Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I've just seen a monkey with a pair of wings

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Empty roads everywhere and no restriction, that was real freedom.
In this world of speed cameras there is still little legal restriction, you are unlucky or more likely unobservant if you get caught.
I found motorbikes were more restricted by all the extra road furniture going up, so I bought a supermoto and used to go offroad on the way to work across old byways and fields. Unfortunately then the government closed most green lanes to motorbikes so that bit of fun had gone.
Now I get some of those kicks out of the Wisper as I can legally go on traffic free off road routes that allow me to push the performance envelope without hitting a lamppost or delivery van.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In this world of speed cameras there is still little legal restriction, you are unlucky or more likely unobservant if you get caught.
True, and I never was caught through being observant, but today's South East roads just don't compare from the freedom point of view, especially south of London where I am. Clogged up traffic everywhere when the weather is decent means progress even on a fast bike is in fits and starts and that just gets boring after a while.

The problem cameras in the future are going to be the average speed pairs, timing over a stretch of road, they'll really enforce a boring ride.

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
The problem cameras in the future are going to be the average speed pairs, timing over a stretch of road, they'll really enforce a boring ride.
This is entirely true, though at the moment the average speed cameras are all front facing and therefore can be ignored with a big grin. :D

Equally, except for the very latest ones, they are lane specific so even a car can avoid them by the simple expedient of changing lanes.

Still, it is only a matter of time now . . . . !

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
I don't ever consider myself a 'biker' actually...more of a car driver that has two motorbikes for fun. In fact i also have cars for fun.
However you'll probably want to know more about the bikes than the cars.
1979 Kawasaki Z650 and a 1996 Suzuki 1200 GSF Bandit.
The Suzuki ran a 1/4 mile standing start in 11.4 secs @ 118mph with me hanging onto it......
And the Z650 sits unloved in my fathers garage. I really don't think i will ever get back riding the Suzuki again. At the age of 51 i am already thinking i'm too old for such a powerful machine. But the Z650 i will restore sometime in the future and maybe get back to riding it (just for fun on a sunny day).

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
They're all great, bikes, e-bikes and motorbikes, it's the two wheels that makes them so very special, not the "horses" within. :)
Hear hear!

There's just something special about the freedom and exposure of being on two wheels :) . It's also true that there is a great community spirit between motorcylists, they will almost always stop and ask if you need help if you're looking stuck! I'm afraid that's not generally my experience of car drivers (well not nowadays) and I regret to say not of cyclists either. In general I found passing cyclists to be the least helpful, usually just passing some 'smart' comment and whizzing by. I do hope that my experiences here are just isolated to my own area, but my son (keen cyclist and motorcyclist) tells they are not. In fact since he's started to spend a lot of time on his motorbike he's found that cyclists in general appear to be more anti-motorcyling than anyone. Whilst my own experiences mirror that, I don't understand why? Shouldn't be the case if this forum is anything to go by, BUT I believe this forum partly came about because of the negative attitudes of 'the lycras' to e-bikes on the regular cycling forums.
If so it's short sighted, self destructive and just plain daft. Hope they reform :eek: .

Phil

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In general I found passing cyclists to be the least helpful, usually just passing some 'smart' comment and whizzing by.
Fortunately not my experience in my area. I've stopped and helped others on several occasions over the years, and when I've paused by the roadside for any reason I've also had others slowing down alongside to check if all was well. That's included the really keen lycra types in training when I've been on my obviously electric Q bike, so I've nothing but praise for their positive attitude.

my son (keen cyclist and motorcyclist) tells they are not. In fact since he's started to spend a lot of time on his motorbike he's found that cyclists in general appear to be more anti-motorcyling than anyone.

Phil
A minority of motorcyclists could be to blame for this Phil. On a few occasions I've had one "buzz" me at high speed when I'm on my bikes, very dangerous leaving no room for avoiding potholes etc. That only has to happen a couple of times for someone to get really angry about motorcyclists in general.

