How far do you ride?

ritmo

Just Joined
Oct 16, 2008
Hello,

I'm interested to know how far you all cycle on your pedelecs on a normal day? And what's the furthest you've managed?

I have about a 3 mile cycle to college, but it's all up hill. 6 miles there and back. But I often do longer trips up to 60miles in a day.

Let's hear it...

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
Since I got the bike 3.5 weeks ago, I've averaged around 5 miles per day (including weekends), but I'm not commuting anywhere and I'm just riding it around for the fun of it. Longest trip I've done so far was 17 miles to visit my accountant. I tend to mostly use it for 30-60 minute jaunts out with my 2-year old daughter in a child seat at the back - when she's onboard, we don't go very fast so we don't go very far.

mahaca1

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2008
Madrid, Spain
I'm a half commuter, only when I return home, I cycle 20 km (12,5 miles), but using a traditional bike, dahon mu p8, that's the trick, it's a folding bike that travels with me by train in the morning. But now I'm looking for a pedelec so I can go and return by bike (25 miles every day).

Last edited:

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
8 mile a day round trip commute 3-4 days a week. Regular w/end round trip of 18 miles.

cogs

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2008
i've done 17 miles today, varied terrain. i use the bike (a Thorn Raven with alien 36v) for exercise purposes to try and maintain aerobic cardiovascular fitness, so use it almost daily, with 15 miles being my minimum. Most i've done is about 28 miles - which seems to be about the batteries limit..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Mostly only short trips these days, but I've done three battery jaunts into the countryside of up to 60 miles. With those I could in theory reach 100 miles on my current Q bike, but I don't have three working batteries any more and this last summer's weather wasn't very suitable either.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Just under 6 miles per day, 5 days per week mostly up very steep hills. I take the Agattu out at weekends when the wife and daughter allows me and do about 20 miles generally on the flat ( tow paths etc).

BW
musicbooks

Rod Tibbs

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2008
I do occasional eight mile trips into the nearest town and back, but mainly I bike for pleasure and look to do between 14 to 18 miles. I do tend to be influenced by the weather so when it is fine I probably go out two or three times a week. I don't mind low temperatures but I tend to stay in when it is wet.

Rod

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
I don't mind low temperatures but I tend to stay in when it is wet.

Rod
Get yourself some decent waterproofs and the weather is your oyster.. I find it is great riding in the rain when I'm completely watertight.. Riding past, smug as a bug, all the poor sods in their sodden suits and broken umbrellas.. great stuff:D

BW
musicbooks

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Bishop's Stortord to Hackney and back

Until two weeks ago I was travelling a 60 mile round trip every two days - drive in, cycle back, cycle in, drive back, before the 5amp fuse saga. I will pick my bike up from CyclePoint next wekend and then back to the routine.
By bike I travel the 30 miles into work on two batteries at full assist but working hard ar 20 mph and get to work in 1 hr 40 mins. I can do the same journey (except by motorway) in the morning in 1 hour 10 mins at best and 1 1/2 hrs in heavy trafffic.
I hope to cycle the full 60 miles each day by Xmas but weather may "drive" me back to the car

Conal

BrizzleBoy

Pedelecer
Oct 22, 2007
Bristol
18 miles round trip commute 5 days a week.

I look on my wisper as a workhorse but will use it for leisure at weekends if we ever get a summer again.

C

Cyclezee

Not far enough is my reply.
My journey to work is 38 Miles door to door and I start work at 6.45 am, 4 days per week, soon to be 5 days per week. No way would I attempt that journey on a bike, even in the summer. I also need my car occasionally when I am at work, so a bike is not practical for this purpose.

If I worked say within 10 miles of home, I would love to commute by bike.
20 years ago I used to have a 12 mile commute and did that on a conventional bike

I use my bike for recreation and shopping and on average do about 50 miles per week.

My son however, who is not a car owner, does an 18 mile round trip 5 days per week on an Agattu in all weather conditions and has saved a lot of money on public transport fares.

J:) hn

Last edited by a moderator:

halflife

Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2008
18 miles round trip commute 5 days a week.

I look on my wisper as a workhorse but will use it for leisure at weekends if we ever get a summer again.
Same here, 18mile round trip most days with quite a few hills thrown in. Longest trip so far has been when I was on holiday. 43 miles on single charge. Plenty of pedaling though.:D

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Almost exclusively used for commuting. 4 days a week most weeks, but on some days I do need a car at work for long trips. Commute to three different sites on those days, one 18.2 mile round trip, one 19.4 miles and the last 20.6 miles. All of them are very hilly (lots of steep ups and downs in both directions). I use a Wisper 905se. Never run the battery completely flat, longest non stop run 24 miles.

Phil.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Get yourself some decent waterproofs and the weather is your oyster.. I find it is great riding in the rain when I'm completely watertight.. Riding past, smug as a bug, all the poor sods in their sodden suits and broken umbrellas.. great stuff:D

BW
musicbooks
Mind me asking what you have that actually keeps you dry in the rain?

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Cycle for leisure and fitness (medically diagnosed as in heart failure).
Live on site (less than 100 yards to work) so can’t commute :(
Use bike for shopping (trailer for big loads) to save fuel.
From November to April my ebike is my only mode of transport – apart from wife’s car – my campervan SORN’ed and parked in garden.
At weekends try to cycle as much as possible.
Ranges from 20 to 50 miles per week.