Hi from Stuttgart

redalexx

Pedelecer
Hi,

no I'm not driving a Mercedes or a Porsche, sorry.

But I bought a Focus with Impulse2 motor in March 2015 to commute between home and work. It's not possible to go by car in Stuttgart due to daily traffic jam and since 3 years it's also not possible to go by train because of daily failures in rails or signals.

The dealer promoted the Impulse2 motor because of reliability and high torque. Meanwhile its the 4th motor change. I have an average MPM (miles per motor) of 696 (motor 1, 2 and 3) o_O.

I use it mainly for the daily commute but also for tours with the family. I have a weber connector to carry the chariot trailer with 2 kids and a foldable rear seat for the 3rd. We hate plenty of hills an in the city nearly no parking spots.

Now I realise that I have no pics of bike and landscape :(. It's either taking care of the kids (thursty, hungry, need a rest room ... you know) or taking pictures.

Alex

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
It's not possible to go by car in Stuttgart due to daily traffic jam and since 3 years it's also not possible to go by train because of daily failures in rails or signals.

The dealer promoted the Impulse2 motor because of reliability and high torque. Meanwhile its the 4th motor change. I have an average MPM (miles per motor) of 696 (motor 1, 2 and 3) o_O.
Welcome Alex! You sure it`s Germany you`re living in?! Not typical of German efficiency at all, and the 696 miles per Motor will strike a chord with many Impulse users in here...lol!!

btw, i have a nice Mercedes c220 cdi here if you`re after something more reliable ;)

• :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
since 3 years it's also not possible to go by train because of daily failures in rails or signals.
Hi Alex, welcome to the pedelecs forum. It's perversely a relief to know that your German train services can be as bad as ours. How is it that the Japanese are unfailingly capable of running a virtually perfect train service with all trains pulling in within seconds of the scheduled time? It's a miracle we can only dream of.

Perhaps we should invite them to take over the running of our trains, after all, their Panasonic and Yamaha pedelec systems have been very much more reliable than the Impulse 2 one!

I'm sorry to learn of your Impulse problems, many owners here suffering the same. Derby Cycles-Kalkhoff really need to address the problem properly by replacing them with the latest Evo unit, writing off the costs to experience. Carrying on as they are will threaten to destroy their company eventually.

redalexx

Pedelecer
Hi Alex, welcome to the pedelecs forum. It's perversely a relief to know that your German train services can be as bad as ours.
hey flecc,

in Stuttgart is a big construction area, they are changing the main station. The dead end station is going to be an undergroundstation with rails at both sides. That has an effect on all other running trains around and passing the main station.

I'm sorry to learn of your Impulse problems, many owners here suffering the same. Derby Cycles-Kalkhoff really need to address the problem properly by replacing them with the latest Evo unit, writing off the costs to experience. Carrying on as they are will threaten to destroy their company eventually.
Oh they made a change. In Germany they replace bad units when in warranty and give additional two years warranty. That is the german post:

http://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/neuer-service-für-impulse-i-und-ii-motore.42226/
http://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/neuer-service-f%C3%BCr-impulse-i-und-ii-motore.42226/
Possibly they changed design and software to fix the problem. The motor supplier is DAUM in Fürth near Nürnberg. This company has a problem now.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
in Stuttgart is a big construction area, they are changing the main station. The dead end station is going to be an undergroundstation with rails at both sides. That has an effect on all other running trains around and passing the main station.
We've had the same, many large construction projects including rebuilding both main line and underground stations. A further complication has been the construction of a crossrail main line crossing London East to West underground.

Oh they made a change. In Germany they replace bad units when in warranty and give additional two years warranty. That is the german post:

http://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/neuer-service-für-impulse-i-und-ii-motore.42226/
Possibly they changed design and software to fix the problem. The motor supplier is DAUM in Fürth near Nürnberg. This company has a problem now.
Yes, I knew it was a Daum unit. Our agents have not been not renewing the warranty period on changed Impulse 2 motors though, they've just been applying the remaining original warranty. Hopefully they'll change that shortly.

• Informative