How do I waterproof the battery / controllor socket when not in use?

MancMan

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 18, 2020
Morning all.

My wifes hybrid conversion is now 99% complete. (using a rear hub Yose power kit)

My next question, when the battery is not in place, but the bike is outside in the rain (it can't be garaged all its life), how do you keep the 5 pin socket dry (not of the battery pack, that will be taken inside).

The battery is mounted onto a pannier rack, and I had to mount it in a way so that the battery terminals were at the lowest part of the pannier, nearest the seat post (if that makes sense)

Thanks as always for any help given

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yep a bike cover, car cover, tarp or shed.

WallyM

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Picture would help. But as a vivid sailor (my other hobby) I found out that water always finds a way.. So, as suggested, the best way is to cover completely or at least a tarp over the pannier rack which you can affix with those rubber belts you also use for cargo on it.. Another precaution would be to keep the terminals always covered with an anti corrosion spray designed for electric. Otherwise, even air humidity will lead to corrosion when exposed.

MancMan

Aug 18, 2020
Thanks, TBH it will be covered most of the time, but obviously things get wet.

My concern is that sometimes it will be on the back of a campervan and even though it will be covered, roadspray can get anywhere :-(

will Silverhook SGPGT90, Silicone Grease Tube do the job

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
My concern is that sometimes it will be on the back of a campervan and even though it will be covered, roadspray can get anywhere :-(
Get yourself some folding pedals and quick release clamps for the stem. Turn the handlebars 90 deg, fold the pedals and carry it inside when it's wet.

Also available in M6:

The same applies to keeping a bike in your flat/house. With it flattened like that, it doesn't get in the way.

Reactions: WallyM

MancMan

Aug 18, 2020
Thanks for all the answers.

I will re-think the angle of te eunit to see if I can get water to run away from it when it is on the campervan.

Reactions: WallyM