Highway code changes

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
Re: the Netherlands - rather than the Dutch Reach technique you're going to need Dutch courage for that junction.
So that's drink plenty of alcoholic fluids tomorrow morning and then see if that Artic has a. spotted me and b. is up-to-date on the highway code. I'll let you know tomorrow! ;o)

avoid potentially nasty trouble spots like that!
-I've got most of my route sorted as quite road, cycle way or bridal way. There isn't a good solution for this spot unfortunately otherwise I would!

Yes you have got it right
Wow. Well I wont expect it! I don't know what the council is thinking here as there is a really well built cycle way on the A57 towards Worksop but it only leads to this spot at one end and a similar nasty spot at the other:
https://goo.gl/maps/MCmrDVV6PUmEiVnx8 -road to nowhere.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know what the council is thinking here as there is a really well built cycle way on the A57 towards Worksop but it only leads to this spot at one end and a similar nasty spot at the other:
https://goo.gl/maps/MCmrDVV6PUmEiVnx8 -road to nowhere.
That's very typical, Britain is famed for it's cyclepaths that start nowhere and end nowhere.

This otherwise superb example in my area peters out to an ordinary pavement at one end and a narrow bottleneck between iron railings and an overgrown hedge at the other end:

Reactions: DBye

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I do my utmost to avoid potentially nasty trouble spots like that! Even if it means taking a longer route.
-I've got most of my route sorted as quite road, cycle way or bridal way. There isn't a good solution for this spot unfortunately otherwise I would!

As a cyclist, I find roundabouts terrifying - whether making one's way carrefully around the edge, or changing lanes as a car or motorbike would, either way risks getting squished at speed. Adding miles (0.6, but I don't know your area or route) provides a little peace of mind:

It's dangerous to assume that driver behaviour has changed for the better.

I would love to see "Avoid roundabouts (where possible)" options in cycling route planning software.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: trevor brooker

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
As a cyclist, I find roundabouts terrifying - whether making on's way carrefully around the edge, or changing lanes as a car or motorbike would, either way risks getting squished at speed. Adding miles (0.6, but I don't know your area or route) provides a little peace of mind:
I would concur complety.

There was a time as a fit youngster, and on a decent 'racing' bike it was not much of a problem, on most roundabouts I could cycle as fast as the cars and there was less traffic anyway.

These days, some 45 years later, the risk (to me) of using the average roundabout is much much greater, I am slower, the cars are faster and there are a more of them. A lot of drivers these days seem to use the lanes of a roundabout as a game of Tetris, to gain points and save the odd half a second off their journey time.

There is a major roundabout not far from where I live, its one of those 'Do you feel lucky punk' roundabouts. The speed limit is 20mph, but in this freedom loving UK, very few drivers follow it.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
Reminds me, whilst in Singapore I saw a similarly lit peleton one evening. As for highway code changes I see and do not expect to see any changes in behavior and will carry on in my leisure rides to avoid main roads. Even country roads and lanes carry their fair amount of impatient road users .

Last edited:
  • Agree

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Even country roads and lanes carry their fair amount of impatient road users .
I agree, but my experience when I commuted a county lane was that I saw more inconsiderate cyclists (especially not permitting cars behind them to pass at passing places) than impatient drivers.

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
One of the things I have frequently said about car drivers and the speds they do these days. Why do car manufacturers bother fitting accelerator pedals and all the mechanism that goes with them? A simple engine OFF or full power switch would suffice.

• :D

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
They are just speed pedals these days, so many HP and so much torque in most cars that you don't notice the acceleration phase, you just instantly achieve a higher speed. Unless something solid gets in the way. :)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
One of the things I have frequently said about car drivers and the speds they do these days. Why do car manufacturers bother fitting accelerator pedals and all the mechanism that goes with them? A simple engine OFF or full power switch would suffice.
Why not? It's what my ebike does :cool:

Philip Copley

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2018
The sad thing is that it will take an accident usually to get anything done, for example, if you see a SLOW sign on the road before a blind summit, someone will have crossed the lanes on the summit and either died or had a bad accident there for them to spend money on the SLOW sign, it'll take the same on crossroads and lights will appear when someone dies trying to cross with the new "suggestions".

Leedspete

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2021
I nearly got wiped out by a electric scooter on the wrong side of the road. Always happening in leeds

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Electric scooters are dangerous for pretty much everyone, including their riders.... I saw this guy fall over on the other side of the road. There was no reason for him to tip over, that I could see. I was ready to call an ambulance, but he looked ok (apart from being an idiot with an escooter):

Last edited: