How fast do you go downhills

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I hadn't realised until looking a few moments ago, that my fastest downhill speed off road was 27.3mph. It was at the Wiggle off road event a couple of weeks ago, and I can recall exactly which greasy wet hill that it was. The reason that I remember it, was because I couldn't slow down and was just hanging on for dear life. :D

I don't have an issue with trying to go fast on the road on the bike, especially if there happens to be a yellow box with camera sitting in it, but I'm always very wary at night time, as we seem to have an endless amount of deer that leap out from nowhere. Hitting a deer is the one thing that scares the crap out of me.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
The classic method for controlling speed down hill is not to brake steadily all the time, but brake more heavily in bursts.

So you let the bike go to as fast as you are comfortable with, brake to well under that speed, then let the bike go again and repeat as often as needed.

I believe this method is less likely to overheat the brakes and reduces fade.
But not as much fun as waiting till the last possible minute before anchoring on..

Reactions: Jimod

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Last week I did 43 mph downhill in a 30 mph limit. The Kudos Typhoon is quite freewheeling. Many times when I leave my village in the opposite direction I get 40mph down through the 60mph limit road on my Kudos Tourer. Tomorrow, now that you've made me think of it I'll see what the Typhoon does down there. There's a right angled bend at the bottom as it crosses the canal. I'll not be braking as much as I'll be praying as I near that bend. If I live, I'll post the speed up.
Crazy? Me? Probably. ;)

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Ok, I went out today and I'm still alive. I didn't beat my time as the wind was blowing uphill. Tomorrow is another day.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Hitting a deer is the one thing that scares the crap out of me.
That reminds me of the long running Woody Alan gag of doing in a moose and having to strap it to the front fender. I can picture the cartoon of a deer on the front of your bike, but don't have the skill to draw it. Pity.

Reactions: EddiePJ

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
47 mph on a steep hill. Almost time for new underware

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
My maximum speed has been 43mph I think, my bike actually seems pretty solid at this speed.
I would love to be a member of the 50mph club but have no suitable hills where I live.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
We've already had that when the unofficial pedelecs 50+ club was formed, mph not years.
Oh dear Flecc
I appear to have double membership
50 years old and a dodgy cat eye speedo that claims 54mph.

I may not make it to 60 though

Reactions: flecc

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
40mph max. My 20" dahon or 16" brompton can't be stable any faster than that :(

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Just topped 51 mph the other day. We have big hills round here in North Devon. You have to tuck down low to go faster than about 35 mph. Still seems pretty stable on the Sahel Compact. Good brakes also gives some confidence. On my Brompton, slower speeds seem much quicker and the brakes are rubbish so it's much scarier.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
We've already had that when the unofficial pedelecs 50+ club was formed, mph not years.
Bugger, for a minuet there I thought there was a club I could join at 52 years :)

Last week I managed 43 mph on my non assisted Trek hybrid down Hazelbeach hill, gated road, no junctions & I can see 1/2 mile of road ahead of me.
Preparation. Turn my baseball cap backwards and make sure my cargo is stowed well in my shorts (I don't want any chaffing with my legs spinning so fast ;) )
I know of one hill that would be faster if it wasn't for the sunken cattle grid near the bottom :mad:

Off subject, that was a 34 mile ride an well past my arthritis comfort zone so I'm eagerly awaiting my new Cube 29er so I can some miles under my belt ( on & off road )
6 days to go:p

Reactions: rippedupno1

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I hadn't realised until looking a few moments ago, that my fastest downhill speed off road was 27.3mph. It was at the Wiggle off road event a couple of weeks ago, and I can recall exactly which greasy wet hill that it was. The reason that I remember it, was because I couldn't slow down and was just hanging on for dear life. :D
Things have already changed in the space of just a few weeks. According to todays Wiggle event, my fastest time off road is now 35.1mph. The conditions were very wet, but my riding felt 'almost' controlled, and a hell of a lot smoother. :)

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/wiggle-ups-and-downs-april-26th-2014.17387/#post-216644