How do you ride your ebike

enndee

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2014
Have been riding my first ebike this last week and find that I tend to cruise a couple of mph above the cut off point but that when going up a hill I can end up hovering around the cut off which seems to cause more of a strain. To get around that I either push on faster or let it slow to within the limit.
So I was wondering if people tend to try to keep within the max assisted speed or whether they only use it as a starting off boost?

D

Deleted member 4366

Your bike uses a speed-control controller, so that the different PAS levels are speed targets that the controller tries to maintain. The greater the difference between the target speed and your actual speed when below the target speed, the more power is given by the controller in an attempt to get to the target speed. This means that you get a sort of automatic power control for climbing hills. The slower you go, the more power you get. Some other bikes don't work like that, like Bosch, Kalkhoff, Panasonic, etc.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I use mine differently, depending on situation.

If I'm going to a meeting on a warm day wearing a shirt, I will be letting the bike do most of the work. I'll pedal, but not put in a lot of effort so that I arrive looking like the chauffeur dropped me at the front door.

If I'm coming home, I'll turn the throttle full on, and pedal as hard as I dare, so that when I arrive home I'll be sweating like a Disk Jockey under cross examination.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I have PAS on low to simply help get the bike moving from a standstill and when moving I do the work pedalling but keep the throttle just a smidge over my speed so I'm not out of breath. This makes pedalling really easier, gives me more (pedalling)speed and cancels out headwinds.

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
I usually ride with a low level of assist, but blip the throttle on setting off to bring me up to speed then pedal to maintain that speed.

enndee

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2014
My bike has the usual 5 levels of assist. I thought they just set a target speed and once achieved they cut off completely, or do they continue at a lower rate until the 15.5mph cut off?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My bike has the usual 5 levels of assist. I thought they just set a target speed and once achieved they cut off completely, or do they continue at a lower rate until the 15.5mph cut off?
Some systems phase down the power as it approaches the assist limit, and this is a requirement of EU law on pedelecs. However, that law does not specify the point at which phase down starts, so some systems are more abrupt than others.

The most severe phase down law is the Japanese one, they require the phase down to start at 15 kph (9.4mph) with power terminating at 25kph (15.6mph). That is so gradual it's impossible to determine exactly when the power actually disappears!

D

Deleted member 4366

The amount of power you get depends on how close you are to the target speed. It reduces as you approach it from below. You get no power above it. The slower you go, the more power you get up to the controller's maximum.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The amount of power you get depends on how close you are to the target speed.
That is another aspect of the BH hub drive that I like. In an off road situation you can sort of cheat the system into running on for a few seconds almost above cut off speed after you have stopped pedalling. It comes in very handy when hitting deep ruts that you would otherwise not be able to pedal properly along. I'm pretty sure the BH cuts out on the wrong side of the required limit. :)