Highway code changes

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Would cops instinctively be drawn to a flashing blue light on a bike? I know flashing red lights are illegal at the front of a bike, but there's no mention of blue in The Highway Code, I think.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Been out for a cycle this morning and saw no car give way to waiting peds or cycles wanting to cross, I made vehicles sharply stop by simply crossing in front of them.
The new rules is that they must stop for those waiting wishing to cross, the aim is to slow traffic and make drivers more aware of their surroundings.
I shake my head at them or give them the bird now.

They don't like it when you ride a metre out either, but hey tough.
I did have one morton undertake me at a roundabout on the inside lane because I took prime at the junction to turn right.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
I might buy some blue coloured theatre lighting gel sheet and try a bright blue front flashing light, to see how long a line of emergency vehicles I can attract in my wake.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Been out for a cycle this morning and saw no car give way to waiting peds or cycles wanting to cross, I made vehicles sharply stop by simply crossing in front of them.
The new rules is that they must stop for those waiting wishing to cross, the aim is to slow traffic and make drivers more aware of their surroundings.

I did have one morton undertake me at a roundabout on the inside lane because I took prime at the junction to turn right.
I'm going to keep my new so called "1800LM" light on in scary flashing mode during the day. Maybe bright flashing blue will make them stop and think? Probably not.

Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Law /rules for the road have changed to help us and other vulnerable users, one has to take control and command our new rights to the road.
Of course I gauge the vehicle distance and speed, also now I make sure I actually stop the traffic at light controlled crossings.
If I irritate the drivers I come across I make no apologies because of their ignorance.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There are plod cycles with blue lights on, I don't know about the two's so one could try a solid blue light as well as White. It might make drivers think a bit or slow then down, also add one of those hi viz tabard's which equines use with the word POLITE notice on the back and it will work a treat. When I first saw one I mistook it for saying police as it has the chequer squares up both sides as well just like plod wear.
Only thing plod can do is say the Blue light shouldn't be used, I have seen boy racers with Blue led's in the grill and there are quite a lot of cars with the Blue tinged halogen headlamps that make you wonder.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
There are plod cycles with blue lights on, I don't know about the two's so one could try a flashing blue light. It might make drivers think a bit or slow then down, also add one of those hi viz tabard's which equines use with the word POLITE notice on the back and it will work a treat.
Only thing plod can do is say the Blue light shouldn't be used, I have seen boy racers with Blue led's in the grill and there are quite a lot of cars with the Blue tinged halogen headlamps that make you wonder.

I've got to try it! Glue or ziptie, if it falls off, it's a cheap enough mod attempt.

Sep 13, 2020
The pavement doesn’t appear to be a cycle lane, illegal incident No. 1. Turning right down the turn left lane against the flow of oncoming traffic, illegal incident No. 2. Need I go on…
No. 3. Broke a red light.

Also, cycling at speed through a pedestrianised shopping area close to a fair No of people with their backs to him, so unsighted. Any one of them could have made an unexpected move into his path. Although granted, the motor was loud enough.

Reactions: DiggyGun

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
There are plod cycles with blue lights on, I don't know about the two's so one could try a solid blue light as well as White. It might make drivers think a bit or slow then down, also add one of those hi viz tabard's which equines use with the word POLITE notice on the back and it will work a treat. When I first saw one I mistook it for saying police as it has the chequer squares up both sides as well just like plod wear.

This is a better blue. Heat-resistant sheet, because that 20W so-called "1800LM" light gets hot. If not blue enough, I could double layer. The light is bright enough to shine through. Maybe blue light will make dyslexic drivers read the road better?

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Most light bezels unscrew so one should be able to place a Blue disc with in the bezel so it retains it.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Would cops instinctively be drawn to a flashing blue light on a bike? I know flashing red lights are illegal at the front of a bike, but there's no mention of blue in The Highway Code, I think.
The reading list to work that out is quite long!

20220130_163950.jpg

LivedInLondon

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 9, 2021
Telford
Been out today for a short ride.

I already slow down when passing pedestrians on shared cycle/footpaths (I hate those anyway, bloody token things). And especially with horses as there have been some reports of really ignorant cyclists locally.

Certainly no drivers I encountered were acting on the new priorities when I was crossing junctions. I just waited so I didn't get hit by an SUV tank!

The only way it WOULD work is for changes to road surfaces IE ramps/grids etc to force cars to slow as well. As they do in the Netherlands on those occasions when cyclists do interact with drivers crossing roads etc.

My own town is putting 35 Million into repairing and upgrading roads to 'ease congestion due to more cars' *YES REALLY!*

"As part of these budget proposals we’ll be improving roads, roundabouts and junctions to reduce or avoid congestion that will be caused by more vehicles using our roads as the borough grows, as well as further improving safety on our roads and footpaths."

As far as I know more cars doesn't ease congestion!
A mere 3 mill for the poorly maintained footpaths and cycle routes, most of which are bloody awful or don't have signs enabling people to navigate!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Been out today for a short ride.

I already slow down when passing pedestrians on shared cycle/footpaths (I hate those anyway, bloody token things). And especially with horses as there have been some reports of really ignorant cyclists locally.

