Hi and my first ebike 50+

breadpud

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 12, 2022
Hello,

after years of commuting to work on a bike, I'm looking at getting my first ebike under my cycle to work scheme. My budget is upto 1500.

So far I'm looking at a Wisper 705 or coming to a dealer in the scheme in May 2022 is some Ezego commuter bikes, which I like the look of more so.

I'm not too fussed about range or hub motor power. However I'm on the techy side, so I'm interested in hub motor reliability. I'm also interested in the build quality of these sub 1500 ebikes and their long term dependability and parts availability. I'm just used to riding a dependable branded bike.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Things are a bit backwards in e-bikes. Many of the branded ones are reliable in the short to medium term, but because they use proprietary electrics any repairs or battery replacement are absurdly expensive. Almost nothing can be done as a DIY job.

Bikes up to £1500 mostly use fairly generic Chinese components. Dependability is pretty much as good, and parts availability better. In particular, compatibility between parts is much better so even if you can't find a direct replacement it should be easy to find something that will work. Wisper (that you mention) and Woosh provide sensible bikes at sensible prices, and excellent after-sales service.

Reactions: breadpud

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hubs motors are bullet proof usually, some folks have issues with hall sensors failing but I have not yet suffered so for the several years of ownership. The only issue I have had are noisy sealed bearings wear but a half hours maintenance and one can easily replace them for a few ££'s.

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
l've just bought a Mirider folding ebike and it's really good, surprisingly comfortable ride and weighs only 17kg
Worth a look
Even thrashing it l can get 15-20 miles from a charge, and being U.K. based at least there's some comeback if you need spares or a repair.

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
Hello,

after years of commuting to work on a bike, I'm looking at getting my first ebike under my cycle to work scheme. My budget is upto 1500.

So far I'm looking at a Wisper 705 or coming to a dealer in the scheme in May 2022 is some Ezego commuter bikes, which I like the look of more so.

I'm not too fussed about range or hub motor power. However I'm on the techy side, so I'm interested in hub motor reliability. I'm also interested in the build quality of these sub 1500 ebikes and their long term dependability and parts availability. I'm just used to riding a dependable branded bike.
Mrs DG has a Wisper 705 and it is a great bike. Nothing seems to stop it going anywhere.

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
On your quality of ebikes concern, 'Which' tested folding ebikes last October and the Wisper 806SE scored 63%, the Raleigh Evo scored 64%. So Wisper appears on par with Raleigh. The Raleigh electrics are proprietary as sjpt pointed out thus the Wisper would be easier to repair when out of warranty.

I personally have a Raleigh Motus and I’m very happy with is so no anti Raleigh bias. I also looked at the Wisper 705 but preferred the Raleigh dealer I eventually purchased from. So I choose a dealer rather than a make of bike.

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
That Wisper 705 looks a nice bike, the larger wheels will always be a good thing.

It's not a folding bike so unless you need it to fold, it looks like a good buy.

The only thing l would say, is that if you don't need a folding bike it's close to the price of a bike with the mid mounted Bosch motor which is a much better system than a rear hub motor.

40DDE504-FE5A-4943-A038-DCD97244A345.jpeg

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I personally have a Raleigh Motus and I’m very happy with is so no anti Raleigh bias.
Just to say we too have a Raleigh Motus with which we are very happy; just slightly concerned what we will do if (when?) we do have an issue.

We bought it 2nd hand a few years ago before we realised the proprietary implications. We wanted hub gears, and that really limited our choice.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Just to say we too have a Raleigh Motus with which we are very happy; just slightly concerned what we will do if (when?) we do have an issue.

We bought it 2nd hand a few years ago before we realised the proprietary implications. We wanted hub gears, and that really limited our choice.
well if you ever get a motor problem peter can sort it if he has the parts, i will be sending in my old performance motor so keeps another bosch powerd bike from the scrap heap as just needs a bearing service and lasted me 7 years with a dongle and never had a motor problem. :p

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Personal choice over a closed system mid drive where in the long run a hub motor will be more reliable and cheaper to repair motor should it go wrong.
Closed system bike go against EU law for easy long term repair and maintenance and some how the like of bosh etc are getting away with flouting the laws.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
but we can overclock the washing machine even if it has a bosch motor :p

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One goes on the German forum often and though there is a lot of propriety mid drives on there, they also have I would say more diy posts regarding hubs and kit mis drives on there. So even the Eric's don't rate the likes of bosh that highly as the market for kits over there is massive.
Like SW a lot also don't give two hoots about speed and power.

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
Good points.

I was talking more about the actual riding of the bike, rather than how easy it is to repair.

l do take the point about repairs though. l've got both, although my mid drive is a Shimano, and there are no spares for the motor at all, so if it fails l am faced with a bill of nearly £1,000 to replace the motor.

My hub drive bike isn't as good a system, although it's okay, but it's cheap and easy to repair.

Unfortunately however, hub drive doesn't really work for mountain bikes.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not for proper serious fast mtb riding, but more then capable for all other exploring /riding though. I use a 700c Boardman Mx with a hub for all my off road adventures on the S/Downs & N/Downs, on the S/D I count on one hand the bikes I see using the more obscure trail routes I use. Most riders I see up there tend to stick to the main SDW.
I visit Chattri as it is nice restful spot and a shrine for the Indian faiths killed during the great war, I see a some folks who walk there but never another ebiker.
I expect as my visits are weekdays I miss the weekenders who drive there, I cycle the 20 odd miles there and back as well as the 30 - 40 mile route I ride whilst up there.

What makes a hub is the electronic kit used with it, current used and the motor winding. No use having a high wound motor one needs a low wound one for torque.

breadpud

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 12, 2022
Things are a bit backwards in e-bikes. Many of the branded ones are reliable in the short to medium term, but because they use proprietary electrics any repairs or battery replacement are absurdly expensive. Almost nothing can be done as a DIY job.

Bikes up to £1500 mostly use fairly generic Chinese components. Dependability is pretty much as good, and parts availability better. In particular, compatibility between parts is much better so even if you can't find a direct replacement it should be easy to find something that will work. Wisper (that you mention) and Woosh provide sensible bikes at sensible prices, and excellent after-sales service.
Ah good. I'm on the right lines with my budget it seems then. I like your response. Thanks.

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
Yes l accept it's only for serious MTB riding where you are going to need the gearing/control of a mid drive motor.
For trail riding and light off road, a hub drive will provide plenty of good clean fun.