Hi From the channel islands.

Ach

Just Joined
Nov 15, 2013
sark
www.avenuecyclessark.co.uk
As a newbee on your forum I will apologise 1st incase I don't follow protocol or break any rules.
My name is Steve and I work within the cycle trade (200 hire cycles and sales and repair )
on the isle of Sark in the channel islands, yes thats the one with no cars, a few horse drawn carriages and 90 ish tractors, so the cycle rules.
The island is a rock approx 352ft high x 3miles x 1-1/2 miles, a few hills and no tarmac roads, ( just dirt tracks or muddy tracks when wet ).
Now you would think on an island where the cycle rules it would be king but here comes the surprise, electic bikes are regulated by a lot more legislation than you would think.

You can only use an electric cycle if : you can prove you need it on medical grounds and the road traffic commitee has issued you with a licence to use one, you also need insurance and they are trying to enforce a yearly medical ( no nhs here, you have to pay ).
Furthermore an ordinary cycle warrents £11 per year road tax but an electric bike is £15.

Why you may ask is this on an island where the cycle rules, and could be used for peoples jobs, well this is where I am hoping this forum, with it's knowledgeable members
may be able to supply me with some suggestions and debate to argue this seeminglyridiculous situation in our parliament ( chief pleas ).
We left fudialism in 2008 for democracy !!!.
many thanks for any helpful discussion.

D

Deleted member 4366

Welcome to the forum. I hope somebody can help you. My heart bleeds for you, but after a long think, I decided that if I was in your government, dictatorship or whatever it is, I would make the same rules except I wouldn't charge for a licence because it would cost more to administer than what you'd get in revenue.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Inevitably, ebikes are going to be seen as the thin end of the personal motorised transport wedge, so I can see why parliament imposes strict legislation.

filsgreen

Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2013
Litherland, Merseyside
Welcome from a fellow newbie Ach :) I used to live in Jersey, but never made it to Sark, Guernsey was the furthest I got. Riding a bike in Jersey is a dangerous pastime, car drivers rule the roost, especially the Chelsea tractors and Maserati's. It's so important to own a car that has a top speed of 185 mph on an island that is forty five square miles in size. Still I suppose all those financiers have to spend their money on something. Did you meet all the requirements for an electric bike?

Ach

Just Joined
Nov 15, 2013
sark
I can't have one filsgreen I'am not near enough to my grave. too much legislation here and too many tractors carrying just 1 box or a pot of paint to a job when a bike and trailer would suffice.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
^^ I bet if you got a Vivax with a saddlebag battery no-one would ever know. It's not as if you need a huge range after all ;) Having to get the blooming thing serviced every year is a bit of a logistical impediment though !

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
How would you stand with an electric trailer?:rolleyes:
Connected to the manual bike.

Ach

Just Joined
Nov 15, 2013
sark
Cheers for all the replies and suggestions, am looking into the trailer idea.
It has occured to me that it's never been tested by law, if by riding an electric bike unlicensed would it stand up in court.
Guernsey law officers o.k our laws and they have unregulated electric bikes there, might scream human rights then pedal of until my battery goes flat.:D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As far as I know Guernsey still follows the 1983 UK EAPC regulations for e-bikes, meaning only 200 watts allowed, ruling out most of the current models. One islander reported that there had been a successful prosecution of a 250 watt user, but that was some while ago so the situation may have changed.

The only argument I can suggest for changing the Sark regulations is the EU's one, that a 250 watt pedelec being powered only through the pedalling force integrating some help from the motor means it is only a pedal cycle and not a motor vehicle.

In essence such pedelecs when using torque sensors are bionic, boosting the leg muscle input rather than simply directly and independently driving the bicycle the way that a motor vehicle works.