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
flecc posted:
.... On a few occasions I've had one "buzz" me at high speed when I'm on my bikes, very dangerous leaving no room for avoiding potholes etc ....

Those sort of idiots everyone can do without.
If the speeding idiots are lucky they'll get caught and banned.

We used to like going on the big motorcycle runs but now a days it's full of idiots who just want to race each other. We don't bother with them any more. Much prefer to go off for a ride on our own, taking our time.

But even then we are not safe from race-boys. We've had idiots pass us on the VN. Too many times have we been cruising along a nice A road 40-50mph. Enjoying the ride out and taking in the view (love the coast roads) and the lovely sweeping corners. Then from nowhere pops race-boy who screams past. Many a time they’ve gone past so fast that you know if anything out of the ordinary happened, we would probably need counselling having witnessed their decapitation, amputation or disembowelment.

Some people are so stupid it defies belief.

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Hi Flecc, Footie,

Whilst I do agree that the actions of a few idiots can spoil it for others and I too know what you mean about some bikers, I've obviously seen them acting like brainless idiots as well - nothing but condemnation for them. Never the less I have detected a hostility towards motorbikes and ebikers in general, which seems to be reflected by some of their more vocal groups. In the London area they have been very quick to oppose things like waiving the congestion charges for PTW's, using of bus lanes etc. Also on my visits to London I've noticed (and nobody will convince me otherwise) cyclists acting like total lunatics (whizzing the wrong way up the middle of one way streets, cutting across busy pavements and up/down steps etc) with no regard for pedestrians or other road users. It cuts both ways. No side is entirely innocent or guilty, so it makes no sense for one group to single out the other for punitive legislation just to avenge a grudge.
We've seen extensive legislation brought against the trail riders. All the TRF members I've ever known have acted responsibly and behaved very well on dirt trails (many of which would be impassable if it wasn't for them and will probably disappear now they've stopped). Irresponsible riders did exist, for sure, but all the ones I ever came across were already acting illegally - all that was needed was enforcement - not more laws. The Kill joys with a chip on their shoulder got their way - so there goes another enjoyable pastime - unnecessarily. Please lets not let this sort of behaviour kill off motorcycling / ebiking. Don't laugh - it COULD happen you wait to the first well publicised ebiker misdemeanour (one day it will happen).

Phil

dazzie

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2008
I've never had anyone stop to offer help when I've broken down in a car but another biker has stopped to help almost every time I have broken down whilst riding (rode a two stroke 125 for three years that holed it's piston more times than I care to remember!). Says it all really.

From this, along with the bad neck I get from exchanging nods with most bikers going the other way (!), I'd say biker camaraderie is still strong.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Never the less I have detected a hostility towards motorbikes and ebikers in general, which seems to be reflected by some of their more vocal groups. In the London area they have been very quick to oppose things like waiving the congestion charges for PTW's, using of bus lanes etc. Also on my visits to London I've noticed (and nobody will convince me otherwise) cyclists acting like total lunatics (whizzing the wrong way up the middle of one way streets, cutting across busy pavements and up/down steps etc) with no regard for pedestrians or other road users.

Phil
No question of the truth of both points Phil. There's a crucial difference though where government is concerned, cycling is generally and often vigorously encouraged, and government attitudes can influence others, cycling still seen as fairly benign, though seen as demeaning by some.

By contrast motorcycling has been widely seen as a menace for very many years. The very high death rate is one reason, the often justified perception of lawlessness being another, and the Hells Angels haven't exactly helped that image. I could also mention the gatherings of large groups of bikers to indulge in stunting on public roads, wheelies, stoppies etc. Add to those the shock factor of bikers passing close at a huge speed differential and general feelings become more understood. It doesn't matter that those are often unjustified views, they are held and stubbornly unshakeable.

When a teenager mentions his ambition to own a car there's no problem, but any mention of having a motorcycle and parents start throwing fits. We know that a high proportion of young drivers kill and seriously injure both themselves and many others in cars, often four or more hurt or killed per crash, while on motorcycles it's usually only themselves that get hurt, but rational thought doesn't come into it.

