How long do you expect an ebike to last before needing replacement?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Can we examine the word "ugrade" which may have different meaning to different people.. For example some might upgrade a PC by replacing internal components with newer faster ones, whereas I consider upgrading my PC to scrapping it and buying a new one. Same with my e-bikes where an "upgrade" for me would be to purchase a newer model with the associated improvements that come with it, but I do know that others would and do upgrade their bikes by replacing outdated components but keeping the same bike.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A further indication of progress using that Ezee Quando mentioned in my above post. The model was introduced in 2004 with this NiMh battery:

36 volt, 9 Ah, weight 4 kilos

The first Lithium replacement batteries for it were poor, but in early 2008 this much better lithium battery was introduced:

36 volt, 14 Ah, weight 2.5 kilos

So over four years a 56% capacity increase with 38% weight reduction, making a battery change well worth while.

• Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Can we examine the word "ugrade" which may have different meaning to different people.. For example some might upgrade a PC by replacing internal components with newer faster ones, whereas I consider upgrading my PC to scrapping it and buying a new one. Same with my e-bikes where an "upgrade" for me would be to purchase a newer model with the associated improvements that come with it, but I do know that others would and do upgrade their bikes by replacing outdated components but keeping the same bike.
Maybe:

Upgrade model means changing the bike.

Upgrade bike means modifying it with better parts.

• Useful

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My PC is in the same case since about the year 2000... :)

• Informative

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Upgrade system... Replacing a system with a different version.
System upgrade... Replacing component parts...

This is my grandfather's shovel, mind you my father replaced the handle on a few occasions and I replaced the head because it rusted....

D

Deleted member 4366

Exactly what 'tech' moves on?
Serious question because as far as I can see, controllers seem to answer the needs, motors are 19th century tech and it is just batteries that keep improving, but is a 2018 battery all that better than a 2012 battery?
Controllers are improving. I guess you don't have a sine-wave one with current control, otherwise you'd know that. It would be worth upgrading your Tonaro one because current control is much better for crank motors. Batteries are now a lot lighter for the same capacity compared with 2012.

D

Deleted member 4366

It will be interesting to see whether that continues or if we have picked all the low hanging fruit.
There's massive developments in electric bikes coming. The low-hanging fruit haven't ripened yet.
This one is available today at 19kg. Expect to see more like it with even less weight and more battery capacity.

Three years ago, 22kg was a good weight for an ebike.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I would expect that neither of my bikes are upgradable in that the electronics, motor and battery are specific to the bike and not intetchangable with newer versions. My giant display is only in km yet the newer ones can be changed to mph but the tech people say they are not interchangable.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can retro fit different motors to the frame if you can get custom mounts made.

Ducknald Don

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2017
Oxfordshire
There's massive developments in electric bikes coming. The low-hanging fruit haven't ripened yet.
This one is available today at 19kg. Expect to see more like it with even less weight and more battery capacity.

Three years ago, 22kg was a good weight for an ebike.
I was talking about battery technology rather than anything else.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Do brushless motors wear out over the years,do the magnets inside them become weaker with constant use,i know a lot of heavy use can cause them to run hot and cause damage so i`m asking about normal usage.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Do brushless motors wear out over the years,do the magnets inside them become weaker with constant use,i know a lot of heavy use can cause them to run hot and cause damage so i`m asking about normal usage.
Only the bearings. I've never managed to harm mine through heat, despite very heavy prolonged slogging at times.

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Hello,

Thank you all for the replies ... very interesting.

The questions comes from my own situation. I am looking at an e-bike for commuting and general recreation usage. Due to the distance I am think an e-bike would be great - waft in without sweating plus not need to feast on bananas and high energy for the ride home after a hard day.

So I am researching bikes. Like all product there is often the cheap, medium and expensive option for models. The expensive has better shocks, motor, drivetrain etc. The price difference between the cheap and expensive is nearly £1k.

Now I don't mind spending to get a good quality product so I am thinking budget for the more expensive as it has better components and will be a single expensive purchase once then I can reap the reward for many years.

... but just how many years exactly...

Frame will be fine, but motor may not have parts (warranty is 2 years) electronics might break so lets assume problems happen in the future (things break and wear out).

I can forsee a situation wherby the e-bike part breaks (most likely) and is either

1. unable to get parts
2. too expensive to repair
3. able to repair for reasonable-ish cost but new bikes are so much more advanced for same price makes sense just to scrap for parts and go with entirely new

So spending more on expensive bike was a mistake as now whole bike is scraped. Frame is specifically designed to take particular motor so unless welding how hard would it be to convert to modern drive train?

Now, it may be that a whole after market of specalists appear on the bike ecosystem keeping old machine going (motor rebuild, battery cell refurbs, controller repairs etc) but this is not guaranteed.

Contrast with traditional bike - people are notorously pulling old barn finds out from years ago and spending a couple of pounds puting them back on the road.

Essentially is an ebike a throw away item that should be budged for a replacement every so many years? Does this then lead to rental agreements for e-bikes similar to cars.

I was interested in hearing what others thought and if people had kept old machines running. It appears they have but I am still not sure which decision to make for myself - if I was buying another traditional bike I would stretch finances as I know the product would still be in use probably decades later.

Many thanks,

Reactions: nemesis

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Perhaps you are looking at this from the wrong side.. A really good bike that you like can be converted to an e-bike . Bike conversions are much nicer these days so are not necessarily a hodgepodge of cable ties and sticky outy cables so it worth considering, especially as once along this path upgrades and repairs should be fairly simple.