Hi! Looking for Fiido D21 alternative

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
So it got stolen... :( Waiting for the insurance to pay and will get a new bike. Is there anything else on the market now I should consider instead of the D21?
I think you'd be hard-pressed to find ANY folding e-bike with a true torque sensor for (currently) £908. Even my D11 is now £74 cheaper at £726 than I paid a few years ago. Both are better, more refined bikes as both have had several improvements since they were first offered (smooth frame welds throughout, revised displays, new controllers with bluetooth connectivity and they claim uprated torque - now 45nm against the original 35nm)... and now at lower prices.

Unless you choose to spend quite a bit more, I think both are still difficult to beat in terms of sheer value.

ovatsus

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2023
Sorry to hear your Fiido got stolen. I'm compelled to ask for details: Which lock(s) did you use, where did you leave your bike and for how long, did they get the battery seatpost too, which insurer are you with, how much did the insurance cost, will they pay out, how long till they pay out?
The bike was in the bike storage room of my building, locked to the rack. I was using a Foldy Lock, which is rated Sold Secure Silver. The problem was that they actually disassembled the metal bike rack in the storage room that had a very stupid week point I haven't realized... One of the connections wasn't bolted, just a standard screw... I'm using Eversure Cycle, I insured both the Fiido and my Tern for £87.06 total. Still waiting on the payment, just submitted the claim 2 days ago

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The bike was in the bike storage room of my building, locked to the rack. I was using a Foldy Lock, which is rated Sold Secure Silver. The problem was that they actually disassembled the metal bike rack in the storage room that had a very stupid week point I haven't realized... One of the connections wasn't bolted, just a standard screw... I'm using Eversure Cycle, I insured both the Fiido and my Tern for £87.06 total. Still waiting on the payment, just submitted the claim 2 days ago
Please do post about your insurance claim result. Have they bolted it since? If not, the D21 folds... so perhaps store your next D21 (or vastly superior Dahon mid drive conversion :cool: ) in your apartment, perhaps on a ceiling hoist if there's no room for a wall bracket, ora space in a closet? If they haven't replaced that screw with a bolt, you could buy one of @Wisper Bikes new "If your bike is unrecoverable after 14 days, we will send you a new Wisper bike to the same specification" tracked bikes, gradually populating your neighbourhood with ever increasing numbers of stolen Wisper bikes, at the 15% retrieval failure rate.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/weve-bundled-ebike-security-and-i-think-we-are-the-first.46429/

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I finally got the claim paid today!
That's brilliant! Was there a component for emotional distress? How much did you get? What's your budget? Are you after another ready made bike, or would you spring for a conversion? I wonder if getting a payout for a stolen conversion would be more difficult.

ovatsus

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2023
I got £874.94, I bought it for £899, so I got almost full price (not counting the lock, pannier rack and bag, and quadlock mount)

I'm going to go for another ready made bike, so I can use the cycle to work scheme. I'm thinking of getting a lighter 16'' ebike this time so I can bring it to the flat every day

Reactions: Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I got £874.94, I bought it for £899, so I got almost full price (not counting the lock, pannier rack and bag, and quadlock mount)

I'm going to go for another ready made bike, so I can use the cycle to work scheme. I'm thinking of getting a lighter 16'' ebike this time so I can bring it to the flat every day
I don't know what the seatpost Fiido battery weighs - my 20" wheeled folder is quite easy to carry up stairs, once I remove the 4kg+ battery and carry that in my rucksack.

Last edited:

ovatsus

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2023
This time I'll be able to use the cycle to work scheme, electroheads accepts it and they have Fiido and a lot of other brands
I'm thinking of going with another option, though, since I found the Fiido D21 cumbersome to carry. I also realised that on an eBike I can get by without gears after all. I'm considering two other options in addition to the Fiido:
* Ado Air 20, the frame shape makes it easier to carry, has hydraulic brakes, and I don't need to worry about chain oil anymore
* MiRider One, even though it has the same weight as the Fiido and the Ado, it folds much smaller, so I'd be able to carry inside everywhere. It doesn't have torque sensor, though, and the 16'' wheels might feel less comfy than the 20'', will have to test ride carefully

The Flit M2 is also interesting, just 14kg, but much more expensive than the others, and they would only deliver in the summer

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This time I'll be able to use the cycle to work scheme, electroheads accepts it and they have Fiido and a lot of other brands
I'm thinking of going with another option, though, since I found the Fiido D21 cumbersome to carry. I also realised that on an eBike I can get by without gears after all. I'm considering two other options in addition to the Fiido:
* Ado Air 20, the frame shape makes it easier to carry, has hydraulic brakes, and I don't need to worry about chain oil anymore
* MiRider One, even though it has the same weight as the Fiido and the Ado, it folds much smaller, so I'd be able to carry inside everywhere. It doesn't have torque sensor, though, and the 16'' wheels might feel less comfy than the 20'', will have to test ride carefully