The unmoveable view is cars desirable, motorbikes bad, and its been like this for the whole of my life.

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Some years ago the government's Road Research Laboratory were asked to suggest what the one single biggest improvement to road safety would be.

Their answer was, putting the car driver in a separate compartment, London taxi style.

Apparently there's a huge difference between the accident rate of cars with driver only and those with passengers.

I'm not at all surprised. The amount of times I've pointed out the potential accident we're heading for while my other half is driving n yakking is really not funny.

nin26

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2008
Poole, BH16
I could also mention the gatherings of large groups of bikers to indulge in stunting on public roads, wheelies, stoppies etc.

Interestingly, Poole holds one of the biggest organised biker meets every Tuesday night all through the summer season. The entire quay is closed to all other traffic and thousands of bikers travel from miles around to show off their pride and joy. Each one pays a pound to park on the quay. It raises as enormous amount of revenue for the town, as well as being a big tourist attraction with even more thousands of people visiting the town to admire all the beautifully fettled machines. There are awards for the "Bike of the night" and all the shops along the quay open late to take advantage of the huge numbers of people passing. One of the hotels holds barbeques outside and the pubs have special bike night menus. The police presence on the quay itself is limited - the bike night has been going on for decades and I've never known the bikers to be anything other than good-natured and well-behaved.

Most of the coppers spend their Tuesday evening parked up in vans on the major roads around Poole with speed cameras instead .... I suspect that their legendary unfailing presence means that they don't do as well out of speeding fines as they might if they took the night off occasionally!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Events like that will certainly be received differently and enjoyed by the public at large. Being official makes it feel safe and well regulated.

It's the impromptu unregulated gatherings at public road locations with unexpected behaviours that alarm many and which cause the offence.

nin26

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2008
Poole, BH16
It started off as an unofficial meet - it only became official when Poole council threatened to put a stop to it. The local businesses complained about the loss of revenue if the council went through with it, so it was allowed on the proviso that the bikers paid to park!

Broadbeans

Pedelecer
May 21, 2008
A couple of months ago I broke down, phoneless, in the middle of nowhere on my old BSA Goldflash plunger. Not a car in sight, but what d'you think was the next vehicle to come along? An Ariel combination! The chap towed me slowly to his house and fed me on coffee and butties whilst I waited for the breakdown! Magic! Johnny

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Adly Scooter - Latest purchase Nov08, Twist and Go 125cc – Just got it and waiting to get it on the road.
Adly Scooter pasted its MOT yesterday, so its on the road - we are now a two motorcycle household. I wonder how long it will be before the wife starts making undertones about trying to take her bike licence again ;)

I remember stopping one night on the Suzuki A100 for a couple broke-down on the big dipper near Blackwater. This was pre-mobiles - early 80's. This could be a lonely road back then. It was nothing to ride it late at night and not see anything else on the road. I think the bike was a big Triumph painted matt black. It was pitch black and I nearly collided with the woman, as she was standing in the middle of the road, in black leathers. Spent 30 minutes shining my headlight on the bike so the chap could fix it.

technobear

Just Joined
Oct 14, 2008
Somerset
Another biker here :cool:

Honda CBF500. Still not yet an ebike owner but working on it. Once the weather warms up a bit I'll start looking again. Quite fancy a Citronex.

Living in Glastonbury, everywhere else is 20 miles away so I need a bike that allows me to carry more than one battery. I'd like one that can do more than 15mph too but I guess it won't be legal then. What we need is a bike with an on-road/off-road switch such that's it legal when set to on-road and can do 25mph when set to off-road. When a copper pulls you over (has anyone ever been pulled over on a cycle?) you just flip the switch to on-road and voila! :D

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
I'm a biker too although I sold my last bike (2004 Kawasaki Z1000) when I got disqualified along with my car. Looking for a Moto Guzzi Cali at the moment, probably about 1992 with the two tone blue metallic and white paint.. lovverly :)