Hill Climb Challenges

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
I discovered last year that one of my local roads, White Lane, is used annually for a hill climbing challenge by fit lycra cyclists. When I first got my Agattu, I accidentally went up that hill and found out what a killer it can be. The hill is a mile long. It starts off as a 1 in 7 and ends as a 1 in 4.

As I was nearby today, I thought I'd have a go at setting an 'official' time for a pedelec rider. My timings are starting with the back wheel touching the dashed white line at the bottom of the hill, and end when the front wheel reaches the dashed white line at the top.

Today I did it in.... 4mins 56 secs ... Not a great time, but I had panniers on the bike, the wheels were caked in mud and rubbing against the mud guards.. and it turns out that the dynamo was on too. It probably didn't help that I was riding one-handed for part of the way whilst taking my gloves off.

Apparently the winner of last year's challenge did it in 1 minute 46.3 secs on a normal bike (but I bet he was worn out when he got to the top)

I plan on trying that one again one day. I'll put in a bit more effort next time with a less-encumbered bike. I reckon I could easily shave a minute off my time.

Does anyone else have their own hill climb challenge records? I've heard Kids hill mentioned before on this forum.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Excellent idea! lets put this to bed once and for all hub V crank:)

is one and the same person going to ride all the entrants.....He will need to be fit and non partisan:D

In the words of Harry Hill FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Crank/drive-through-the-gears is the winner on this sort of very steep hill.

I've done the same hill on my Q-bike which is about as powerful a hub motor can legally get, but it was an absolute killer, bringing me almost to a standstill on the steepest point on the nearside which very briefly at about two thirds up is even steeper than the 1 in 4 Fecn mentioned. I didn't time the climb.

I won't be trying it again on the hub motor bike since it is a killer, I'm not getting any younger, and more importantly the torque strain at a near standstill on the nylon gears of this most powerful of the legal Bafang motors is asking for trouble. They can fail at much lower forces.

If pushed, I'd tackle it again on one of the Panasonic powered bikes though.

I've used this hill as a shortcut in the downhill direction a few times, but that's not funny either, the steepness, the potholes and rutting and a sharp bend and T junction termination at the foot means brakes on all the time at a moderate speed, doing the brake pads and rims no good.