How fast is your bike?

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
oh dear! faster than yours then indalo?. the question was asked and i answered. i never said if it was on or of road you jumped to that conclusion. if you must know i have as i said only tried it once, and being a senior citizen, and having an incurable lung complaint will probably never be as fit as the younger members , i no longer strive for speed. it is simply that i can no longer put the effort in that one needs for accelerating and hill climbing. also dont forget e bike riders regularly exeed the speed limit for powered bikes.you to can reach those speeds powered or not on a long downhill, who would you be impressing in those circumstances ?
In that case, as a self-build job, you could have restricted the machine to ensure compliance with the regulations but you chose not to. It's the likes of you who will bring about more stringent legislation for the rest of us through your wilful defiance of the law, compounded by your public boasting about the fact.

I am happy to presume your illegal machine does not comply with legislation unless you can prove otherwise but I don't particularly care about that. My difficulty with people like you is that there are legal methods by which you can achieve the kind of speeds you like to boast about. Mopeds and other light, internal combustion powered bikes are readily available. That unpowered bicycles can be ridden to speeds much higher than the maximum powered limit of ebikes is neither here nor there. They are legal; yours is not when on public roads!

Perhaps we should just ignore all laws, rules and legislation? My guess is that those cretins who boast about their illegal machines or advocate the "live and let live" philosophy on here would be the first to run to the police for assistance if some nasty person chose to break another law which affected a family member for example.

Regards,
Indalo

theskip1

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2010
sm6
gosh renaldo i'm dazzeled by your blond hair blue eyes and white suit. let us prey. we seem to be in the presance of the second cuming. or is it just a mealy mouthed self justified bigot standing on his soapbox spouting hypocritical " im a good boy i am " semons.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

please play NICE This Is turning into a slanging match :mad:

Not Very helpful

This forum is about Helping other E bikers with information And it is very good at this

By the way another bright and sunny day for E biking ;)

Lets all get out there and ENJOY

Frank :cool:

C

Cyclezee

When I was at Presteigne recently, I hit 44mph downhill on my Forza. That was way fast enough for me, particularly on unfamiliar wet and narrow country roads with occasional stray sheep to contend with:eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When I was at Presteigne recently, I hit 44mph downhill on my Forza. That was way fast enough for me, particularly on unfamiliar wet and narrow country roads with occasional stray sheep to contend with:eek:
If you are going to hit a sheep, make sure it's before it's sheared.

And we haven't had a Safety helmet debate here for 2 weeks or so
That way you won't need a helmet. :D

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
gosh renaldo i'm dazzeled by your blond hair blue eyes and white suit. let us prey. we seem to be in the presance of the second cuming. or is it just a mealy mouthed self justified bigot standing on his soapbox spouting hypocritical " im a good boy i am " semons.
It's not about being full of self righteousness, it is about being a responsible and intelligent person. If you want to break the law, that's your decision, but please don't show off by publicising how fast you can go on your bicycle. This may come as a surprise, but there are other people who enjoy Ebikes apart from you. Your irresposible actions will have consequences for other people and to dismiss or insult the people who you will effect is just plain wrong. Try to think about others and what you are doing.

Just out of interest, what am I supposed to be thinking about these speedy cyclists? What is their motivation for posting about their, "achievements"? Are we supposed to revere them as lantern-jawed marvellous human beings who selflessly risk their own lives to push the boundaries of bicycle technology? If you ask me, I think they are a bunch of under-achieving grey tossers who should be astride a moped.

Ps it's Pray, not prey. Prey is one who falls victim to a predator. Like a mouse being eaten by a wise owl.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm really enjoying this thread, it's so refreshing when it's others getting attacked for a change. ;)

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Pipe down Flecc or I'll beat you with my opinion!

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
No doubt your turn will come around again flecc but I don't mind taking the flak for a bit. It's not easy to remain a pillar (some may say pillock!) of rectitude but I try.

I hope you're at the stage where you can do some easy miles on your bike again although the wind today is a little on the strong side. Unfortunately, I'm neither cycling nor driving for a few more days following a little procedure I had done last Thursday.

Regards,
Indalo

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm quite sure it will Indalo, there'll no doubt be an attacker lurking in the wings right now, waiting for an opportunity to pounce!

I'm back into 100% well now and into all activities, thank you for asking. I hope you quickly recover fully following that procedure.

C

Cyclezee

If you are going to hit a sheep, make sure it's before it's sheared.

That way you won't need a helmet. :D
I think the sheep would have come off worst, it wasn't wearing a helmet:p

Anyway, I won't be doing that sort of speed again, it was reckless and foolish:eek:

theskip1

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2010
sm6
It's not about being full of self righteousness, it is about being a responsible and intelligent person. If you want to break the law, that's your decision, but please don't show off by publicising how fast you can go on your bicycle. This may come as a surprise, but there are other people who enjoy Ebikes apart from you. Your irresposible actions will have consequences for other people and to dismiss or insult the people who you will effect is just plain wrong. Try to think about others and what you are doing.

Just out of interest, what am I supposed to be thinking about these speedy cyclists? What is their motivation for posting about their, "achievements"? Are we supposed to revere them as lantern-jawed marvellous human beings who selflessly risk their own lives to push the boundaries of bicycle technology? If you ask me, I think they are a bunch of under-achieving grey tossers who should be astride a moped.

