How effective is "slime" at preventing punctures?

D

Deleted member 33385

I haven't tried them, but heard they cause you to get though spokes (which are even more awkward do deal with).

...makes sense that you'd get through spokes - hard for a solid to match the shock absorbing qualities of an air-filled tyre. Interesting (but old) article:

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
If I was commuting to work I wouldn't be without slime, looking at the number of green dots on my tyre in the past it has saved me many times, although it hasn't worked every time though. The trick with it is to shake it like mad for as long as you can before installing it to evenly mix up the bits which will all be at the bottom of the bottle.

D

Deleted member 33385

I haven't tried them, but heard they cause you to get though spokes (which are even more awkward do deal with).

I wonder how well magwheels with solid tyres would cope with rabid offroading?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I wonder how well magwheels with solid tyres would cope with rabid offroading?

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

That's just a super sexy but bigger BMX wheel!

...what's old is new again, again.

I might put BMX magwheels and solid tyres to my Dahon Helios P8 lol.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
did you see the price of them things lol i cant even find a bike with them on even over 10k.

you pay more for less these days :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 33385

did you see the price of them things lol i cant even find a bike with them on even over 10k.

you pay more for less these days :rolleyes:

£2,436 per broken spoke... o_O

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

Slimed inner tubes: Does slime block the valve when you want to reduce pressure?

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
I was using Bontrager LT3 (26") they were amazing for the first 2 years, out in all weathers and not one puncture, then a massive streak of cuts, forced me to replace the tires, so I changed to Schwalbe puncture Kevlar walls and they did good for ages then as mentioned back to punctures... I think it's luck of the draw in most cases, however slime does help, most of the recent glass cuts, when the innertube was removed there was actually several other small green blobs and tiny thorn holes so I feel that they work. £9 a slime tube v £4 a norm tube, while I am flush I'll stick with slime.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
  • Useful
D

Deleted member 33385

Do pre-slimed tubes have removable valve cores, so that I can top up?

L6mbt

Pedelecer
Feb 1, 2019
I believe it is recommended that slimed tubes (either pre-slimed or self-slimed) are replaced after two years. Seems a reasonable proposition to me for a puncture-free existence.

• Informative

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
The wise old guy at the bike shop almost sold me some pre-slimed inner tubes last week, he's been right about everything else... maybe I should have bought them.

Anyone tried solid tyres?
Not since Mr Dunlop did his thing.

D

Deleted member 33385

Airless tyre developed with NASA - can be retreaded over the alloy, which lasts years:

...but tiny particles of nickel breathed into the lungs as these tyres wear out, can cause cancer. So best wear NASA spacesuits, which we all may be wearing soon anyway because of Covid-19, 20, 21 etc.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

Well, I'm convinced - ordering pre-slimed inner tubes. Can't argue with the wisdom on these boards...

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Of course yesterday I had a puncture two miles from home. I inflated with a CO2 gas thing, it got me home and is still inflated this morning.
Not that it's got the full amount Slime in it, but that's another story.

D

Deleted member 33385

Of course yesterday I had a puncture two miles from home. I inflated with a CO2 gas thing, it got me home and is still inflated this morning.

That's the worry, isn't it? 40+ miles from home is dead easy on an ebike. Mad not to slime.

Looks like I'll be ordering some CO2 too...

Reactions: Croxden
D

Deleted member 33385

I've just risked life limb and Covid and bought two pre-slimed from the local bike shop. CO2 canisters don't have pressure guages, the VeloChamption pump does and is pretty small, I'l stick with that for now. It's bloody good, tiny too:

It actually does a better job than my foot pump, which broke on second use.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
40, 50 or 60 miles from home if I puncture a patch doesn't take long for me to put on so much better then a tyre full of green shite when the tube doesn't seal.