highest milage on an ebike?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Guim probably did 40K on his Wisper :D
Hi Alex, unfortunately Guim has fallen in love in Australia and we cant get him to budge, so he is still at about 12,000 KM!! :eek:

I think Andrew (Mussells) will have past that by a long way now. :cool:

All the best

David :)

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I am convinced it is a woman Alex!

However I am delighted to say that after long chats today, he is now on the way to Vietnam to resume the Journey.

All the best

David

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
I'm hoping to do pretty high mileage and will hopefully complete my first full week tomorrow of my 19 mile each way trip. I was wonder if any of you who have been there and done that have any tips for me?

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I'm hoping to do pretty high mileage and will hopefully complete my first full week tomorrow of my 19 mile each way trip. I was wonder if any of you who have been there and done that have any tips for me?
That's about the same as mine. Best tip is to be prepared for breakdowns, carry a decent toolkit for roadside repairs and think about how you get home in the event of an unfixable problem. Also carry enough clothing to keep you warm if you are stranded in cold rain.

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
Don't skimp on clothing. The more expensive brands are well worth it - lighter, better cut, more breathable and last a lot longer.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Don't skimp on clothing. The more expensive brands are well worth it - lighter, better cut, more breathable and last a lot longer.
The Aldi/Lidl/Decathlon stuff is quite adequate and if like me there isn't a huge budget at the start and it will easily see you through a winter (still budget for a three figure sum on clothes). Then I found that some of the cheap stuff was good and some wasn't so as items wore out I replaced them with better stuff as I knew by then what I needed, trying to do that as a novice will be expensive and you'll pay more for a few items that are no better. The stuff I find it's worth paying out a bit more on are gloves and overshoes, concentrate on being warm and expect to get wet. I very rarely wear hard shells (waterproofs) and find they are used when it's very cold, if I wear it in the rain I sweat buckets and get just as wet, GoreTex has it's limits as well and is better suited to sedate activities. Being wet doesn't bother me much at all as long as I'm not cold.
I haven't got any Decathlon kit myself but I see a lot of all weather riders with it in London, it can't be all that bad.

I'd love to find the top that keeps me warm/dry/cool as required and I'd pay quite a bit for it, I've not been convinced yet so I'm still wearing my cheap layers.

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
I put a fair amount of effort in so do not need too much in the way of layers. At the moment I am still in tee shirts and shorts, but did get a bit cold this morning to start off with due to a cold north easterly. In winter I use a Berghaus Choktoi Windstopper jacket, like this:

Berghaus - Product: Men's Choktoi Pro II WINDSTOPPER® Softshell Jacket_

This has underarm zips for ventilation and is fine for light showers. I once bought a clone of this from M&S for about half the price but it was nowhere near as breathable. My jacket has lasted well over 5 years. It is looking a bit tatty now, but still works perfectly. In heavy rain I put a put a Berghaus Paclite Goretex jacket over the top. Expensive, but very breathable and very light. Keeps out the heaviest rain but does need re-proofing occasionally. Again, this has lasted very well apart from a hole in one arm caused when I came off a few years ago (took a corner too fast in heavy rain).

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
I must be on about 20,000 miles in just over two years, it's not all that hard. :)
I did about 18,000 on the 905 before I swapped bikes.
Out of interest, how was the battery after that kind of mileage? I know time in service is a major factor as well as depth of discharge. I've only done about 4k in 18 months, and so far the battery feels as good as new, just wondering what to expect.

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
I have a pair clip less pedals from my trike but I can't make my mind up wether to put them on my flyer. Will booties fit non cycle specific shoes? My feet got completely soak on the way home tonight.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Out of interest, how was the battery after that kind of mileage? I know time in service is a major factor as well as depth of discharge. I've only done about 4k in 18 months, and so far the battery feels as good as new, just wondering what to expect.
I didn't notice any difference even when I borrowed a brand new 905 when my frame was being swapped.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I have a pair clip less pedals from my trike but I can't make my mind up wether to put them on my flyer. Will booties fit non cycle specific shoes? My feet got completely soak on the way home tonight.
Non cycling shoes may be too soft for a decent fit, I don't know as I wouldn't be without my SPDs,

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
I've got around 2000 miles on one of my tongxin hubs, but it developed a horrible noise suddenly. I've rebuilt it with some spare parts, hopefully it'll do another thousand miles or more, before something else goes wrong.
I have another tongxin thats over 1000miles. I'm expecting that one to fail soon, (it's been apart already). Great little motors when working.
Hopefully my Bafangs will last longer........
I can't get rid of my car yet, it's too much of a workhorse, but it only gets used for long journeys (usually weekends), i always use the bikes for commuting and going into town.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
One early eZee Rider model in Switzerland was recorded with 50,000 km (over 31,000 miles) and still going ok.