Ps it's Pray, not prey. Prey is one who falls victim to a predator. Like a mouse being eaten by a wise owl.
in that case i spelt it right!. so because i cannot peddle without getting out of breath you say i am not allowed to experience the joy of riding a bike and condemn me to riding a smelly moped which i have to pay tax,insurance,mot,and petrol not be able to park where i like use bus lanes shared walkways etc. i think its a case of i'm alright jack and dont rock the boat. well you may be satisfied with the law as it is but i certainly am not and i would stand up in court to say so. if people like you got your way no law would ever be changed or repealed and no one would stand up to say that it should be. (by the way you spelt irresponsible wrong )if your lucky enough to be fit and healthy and can manage with a 200w motor perhaps you should question wether you need any asistance at all.

Last edited:

peasjam

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Technically the top speed of mine is zero, since it's waiting for a new BMS... however it will be capable of more than 15mph.

Personally I think the debate in terms of pure legality is missing the point. It is perfectly possible to ride dangerously on a restricted e-bike and indeed on a purely leg-powered bike. An unrestricted kit isn't inherently dangerous or irresponsible, it's how it's ridden.

As someone who (a) has a decent lightweight bike and (b)is fortunate enough to be fit enough I can comfortably ride well above the 15mph under my own steam with the exception of a sustained heavy headwind. Therefore, a standard kit has nothing to offer except extra weight... so really what options are there on an e-bike build. People say "well get a scooter" but really it's like someone saying "have an orange" when I'd really like an apple.

I do accept the argument based around causing grief and, perhaps, more legislation for 'regular' users. I wouldn't want to see that happen. Perhaps there should be a two-tier classification. For example I'd happily pay for insurance if it were required for a quicker version. Fact is, 15mph on any kind of decent leg-powered push bike is actually pretty slow...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
no law would ever be changed or repealed and no one would stand up to say that it should be.
In respect of law breaking, this is something I've raised previously. Criminals are important members of society since they test the imperfectly made laws of man, enabling them to be refined and improved.

This is a well established argument in academic criminological circles.

So those of you who favour more lax regulation and prematurely act upon that by breaking laws may be doing society a service. Ultimately the decision of whether that is so belongs to the recognised governing authority though, and the law breakers cannot say they are right until that has been officially conceded.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I always think the 15mph is a little slow for one the road and feel alot safer when hitting the 20mph barrier.
This is what I can comfortably ride on a flat. So when riding a legal ebike it always feel a bit slow compared to what I can actually ride at.

However going up a hill which is where the term assist is. Helps alot with maintaining a decent speed.

Again its all depends on how the assist systems used. Built up area's with foot pedestrains at 15mph can be very dangerous. Like previous posts suggest's its the rider that makes all the difference.

As there is no formal training or regulations on cycles you could hardly let someone with no road sense out loose on anything quicker than what you can physically pedal.

(Although with a bit of luck natural selection should have taken those moron's out a long time ago.)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
in that case i spelt it right!. so because i cannot peddle without getting out of breath you say i am not allowed to experience the joy of riding a bike and condemn me to riding a smelly moped which i have to pay tax,insurance,mot,and petrol not be able to park where i like use bus lanes shared walkways etc. i think its a case of i'm alright jack and dont rock the boat. well you may be satisfied with the law as it is but i certainly am not and i would stand up in court to say so. if people like you got your way no law would ever be changed or repealed and no one would stand up to say that it should be. (by the way you spelt irresponsible wrong )if your lucky enough to be fit and healthy and can manage with a 200w motor perhaps you should question wether you need any asistance at all.

You can still get around on a legally assisted bike regardless of your ability to pedal, its just a case of choosing the bike which suits your circumstances. To suggest that anyone is attempting to deny you the pleasure of riding a bike is ridiculous.

No one is trying to condemn you to a moped either. It is a legal option if you want to travel at speeds beyond 15 mph on two wheels.

You raise an interesting point about wanting to use shared walkways. I take it that you mean you would like to ride selfishly, where pedestrians are, exposing them to any hazard posed by your illegal bike. Your uninsured illegal bike. Your bike that has not undergone any type approval or safety testing. All of this for your own personal convenience. There is a word for people with this sort of attitude. Despicable.

i think its a case of i'm alright jack and dont rock the boat. well you may be satisfied with the law as it is but i certainly am not and i would stand up in court to say so
Now this has serious comedy value. It was meant as a joke? Please say that it was, if not and there are others like you, we are in serious trouble.

This argument is a bit like a burglar saying that the law should be changed to allow him and others like him to enter people's houses to nick things whenever the need arrises. And if anyone objects to this, they posses an, I'm alright jack attitude.

I think you may be a bit of a nutcase.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
This argument is a bit like a burglar saying that the law should be changed to allow him and others like him to enter people's houses to nick things whenever the need arrises. And if anyone objects to this, they posses an, I'm alright jack attitude.
That analogy is just as stupid.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
That analogy is just as stupid.

It was an extreme example of a law breaker wanting the law changed to accommodate his law breaking activities. This is exactly what theskip1 was suggesting should happen.

I've just noticed your signature:

Rear 350w Bafang BPM code 12, 20amp controller Or
Front 250w Bafang motor, 13amp controller
36v9ah Panansonic battery fitted to marin kentfield fs (21Kg Total Build +1.2kg for BPM)

Whooo, I'm impressed.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
If you all can't discuss this issue without resorting to ad hominem attacks this thread will be closed and a few "holidays" from the forum will be handed out.