How do the BBS converted bikes ride?.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Hello all, bit of an odd question but bear with me!.

I've been reading up on the BBS conversions and I'm looking at the HD. I have a Carrera Vengence with disc brakes, front shocks and soon to be fitted Nuvinci 360 rear hub.

I plan on fitting the hub and using the bike legs only to iron any gremlins out then go over to an ebike conversion later in the year. This will be a weekend toy.

Just interested in what the BBS bikes are like to ride?, I like to have some input in the speed/ torque through the pedals rather than just being pushed along by the motor.

I've read the PAS function is basically an on off switch, how does this relate to riding on the road?, are you constantly changing assist modes to maintain a set speed?. If you are on assist 9 setting off from the lights does it try to launch you off the back?.

How do people normally ride, maybe leave it in medium assist until you hit a big hill?.

I can go through the "gears" with the Nuvinci but would be annoyed if I had to constantly adjust assist settings as well, maybe I'm just overthinking it..

Would be ideal if the controller used crank rpm as an input to base it's output on but doesn't seem to be the case.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I leave mine (BBS01)on max(3) I think that's about 10amps straight out of the box.
With an 8 spd Alfine hub. It starts fine in 4th on the flat and then hits 15.8 mph easy in 5th . Their after its all me on my own. I change gear to keep the cadence right so 6 for 17-20. 7 for 19-23 and 8 th for 24-40 mph:D(down hill and part way up the other side).

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I use mine on PAS only, no throttle fitted.

Yes, it is basically an on switch, which will run the motor at the level the display PAS setting is at.

If you are serious about getting the best performance out of any BBS, then a controller programming cable is a must. Don't quote me, but I reckon the BBSHD may be a bit brutal out of the box and require software tweaking.

The acceleration on my BBS02 on the highest setting is unreal, so I can't imagine what the HD is like :eek:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Pas no throttle( it's still in the box).settings as supplied I haven't got round to programming as my range is ridiculous on full power and average speeds are up at 17mph, on a low traffic day.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The 01 is enough for me. But if you want to chance it then you might as well have a sheep not a lamb. But expect limited range for either.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I could always limit the amps but still wouldn't get the same range as a smaller motor?.

It's more of a project than transport really as my Gtech is my daily work horse and does it very well, just fancy an experiment.

Price wise there's not enough in it to sway either way although the HD needs a bigger battery to back it up.

Saying that you seem to have the same riding style as me so maybe a 36v 02 would be enough..

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The 01 can assist to 50 kph if you wanted. And be almost as powerful as the 02 it can run 18amps with 36 volts. That would make you KOM everywhere. Keeping mine low power I'm regularly in the top 15-30% bracket on strava. Down hill is just me and gravity so I go quick.
Remember a normal fit cyclist holds 250 watts. An elite gets to around 700 watts. Well the 01 can give you 700 watts of assistance and add your effort and you are flying. I don't see the need to go illegal power when the legal kits are so strong. Faster with modded limiter would be nice but it reduces range and so I stick to the legal setup.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Agree with D8ve it is all a question of range, if it is a toy go for the maximum fun level. I use my bike (which isn't a BBS but a clone) as a means of transport so range primes over fun.

My style is still a bit "hub motor rider" but I am improving, and I always used my gears on the hub motor too. Assistance level = chainwheel and cassette gears used to suit the terrain. I am in 2 around town and on the rare bits of flat and 3 to 5 climbing depending on gradiant and of course 0 downhill.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Thanks for all the replies and a lot to think about.

Is the 01 phsically smaller than the 02 (need to do some research).

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Not really very much I think the 02 is a little wider to fit more copper windings an cooling fins are different. You can find dimensions on the bafang site (on tiny screen so too lazy to post link :oops: )