Holborn cycle death: Woman was dragged under lorry, court hears

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
So sad and a salutary lesson for cyclists to be extra vigilant when pulling up beside large vehicles.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So sad and a salutary lesson for cyclists to be extra vigilant when pulling up beside large vehicles.
She'd have been wiser not to pull alongside or at least stay behind his indicator so she could see he'd switched it on to start his turn left.

This was a major subject in here during the 2010s when we had lots of these nearside truck turn deaths with almost all being women cyclists, despite being less than a quarter of the cyclists at the time.

Time for a new publicity campaign about the cause perhaps, it worked to stop the deaths last time.

Reactions: Bikes4two

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I don't even trust cars enough to stop at lights beside them, let alone lorries, because the vast majority of drivers these days never bother to indicate. :mad:

With the Oxford safety reflector arm mounted to my bike's right handbar end, my bike's width measures 111cm, so vehicles don't tend to stop beside me.

Reactions: esuark

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Sadly these days there does seem to be a lot of manoeuvre then maybe a signal then who knows, mirror!
Dicey crossing the road as a pedestrian too: they turn at intersections, then some might indicate afterwards, if they see you.

Reactions: sjpt