How does police check ebikes?

LonBad

Just Joined
Jun 23, 2022
I recently bought a SUPER73 S2 second hand and the previous owner modified the power output from 250w to 350w but it still cuts out at 15.5mph. I would like to keep it as he told me it helped him up hills which my town is full of but I'm worried getting stopped and the bike seized because it outputs more than the law allows, I was wondering if anyone got stopped and how the police checked the ebike? Would I be able to get away with 350w or is it obvious for them to tell and should I revert it back?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my bike goes 35mph plod does not care m8s bafang goes even faster :p

Reactions: Stan464

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I recently bought a SUPER73 S2 second hand and the previous owner modified the power output from 250w to 350w but it still cuts out at 15.5mph. I would like to keep it as he told me it helped him up hills which my town is full of but I'm worried getting stopped and the bike seized because it outputs more than the law allows, I was wondering if anyone got stopped and how the police checked the ebike? Would I be able to get away with 350w or is it obvious for them to tell and should I revert it back?
They don't check. So long as the motor looks original and/or is marked or listed as 250 watts, they will be content.

The only times we've ever known of a check is after an accident, but even then it isn't by any form of measurement, they just go by what the motor or bike is marked as or listed as.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
As you'll see on lots of other posts, the 250w is a nominal continuous power rating. Almost all motors go up to at least 400w for short periods, many to 700w or above; apparently 800w on the more powerful Bosch ones. Not uncommon for the same motor to be stamped 250 for UK/EU sales and 350w in the US.

LonBad

Just Joined
Jun 23, 2022
They don't check. So long as the motor looks original and/or is marked or listed as 250 watts, they will be content.

The only times we've ever known of a check is after an accident, but even then it isn't by any form of measurement, they just go by what the motor or bike is marked as or listed as.
Reason why I'm asking is cause I seen videos like this: https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMLsaCJFK/

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it is a publicity stunt and do them now and then but 99% they just dont care.

a m8 had a 1000w hub motor and crashed in to a steal barrier going 30mph at night pi$$ed out of his head he snapped the barrier in half where it is concreated in to the floor him and the bike summersaulted over what was left of it and spent 2 weeks in hospital.

police took the bike but as the batt flew off it got stashed in a back pack b4 plod and ambulance scraped his asss of the floor.

he got the bike back in the end but the frame was fooked and no charges so there you go ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Reason why I'm asking is cause I seen videos like this: https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMLsaCJFK/
Don't worry, they are after the most blatant ones, such as those with huge Chinese DD motors from 1000 watt upwards, sometimes capable of 40 mph.

If your bike just has a 250 watt motor boosted by a controller or voltage change, they won't even notice or know how to check it.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i race the police cars and there still not interested first thing i did when i got my bike 8 years ago :p