How long do Kalkhoff take to replace engines?

Colin Tate

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2015
My Kalkhoff needs its impulse II motor replaced. Has anyone been through this and, if so, how long did the process take?

I have to say that I'm going off Kalkhoff. My motor has a clicking sound with every rotation of the pedals and the local Kalkhoff servicers (who have been good) say they need to send it off. Kalkhoff haven't even collected the motor yet, despite the shop having it ready about 10 days ago. So by the time they do collect it, exam it, repair it or change it, I have a feeling I'll be without my bike for some time.

My engine is under 3 years old. I don't think that's long enough for an motor to last really but the 3 year warranty didn't kick in until bikes that were manufactured slightly later than mine.

I had been considering a new bike and was looking at another Kalkhoff but am beginning to re-think that idea.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I had been considering a new bike and was looking at another Kalkhoff but am beginning to re-think that idea.
The bikes are ok, but you need to avoid the troublesome Impulse units, particularly the Impulse 2, and possibly its successor, the Evo.

Kalkhoffs are also made with Bosch units and have used other motors that are generally ok.

Colin Tate

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2015
The bikes are ok, but you need to avoid the troublesome Impulse units, particularly the Impulse 2, and possibly its successor, the Evo.

Kalkhoffs are also made with Bosch units and have used other motors that are generally ok.
BUT. Is Bosch better? Would be interested to know.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
BUT. Is Bosch better? Would be interested to know.
Definitely very much better than the Impulse 2 units, but they have had the odd faults. That's true across the board for crank motor units though, the best reliability now is with quality hub motors like the Bafang ones. That's the reverse of the situation well over a decade ago.

Colin Tate

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2015
Definitely very much better than the Impulse 2 units, but they have had the odd faults. That's true across the board for crank motor units though, the best reliability now is with quality hub motors like the Bafang ones. That's the reverse of the situation well over a decade ago.
Oh I see. Which bikes have those motors?

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Most of Bosch failures have been with MTB CX drive bearings from water ingress. More of issue on MTBs because they ride in mud and need to be washed regularly. New upgraded seal on later motors should help lot especially if maintained.

Shouldn't issue on bikes that do mainly road riding.