Highway code changes

nightrider

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
just would not feel confident cycling in middle of road, bad enough keeping as far enough to left of road, also cycling two abreast will do wonders for road rage

Reactions: RoadieRoger

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
just would not feel confident cycling in middle of road, bad enough keeping as far enough to left of road, also cycling two abreast will do wonders for road rage

get a tshirt made with ur email address on the back.

paypal me £2.50 as a gift and ill let you past :p

• :D
Reactions: Fordulike

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
As above
But instead of your own email, put 'Riding in accordance with the law' and list the chief constable for your areas email ;)
Maybe even his phone number and extension .

As to following these rules I say ride how and where you think it is safe and that includes the pavement.
But remember,if on the pavement - RIDE WITH DUE CARE AND ATTENTION. Its not a racetrack.

• Agree
Reactions: trevor brooker

nightrider

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
As above
But instead of your own email, put 'Riding in accordance with the law' and list the chief constable for your areas email ;)
Maybe even his phone number and extension .

As to following these rules I say ride how and where you think it is safe and that includes the pavement.
But remember,if on the pavement - RIDE WITH DUE CARE AND ATTENTION. Its not a racetrack.

nightrider

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
as regard cycling on pavements ebikes would be under a different category surely, being motorised, if accident big trouble, maybe i am wrong

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
  • :D
Reactions: flecc and Fordulike

Craiggor 2

Pedelecer
May 30, 2018
Does giving way to pedestrians apply at traffic light junctions. I know some have lights to control the pedestrians but a lot do not.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Does giving way to pedestrians apply at traffic light junctions. I know some have lights to control the pedestrians but a lot do not.
A good question but generally one would say no if the lights are green but if a ped is already transiting such a said junction then yes. Green is only an indication to go if safe to do so and the way is clear, most think it is an absolute right to keep going.

A couple of hundred yards from my house the carriage way enters a single lane tunnel controlled by lights, cycling through on a Green and the light's timing delay is way out. By the time I 've exited, the other end has already changed to Green and the cars have to wait. I would have to be doing 20mph to clear the lights before they change, I think there is an allowance that lights like these in case must allow a cyclist travelling at 12mph to safely pass through so the delay obviously isn't set correctly.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
as regard cycling on pavements
I also like to smirk at drivers stuck in traffic as i breeze by. Or full nonchalant expression with a smidgen of smugness

move or be destroyed :p
JESUS CHRIST!! What motor is that ?. Jumbo jets are quieter :oops:

Last edited:

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Ashley Neal(driving instructor), is covering this topic on Youtube, he is truly an advocate for safer roads and offers various sage insights to the highway code revision with logical discussions and real world examples, I have learnt a lot and I haven't even been approved for a provisional yet.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
as regard cycling on pavements ebikes would be under a different category surely, being motorised, if accident big trouble, maybe i am wrong
Not so, a legal pedelec is a bicycle in law, expressly exempt from being a motor vehicle in the two and three wheeled motor vehicle type approval law 137/2013 under the section 2/2 (h) exemption.

• Agree
Reactions: TedG and Nealh

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
A good question but generally one would say no if the lights are green but if a ped is already transiting such a said junction then yes. Green is only an indication to go if safe to do so and the way is clear, most think it is an absolute right to keep going.
I have to cross a few side roads that are traffic light controlled but have no pedestrian lights, also the lights are shielded against the sun, so making it impossible to see their colour from the side.
So, in theory, when the traffic is stationary the lights must be red & it should be safe to cross, however the drivers are looking up at the lights & not down at who is crossing in front, so several times I have had to sound my horn to avoid being run over.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
so i can ride in the middle of the road yet cant use the motorway :rolleyes:
Yes you can ride on the motorway in Britain if your e-bike is capable of being powered above 28 mph to 30 mph or more as you say it is, and you are over 24 years. It's then in law a motorcycle class moped. It falls into the L3 type approval class and the appropriate A1 sub category, like a 125cc light motorcycle ridden by any over 24 year old with a full licence.

Of course you'll still get nicked for not being registered, plated and insured etc, etc., not to mention all the aggro you'll cause at 30 mph in the slow lane !

• Agree
Reactions: trevor brooker

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Buses are at the end, but I place them ahead of cars and will continue to.
I would concur that more priority should be given to buses over cars and indeed where I live and cycle (Cardiff) there are quite a few combination bus and cycle lanes allocated.

But therein is a problem, these lanes are to give priority to buses (and cycles and taxis) but they are so narrow that the only safe way for a cyclist to use them is to cycle in the middle and block the bus. Cycle just out from the kerb and the bus behind you will try to get past, been close to dead a couple of times with that strategy.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sadly the due care and attention is the bit many drivers fail to comprehend and I can foresee accident rates that may rise, speed at and approaching junctions the main culprit reducing ability to react in a safe manner. The rules are good for vulnerable users but educating motorists will be the hard part.
A lot of motorists often say they are cyclists as well, however behind the wheel few use there cyclists brain and too easily revert to the normal road mentality of having to pass or be ahead so as not to be inconvenienced.