how drivers see you based on the clothes you wear.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I got an impressively bright light the other day, your (hopefully not!) landing strips are a good idea, I'll have to add them:

View attachment 39980

The yellow cloth is an unused high visibility vest (over a waterproof rucksack cover) to conceal my ebike's true nature...

I knew a colourblind artist once... bright yellow is an unremarkable grey.

Thank you, I'll get lightweight motorbike robocopped - the rear view mirror is a great idea I hadn't considered, I've ordered one which attaches to the end of my right handlebar, to see if it's a useful design which reveals enough about potential dangers lurking behind me... I don't have a lot of room on my handlebars at the moment or I would have gone for something else.

Aaaarrrgghh the yellow high viz jacket with reflective strips I ordered arrived without reflective strips! Return and refund!

If people are distracted texting while driving, maybe I need an insanely loud horn to wake them from their phonedream? Any recommendations on extremely horns? Maybe I can plumb it into the battery or controller.

I use these, quite cheap, loud and run off e-bike battery ok:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
An Airzound is very loud about 140db at 100psi, simply works via an air cannister using a pushbike tyre pump to pressurise or even better a track pump.

Reactions: pentiumofborg

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
I think we need to focus on starting from where we are

we are (mostly) in the UK - and in some areas there are some good cycle paths - but often these have problems that drivers may not be aware of some we may be riding on the road anyway

and also - there are not that many cyclists on many roads - so we are not a usual problem for a driver
and - a cyclist is a narrow object who is normally over to the side of the road and can get viewed against a complex background

so - in the current circumstances - I would prefer to make sure that I do everything I can to help a driver see me - especially at this time of year
because a while ago I tested my bones against tarmac at slow speed and it didn't go well
I really don't want to try again - or against a steel box

all in all - yellow hi vis seems to work well when I am driving
and lights work well as soon as sunset gets near
reflective stuff is also great for anything with headlights

so in daylights I'm the one in yellow

get close to dark and I want you to be thinking of Blackpool Illuminations when you see me

on which point - did someone mention motion charged pedal things that show/flash led lights?????
I need them!!!

D

Deleted member 33385

I use these, quite cheap, loud and run off e-bike battery ok:

View attachment 39981
That's a brilliant idea! I've got 6 Volts and I'm not afraid to use them! I'll get a waterproof phonedream kill-switch too.

An Airzound is very loud about 140db at 100psi, simply works via an air cannister using a pushbike tyre pump to pressurise or even better a track pump.
That looks just the thing to drive that whistle that only teenagers can hear...

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
on which point - did someone mention motion charged pedal things that show/flash led lights?????
I need them!!!
Got mine from Halfords, can't find them at the mo. Basic pedal, some would say they're too small/too little grip, but I only ride tarmac (mostly) and they're fine. From the odd looks I get they certainly attract attention, no maintenance as they work from micro generators in the pedal.

sneggysteve

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2020
Got mine from Halfords, can't find them at the mo. Basic pedal, some would say they're too small/too little grip, but I only ride tarmac (mostly) and they're fine. From the odd looks I get they certainly attract attention, no maintenance as they work from micro generators in the pedal.
These?

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020
I bought this bar end mirror from Chain reaction cycles for about £9 not thinking much of it. The view behind is wide and it stays in place on my commute. I was very sceptical about its size but it's really good.39990

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
[QUOTE="post: 595106, member: 33385

[/QUOTE]

Everyman and his dog can hear the airzound and that's inside a car.

D

Deleted member 33385

[QUOTE="post: 595106, member: 33385

Everyman and his dog can hear the airzound and that's inside a car.
[/QUOTE]

You must have young ears! It usually sounds higher pitched outside the car - often high pitched noises lengthen in amplitude by the time they make their way inside, lowering in pitch - the ventilation ducts work the way bass tubes do in clubs do.

D

Deleted member 33385

I bought this bar end mirror from Chain reaction cycles for about £9 not thinking much of it. The view behind is wide and it stays in place on my commute. I was very sceptical about its size but it's really good.View attachment 39990
Yep, ordered one of those - they look like a great idea. I really should think of myself as riding a motorbike... maybe I'll get indicators!

Reactions: Grebacwhite