The Flit M2 is also interesting, just 14kg, but much more expensive than the others, and they would only deliver in the summer
Is it possible to roll a folded Fiido D21 up stairs, keeping the seapost up? Must confess I haven't tried with my Dahon Helios, and you can't try it with a D21 because yours was stolen (apologies for the potentially triggering reminder of post-theft trauma).

ovatsus

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2023
Is it possible to roll a folded Fiido D21 up stairs, keeping the seapost up? Must confess I haven't tried with my Dahon Helios, and you can't try it with a D21 because yours was stolen (apologies for the potentially triggering reminder of post-theft trauma).
The Fiido doesn't really roll on it's own when folded, you end up having to carry it, and it's not easy to carry as well

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Try this: Get a piece of rope, strap or old belt; attach a hook at each end that you can make out of a coat-hanger and bind with thread or similar. One hook goes round the stem clamp and the other to anything at the join of the seat-post to the frame. Clip the strap on and put it over your shoulder, then walk up and down the stairs with no hands as if the bike isn't there.

In case of misunderstanding, it's only optional to cut off your hands. That's if you want to show off to your neighbours.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The Fiido doesn't really roll on it's own when folded, you end up having to carry it, and it's not easy to carry as well
My Helios does, has a magnetic catch which is very effective at keeping both folded sides together while doing so - IIRC @cyclebuddy mentioned Dahon offered a 200W Tongsheng mid-drive motored 20" wheeled folding bike a few years ago, not available in the UK unfortunately.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Try this: Get a piece of rope, strap or old belt; attach a hook at each end that you can make out of a coat-hanger and bind with thread or similar. One hook goes round the stem and the other rround the seat-post. Clip the strap on and put it over your shoulder, then walk up and down the stairs with no hands as if the bike isn't there.

In case of misunderstanding, it's only optional to cut off your hands. That's if you want to show off to your neighbours.
Thanks for the ideas, will certainly have a go at both. Or pehaps I might finally have a use for the motor scavenged from that dead escooter I found discarded last year, winch up the bike with electrickery?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks for the ideas, will certainly have a go at both. Or pehaps I might finally have a use for the motor scavenged from that dead escooter I found discarded last year, winch up the bike with electrickery?
If there's a lamppost outside your house, you could have a go at this:

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If there's a lamppost outside your house, you could have a go at this:
That's got to be the ultimate anti-theft device! Legal too. Unfortunately the closest lamp post is many yards away from my house, but I could have a go at the strange beard.

Last edited:

ovatsus

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2023
I tried the MiRider One today. Ergonomics are good, didn't mind either the 16'' wheels or the single speed, it rides well. However, coming from the Fiido torque sensor to the cadence sensor on this one is a big no no. It takes too long for the motor to kick in, and on junctions that's going to be a big downgrade. Also, it folds smaller but not considerably smaller, so I'm either going to get another Fiido D21 or try the Ado Air 20.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I tried the MiRider One today. Ergonomics are good, didn't mind either the 16'' wheels or the single speed, it rides well. However, coming from the Fiido torque sensor to the cadence sensor on this one is a big no no. It takes too long for the motor to kick in, and on junctions that's going to be a big downgrade. Also, it folds smaller but not considerably smaller, so I'm either going to get another Fiido D21 or try the Ado Air 20.
Was it a real MiRider? They have KT controllers, which have a very fast response. The clones have crappy controllers with long response times. If it was a real one, maybe something wasn't set right in the LCD. Did you speak to the seller about it?

ovatsus

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2023
Yes, I believed it was a real one, this was in Fudge Cycles in Chiswick, I mentioned the delay they didn't say anything. But I was kind of expecting it since it would not be as good as a torque sensor, I had seen reports online of people mentioning that already

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Yes, I believed it was a real one, this was in Fudge Cycles in Chiswick, I mentioned the delay they didn't say anything. But I was kind of expecting it since it would not be as good as a torque sensor, I had seen reports online of people mentioning that already
Most controllers with cadence sensors do that, but it's barely noticeable with a KT controller, which is in a M iRider.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I'm either going to get another Fiido D21...
Do Fiido still make/offer the D21 in the UK? There're a few still left in Europe, but my thinking is it's been/being dropped in light of Fiido's repositioning... they've already dropped the D4s and D2s as they introduce Gravel, Carbon, and more new full-sized Fat-tyre models. The folding X model - with hydraulic brakes and torque sensor - has had its price cut significantly to fill that void where the D21 used to sit in the range. Similarly, the D11 has its price cut (and a cheaper/heavier but faster motor now fitted) to help fill the void left by discontinuing their hitherto cheaper/best-selling D4S.

Just speculation/rumour/chatter rather than verified fact... worth checking though before banking on buying another D21.

One member here had an X then had a D21 and swore the X's torque sensor was far superior to the D21; it's a branded part in the X and just a generic one in the D21 (he confirmed by taking them apart).