Home made Cruise Control

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

I had a bell that was not very good, so I cut the bell off and used the bracket that goes around the handle bar. I drilled a hole in a small piece of plastic and screwed it in from the top rather than how it was through the bottom. I then put the bell bracket on after the throttle and then placed the brake lever & grip back on. I can either turn the new bracket out of the way and then when on a long journey I can then just turn it around until it touches the original throttle and turn until it is at desired speed. When I want the normal thrittle, I just turn it with my thum and continue to use the standard throttle as normal. I intend to go out for a ride later so I will post to see how I get on.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

When you put the brake back in place, all you have to do is to push against the cruise a little bit, but not too much just so it makes it a little tight. Dont ram it though as there is no need to. Just enough to make it stick to the original throttle.

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
A simple solution! I love seeing peoples different approaches to cruise control. Some controllers do have this feature built-in though and you can "program" them by holding the throttle a few seconds after connecting a certain pin (I think) on controller. I'm not sure how practical the controller approach would be though on the road, and can see why people are coming up with their own switches and other solutions.

I wonder if the manufacturers of these throttles will have noticed this and will bring out a new version of the throttle which has a way of disabling the spring-loaded "pull back".

I noticed the Speedict also has a 6km/h "start up" button feature.. I think this is designed to comply with EU law to allow bikes to be pushed under power up hills? I'm wondering if it might be possible to fit that button and reset the speed higher so it becomes a cruise control, assuming it's a button switch and not a button you have to keep pressed.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
A simple solution! I love seeing peoples different approaches to cruise control. Some controllers do have this feature built-in though and you can "program" them by holding the throttle a few seconds after connecting a certain pin (I think) on controller. I'm not sure how practical the controller approach would be though on the road, and can see why people are coming up with their own switches and other solutions.

I wonder if the manufacturers of these throttles will have noticed this and will bring out a new version of the throttle which has a way of disabling the spring-loaded "pull back".

I noticed the Speedict also has a 6km/h "start up" button feature.. I think this is designed to comply with EU law to allow bikes to be pushed under power up hills? I'm wondering if it might be possible to fit that button and reset the speed higher so it becomes a cruise control, assuming it's a button switch and not a button you have to keep pressed.
Many of the commonly available controllers have a built-in cruise control function, but finding detailed information on how to make it work well isn't easy. The Xiechang (Keywin, e-crazyman, so called "infineon", some Crystalyte, Lyenetc, etc) range of controllers (all basically the same internally, pretty common, reasonably cheap and very easily programmed with a PC) have several cruise control options and these have been pretty well documented on ES. The Wuxi Xichen Micro-Electronic Co range of controllers (KU series, Greentime, Hua Tong, etc etc, again all pretty much identical internally) also seem to have cruise control, but as we haven't been able to crack the programming method we have no way of knowing for sure what the seller or middleman has programmed the cruise settings for.

The Xiechang controllers can have either autocruise, where holding the throttle at one position for a set (programmable) time period activates speed hold, or they can have button activated cruise. They also have LED drive outputs than can display things like cruise setting, speed switch selection etc for a handlebar display. My guess is that the Wuxi Xichen Micro-Electronic Co controllers are probably similar, but without the ability to programme them easily they aren't as versatile.

I found that autocruise, with a long engagement time, was great with a thumb throttle on my recumbent, but that the button activated cruise was a bit awkward to use. Ebrakes were essential to kill the cruise function. My primary concern was being able to ensure that I could kill the power instantly when I used to use this function, as the potential for coming a cropper if the power stayed on even a fraction longer than intended was quite high.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
That's good point Jeremy about giving thought to safety if having a cruise control... without effective e-brake this could be a potentially lethal mod on an e-bike eh. Important to check it's working correctly and your brakes/motor cut-off regularly.

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
That's good point Jeremy about giving thought to safety if having a cruise control... without effective e-brake this could be a potentially lethal mod on an e-bike eh. Important to check it's working correctly and your brakes/motor cut-off regularly.
The reason I raised the point is that it caught me out! My old SWB recumbent had the motor in the front wheel and was prone to a front wheel skid if the brakes were applied hard with the wheel at even the slightest angle. I had the cruise stick on by accident and came off when trying to stop at a junction as I used the brakes hard against the motor. I didn't have ebrakes fitted at the time and didn't realise just how iffy this was.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I have not got brake cut offs, and I must say after going out for a ride it worked a treat. I will only use it on open roads/cycle paths. All other times I will stick to normal throttle.

It really is quick and easy to change between modes.

Hope you all get out for a ride over the festive season. I am just looking where new to go during the next few days.

Happy Holidays to one and all.:)