Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Since I actually have a spare 36v BMS (from a dead phylion celled pack) I'm seriously considering using a 4s 16ah and a 6s 16ah and wiring them into the BMS I have for a 36v plug n play setup

I then use a booster battery to get to 48v which is what I use now. Or don't use when I take the kids out. I stay at 36v 250w and legal (or not prosecutable for the picky !)

I'm going to wire up the BMS to a bunch of 18650 cells and check it is working properly ie balances and cuts off as it should

This could give me a 16ah pack for about 120 quid all in ( including a ibera frame bag)

If you see any fatal flaws do let me know !

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I should add I have had a bad experience with that eBay seller .

Fake Panasonic 18650 cells that lasted a week . I now use old, used, recycled laptop cells that usually last at least 6 months of daily abuse. And are free !

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Same as the second one I saw but less amps.
Thanks.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Too technical for me anyway!

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Had my first try of mine with the new Multistar 16Ah LiPo's on and it was great.
The difference in weight from the Dillenger/Headway pack is noticeable when manhandling it.
The top speed hot off the charger increased from 23.8Mph(Headway) to 27Mph(Multistar).
I am still waiting for my wattmeter to arrive before I find out the range but I can say that even up the steepest long hills the batteries gave no cause for concern and ran cold.
Nice warm ,sunny day as well!
[/IMG]

Batteries in box with a layer of anti vibration foam

Secured to the Topeak beam rack

Weatherproof covering

Out in the field

At Barnard Castle

At Raby castle

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Waiting for the Ibera triangle bag.
The box contains a tupperware box lined on all 6 sides with foam...

Spotty dog

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2014
Hi kinninvie,
Am about to fit a BBS 02 to my bike how are you multistars performing what sort of range do you get.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
They are perfect for the BBS02 750 and I get 50 miles out of a pair of 16Ah but I do weigh 17 stone and dont pedal to hard.
I also live up on the Teesdale moors so have big hills in all directions.

Spotty dog

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2014
Thats really good performance I have 2 zippy 8000 6s I got them before I saw the multistars am hoping should be ok for shorter rides of 10/15 miles.
Any thoughts on suitability of putting the 2 zippys into parallel then in series with a 16000 6s multistar for a longer range set up.
They have very different C ratings so may be not a good or viable set up, had I seen them first would have gone for 2 of the multistars as your using.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I reckon it could work BUT you would need to use low cell alarms to make sure one did not drop too far and you would have to charge them seperately to the Multistar due to different internal resistances.
You also need to make sure ALL cells are at the same voltage before connecting.
If you cant do that religiously dont even think about it.
I use a 13Ah 2s battery in series with a pair of multistars but never use more than 10Ah out of them and charge seperately.

Spotty dog

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2014
Thx some good points made I have low voltage alarms and prefer to balance charge my packs you can't be too careful with lipo.I have a parallel charging set up so may be less hassle to bite the bullet and have a pair of multistars for bigger rides and have 2 sets of battery's paired with matching c ratings.They sound ideal wish I seen them first!

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
I had been looking at hobby King for a while for different projects, good kit at good prices especially now they have opened uk warehouse.

Anyway eHomer - was it a case of literally running the 2 packs in series and then connecting to your controller or did you need other gadgets/trickery in the end to run it safely and correctly? I love the diy route and a 48v 16ah battery for around £160 sounds lovely!

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I suggest you google "using LiPo" and spend a few days reading everything you can find before deciding if you are capable of using them.

Reactions: handbaked