Certainly no drivers I encountered were acting on the new priorities when I was crossing junctions. I just waited so I didn't get hit by an SUV tank!

The only way it WOULD work is for changes to road surfaces IE ramps/grids etc to force cars to slow as well. As they do in the Netherlands on those occasions when cyclists do interact with drivers crossing roads etc.

My own town is putting 35 Million into repairing and upgrading roads to 'ease congestion due to more cars' *YES REALLY!*

"As part of these budget proposals we’ll be improving roads, roundabouts and junctions to reduce or avoid congestion that will be caused by more vehicles using our roads as the borough grows, as well as further improving safety on our roads and footpaths."

As far as I know more cars doesn't ease congestion!
A mere 3 mill for the poorly maintained footpaths and cycle routes, most of which are bloody awful or don't have signs enabling people to navigate!
I don't know what part of London you used to live in, but I still live here in the London Borough of Croydon and I think I'm very lucky in the south of my borough compared to all the negative things I've been reading about drivers since the change.

Round here I and many other drivers have long been giving way to pedestrians wanting to cross at junctions and I also experience it the other way when I walk through the estate and some drivers stop for me when I'm about to cross a side road.

And it's not just very local. Long ago If I stopped for a pedestrian anywhere other than a pedestrian crossing I could expect an angry horn blast from a driver behind, but that's no longer the case. On a regular five mile run south beyond London's boundary there's a long stretch at one point where the traffic is continuous in both directions.

From time to time I spot a pedestrian or more waiting to cross where the sole road island is so I give them a double flash to prepare them and slow down and stop. On every occasion to date another driver in the line of traffic coming from the opposite direction has seen my move and also stopped. And I'm not the only driver to initiate that, I've seen others do it in occasion.

The only reason I can think of why it is so different here is that quite a while ago my whole borough changed to a 20 mph limit on all roads except the through routes. With the traffic much slower, stopping is easier, doesn't slow drivers very much and there's longer to slow and prepare to stop when pedestrians are seen ahead.

So maybe that is the key, slowing everything down to allow more time for courtesy and planning ahead.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Lots of relevant info & links here:

The blue light regulations applying to emergency vehicles used to be just for motor vehicles. In 2005 the rules were changed to cover all vehicles, including cycles. This reflects the increased use of cycles to respond to emergency calls using blue lights and sirens particularly in the ambulance service.

Would cops be drawn to a flashing blue light? Yes, impersonating a police officer doesn't go down well.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Excepting orange/yellow in certain circumstances, coloured lights are illegal for all but the emergency services.
Thank for all the info all. Drat. So I can't even get away using purple or something! Yellow isn't jarring enough... 20W of bright white it will have to remain, rapidly flashing bright white alleged "1800LM"during the day.

Craiggor 2

Pedelecer
May 30, 2018

The trouble is the new rule H1 doesn't say YOU MUST it says you should.

LivedInLondon

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 9, 2021
Telford
I don't know what part of London you used to live in, but I still live here in the London Borough of Croydon and I think I'm very lucky in the south of my borough compared to all the negative things I've been reading about drivers since the change.

Round here I and many other drivers have long been giving way to pedestrians wanting to cross at junctions and I also experience it the other way when I walk through the estate and some drivers stop for me when I'm about to cross a side road.

And it's not just very local. Long ago If I stopped for a pedestrian anywhere other than a pedestrian crossing I could expect an angry horn blast from a driver behind, but that's no longer the case. On a regular five mile run south beyond London's boundary there's a long stretch at one point where the traffic is continuous in both directions.

From time to time I spot a pedestrian or more waiting to cross where the sole road island is so I give them a double flash to prepare them and slow down and stop. On every occasion to date another driver in the line of traffic coming from the opposite direction has seen my move and also stopped. And I'm not the only driver to initiate that, I've seen others do it in occasion.

The only reason I can think of why it is so different here is that quite a while ago my whole borough changed to a 20 mph limit on all roads except the through routes. With the traffic much slower, stopping is easier, doesn't slow drivers very much and there's longer to slow and prepare to stop when pedestrians are seen ahead.

So maybe that is the key, slowing everything down to allow more time for courtesy and planning ahead.
North London, and some better away from traffic cut throughs plus 20 MPH in all side streets when I left.
I never did a lot of cycling. Was just getting back into it when my bike got nicked. Then I moved to Telford.

I've seen some good drivers, but many drive like nuts round here, especially where roads are wider with no traffic calming.
Eventually as the density grows I think the LA will catch up to adding 20MPH in some areas...

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Saw this - despite it's many blue lights, I'm pretty sure this van isn't a fuzzwagon. One rule for cyclists, another for motorists? :mad:

These extra reflectors work well - overtaking cars now allow my bike more room at night:

Last edited:

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Saw this - despite it's many blue lights, I'm pretty sure this van isn't a fuzzwagon. One rule for cyclists, another for motorists? :mad:

View attachment 45588
More like one rule for selfish people, one for the rest of us.
'Tosser' immediately comes to mind when I see those vehicles. If everyone shows blue lights they stop being effective.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc