Horny youths

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
I don't know whether this is just an Isle of Man thing or more general. Drivers here are usually considerate but there seems to be a new craze among young drivers to come up close behind a pedal cycle and then give a long loud blast on the horn, presumably in an attempt to frighten the cyclist.

One did it to me yesterday and then drove past with the young male driver and female passenger laughing as they went. Then they had to stop at temporary roadworks traffic lights just along the road! I stopped alongside and had words. The driver was suitably apologetic and embarrassed in front of his girlfriend. I don't know if my words of wisdom did any good but they made me feel better.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I don't know whether this is just an Isle of Man thing or more general. Drivers here are usually considerate but there seems to be a new craze among young drivers to come up close behind a pedal cycle and then give a long loud blast on the horn, presumably in an attempt to frighten the cyclist.

One did it to me yesterday and then drove past with the young male driver and female passenger laughing as they went. Then they had to stop at temporary roadworks traffic lights just along the road! I stopped alongside and had words. The driver was suitably apologetic and embarrassed in front of his girlfriend. I don't know if my words of wisdom did any good but they made me feel better.
This sort of thing has been going on in main land UK for some time, so it has probably spread to the Isle of Man from here.

Be careful because if you remonstrate with the offending driver, he can cite those objections as mitigating circumstances which prevailed at the time that he stabbed you to death. Courts in the UK will accept this.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Yes, i've had that done a few times. Once i lost it completely on one guy who did that. :eek: Quite ashamed, looking back. These days i sort of expect the odd idiot to do that, so it doesnt startle me, i just smile and wave.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've had it happen in and around my South London borough at times, mostly by groups of young yobs in tarted up old hatchbacks.

D

Deleted member 4366

Looks like I need cameras front and rear to catch those that offend against cyclists. I've just received my HD 170 degree viewing angle camera, but not fitted it yet. Oh well, back to e-bay!

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Perhaps the government should provide us with cameras for our bikes, we can then be mobile CCTV stations, fighting crime wherever we go... well recording it anyway ;)

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Implant

If the government had there way we would have one Implanted at birth

so the could spy on everybody Then we would all have a third eye

Frank

D

Deleted member 4366

Perhaps the government should provide us with cameras for our bikes, we can then be mobile CCTV stations, fighting crime wherever we go... well recording it anyway ;)
I think this will be the way as the cuts go deeper and deeper. Rather than the police collecting evidence, it'll be up to residents groups, etc. to collect it and pass a file to the crown prosecution service.

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
I've had it happen in and around my South London borough at times, mostly by groups of young yobs in tarted up old hatchbacks.
Fits the description of the car! It isn't a particularly clever thing for the yobs to do on a small island. Once you have had reason to take note of a particular car or person the chances are that you are going to keep meeting them. (A good reason to be a considerate driver). Even if it isn't sensible or possible to confront them on the road, the time will come.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It isn't a particularly clever thing for the yobs to do on a small island. Once you have had reason to take note of a particular car or person the chances are that you are going to keep meeting them.
Even in this London borough it isn't sensible for them to do this or similar, since they tend to be local anyway. In the large council estate where many of them have their home, we often get reports of cars mysteriously set alight at nights and burnt out while parked outside their homes. It's a regular job for their local fire station.

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
Even in this London borough it isn't sensible for them to do this or similar, since they tend to be local anyway. In the large council estate where many of them have their home, we often get reports of cars mysteriously set alight at nights and burnt out while parked outside their homes. It's a regular job for their local fire station.
I don't think I'll go quite that far just yet:rolleyes:

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
I've noticed this behaviour, and it is more common when riding the Torq than the Cytronex. Sometimes you do overhaul them at lights etc, and (perhaps irresponsibly) I never pass on the opportunity to remonstrate, irrespective of who, how many etc.
To me it's an extension of the playground bully philosophy. One day I may come unstuck, but so far so good...