Hi folks

ChuckingFeet

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2019
Derby
I have been lurking on this very useful site for some months , so only right that I say hello .
I am a fairly fit 61 year old , currently ride a Raleigh Motus Grand Tour , and am loving it .It is my sole form of transport most of the time, occasionally hire a car/van if I need to.
It is my second E-bike , had a Bafang rear hub powered bike a couple of years ago, which was pretty good, the Motus is better all round IMHO .Have now put 1500 miles on the bike in 3 months, would have been more but the weather has not been that great recently . Cannot wait for spring :p

Reactions: Eagleowl and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Welcome to the forum, hopefully it won't be too long before some warmer and dryer weather returns.

Reactions: ChuckingFeet

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I have been lurking on this very useful site for some months , so only right that I say hello .
I am a fairly fit 61 year old , currently ride a Raleigh Motus Grand Tour , and am loving it .It is my sole form of transport most of the time, occasionally hire a car/van if I need to.
It is my second E-bike , had a Bafang rear hub powered bike a couple of years ago, which was pretty good, the Motus is better all round IMHO .Have now put 1500 miles on the bike in 3 months, would have been more but the weather has not been that great recently . Cannot wait for spring :p
In case people get the wrong impression about the best types of motors, the difference isn't so much the motor, but the control system. Some bikes with hub-motors have bad control systems and some have very good ones. The bikes can also supply different amounts of power to those motors. Some as low as 12 amps at 24v, and some as high as 22 amps at 36v. That's a 275% difference in power and torque. In other words, you can get a bike with low on/off power with noisy and jerky motion, or you can get a beautifully smooth and quiet torque monster, just by changing the control system for the same motor.

People also get confused between types of motors being linked to whether the motor is operated on the basis of motion or torque on the pedals. You can have either type of control with either type of motor.