting them later on is akind to holding someone over a barrel. Also, when you ordered something and paid for it to be sent by airfreight, how long do you think is reasonable lead time for getting the parcel ready for the courier? 1 day? 1 week? - my last order with bmsbattery they waited one month before they asked me to pay extra for DHL.

Reactions: jonathan75

appyarry

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2015
Lyminge, Kent
I bought my BBS01 and 17Ah Panasonic battery for the trike and although I did have to pay $20 extra for the shipping and £80 import duty (which I expected anyway) I was very pleased at the speed it all worked. I received it in under a fortnight and it has performed perfectly since fitting. I have no complaints with BMS apart from they are too far away to ship small parts/orders at a reasonable cost.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I have used them 5 or 6 times over the last 3 years, and never had a problem. I've ordered batteries, complete wheels and all sort of other stuff. Never a problem.

D

Deleted member 4366

I bought my BBS01 and 17Ah Panasonic battery for the trike and although I did have to pay $20 extra for the shipping and £80 import duty (which I expected anyway) I was very pleased at the speed it all worked. I received it in under a fortnight and it has performed perfectly since fitting. I have no complaints with BMS apart from they are too far away to ship small parts/orders at a reasonable cost.
When was your last order, Trex, and what was it?

D

Deleted member 4366

I would definitely say including a rim or spokes is a mistake because a UK wheelbuilder will do an amazing and guaranteed job for £40 including spokes,calculating the necessary length of which is itself a proper skill which my Chinese supplier got very wrong. The extra cost of the parts and shipping and duty will exceed the cost of getting the work done in the UK.
The rim and spokes will cost £40 too from a UK supplier. That's cheap ones. You need to add the cost of building to it, which will bring you to somewhere around £80.

I figured that the cost works out about the same whether you buy the complete wheel from BMSB or whether you buy the rim and spokes in the UK and build it yourself. If you pay somebody to build it, it'll work out a lot more expensive.

If I hadn't been faced with all these dilemmas, I'd never have learnt how to build a wheel myself. That's always going to be the best solution.

The BMSB wheel-building is not the best. It's normal to have to tighten the spokes. If you get a rear motor wheel, it's fairly certain that you'll have to dish it to get the rim central. If you can't learn how to do that yourself, it would probably be better to get the wheel built in the UK.

One final point, I've heard many times of bike shops getting very confused about building motor wheels. I heard of them saying that it's impossible, you need 10g spokes and all sorts of stories like that, plus, there's several stories of them damaging the motor wire. Sorry for all the doom and gloom, but forewarned is forearmed.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
My bike shop builds, they say, loads of motor wheels and seem pretty expert. They did the build for £25. It was a stunning build, interlaced like a piece of knotwork, and includes re-dishing adjustment, and re-tightening when it gets loose after 100 miles (which it hasn't). They wanted £12 more for measuring, sourcing, and supplying spokes to fit. It is guaranteed work.

My rim, a DT Swiss 545D (disc brake, not rim brake) specially made for ebikes supposedly but in any case v swish and not cheap at all, was £20 including postage. So yes you're right it's more than I said, it was more like £60 all in than the £40 I mentioned but it's not £80.

I had a build from elifebike from china and it was so terrible that most of the spokes were rattling. When they sent spokes for another motor, the spokes were all the same length rather than half one length for one side and half another length.

So I think £60 for guaranteed work if it's a good shop is still a much better deal. Obviously if a shop doesn't know what they're doing then I see your point but the work is still always guaranteed as a matter of law.

It was Stanley Bridge Bicycles in Cheshunt (also Waltham Cross I think).

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
I'd also point out that a person can get used rims on Gumtree from about £1, if required...they haven't yet caught up with the eBay thing of charging new prices for old.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I've also never had any problems with BMS.

I've used them about 6 times over the past 4 years, and they've always delivered within a fortnight, and everything has worked ok.

I had a 20" front wheel once which needed to be re-dished correctly, but that was very easy, by adjusting opposite side spoke tensions by one turn and counting each one carefully.

I always get knobbled with the vat and Fedex "admin charge" to collect it, but it's still way cheaper than buying anywhere over here.

There's far more choice too, like 328rpm motors for 20" rims, I've never found them from UK suppliers, and anything slower is useless in such a small diameter.

I have an order in progress with them at the moment, about £150 worth, ordered last Thursday, and the Fedex tracking shows it already shipped, and now at "KOELN DE", which is presumably a flight hub in Germany.

I was very grateful to discover BMS from members of this forum, so much choice, good prices and good quality.

Reactions: DaveJ
D

Deleted member 4366

When they sent spokes for another motor, the spokes were all the same length rather than half one length for one side and half another length.
I always use spokes the same length in both sides regardless of the amount of dish. The difference, even for a substantial dish is only about +/- 0.5mm from a symmetrical build. Some people would struggle to hold that tolerance when building the wheel.