How many electric bikes do you see out on the roads?

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Shanghai

I'll be updating the blog with what I saw on the streets of Shanghai. Electric bikes of all shapes and sizes were one of the most popular ways to get around, whatever the weather.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
if institutions e.g. educational (universities etc.), businesses, even the post office were (encouraged) to institute electric bike usage among their members, then they (bikes) may become more popular
Yes, that would be good, and maybe the organisations could buy them and rent them at minimal cost to employees, neatly circumventing the capital cost of entry which puts many off trying.

but saw a non-electric bike the other day with a nice trailer :)
You have to be careful about saying this! There's one trailer which optionally comes with an inboard Currie motor on the righthand wheel, the trailer driving the bike, so ears as well as eyes need to be used!

There's yet another, this time a non load-carrying trailer which is the shape of a little egg on two wheels. It contains all the works and battery and is purely a streamlined add on power unit to drive the bike it's attached to. The five minute conversion to electric. :cool:

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Yes, that would be good, and maybe the organisations could buy them and rent them at minimal cost to employees, neatly circumventing the capital cost of entry which puts many off trying..
Yes, I thought financing it would be an issue (maybe a tax-break incentive scheme to aid organisations to buy bikes too?) but a renting, even hire-purchase type scheme would be good for the reason you gave (try before/as you buy!:D ) and your point brings us neatly full circle back to the importance of a presence/availability of some bikes initially - early adopters like members here or even just accesible demo models - as a catalyst to show the benefits of ebikes and encourage wider use...:)

There's one trailer which optionally comes with an inboard Currie motor on the righthand wheel, the trailer driving the bike, so ears as well as eyes need to be used!

There's yet another, this time a non load-carrying trailer which is the shape of a little egg on two wheels.
Hehehe! - you're right! I did wonder if there was a motor there somewhere and it could be as you said, but I only got a fleeting glimpse of the bike and could see no obvious bike motor, nor hear any - the bike passed left to right - right wheel (as you ride) nearest me, no obvious motor was audible & no characteristic currie "buzz". The trailer was not so large so could be towed under legpower, nor was it egg-shaped :D

Useful to know such creatures exist though, and I'll keep my eyes and ears peeled for them in future :)

Stuart.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'll be updating the blog with what I saw on the streets of Shanghai. Electric bikes of all shapes and sizes were one of the most popular ways to get around, whatever the weather.
Thanks Tim, very interesting. Looking forward to the next installment and the bikes in use there.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Stuart, here's the "egg" powered trailer. Made by the Dutch Cab-bike outfit, it's meant for bikes, trikes and velomobiles. Apparently the top half is free for luggage etc. Range is optional according to battery specified, and it costs 1190 euros. It's one wheel of course, not two as I said from memory.

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
come on you lot grimsby cant contain all the electric bikes, just seen a new one outside asda very basic single speed sla in blue and silver with no name on it at all, it looked very smart and tidy. used to see a lady at asda with a push bike and a grey plastic container fitted on top of the back rack this had the same container fitted so i guess she has moved up.
mike;) :D

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
this is getting more like my own personal thread, as i said have already seen a chap on an izip and today a lady on an izip.
mike:D

Baboonking

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Watford
Glad to hear that ebikes are prolifierating in Grimsby:D

In the last year I've seen 3 in Brighton. 1 sakura scooter type thing, that was about 6 months ago. I spotted a teenage girl riding powabyke in burgess hill about 3 months ago. I also saw a really nice looking custom bike parked in London road, Brighton. With solid(non spoked wheels) with a hub motor and 2 chrome "classic car type" guages, one for volts and one for amps. Don't know who it belonged to, I took a photo but then lost the phone. If I remember it had an address in Lancing. never seen an bike quite that nice since.

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
HTML:
2 chrome "classic car type" guages, one for volts and one for amps
i would love a retro speedo but the only one i can find is in the states and it wouldnt fit my powerbyke.
mike

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

Hi mike
you seem a happy powabyke owner well good for you they do seem to get a lot of bad press which i think is unfair there are quite a few about in southampton and the powerbyke dealer is also very helpfull with any problems i did have 2 powabykes and there were not many hills they did refuse as always my 1 real gripe was they were to heavy justn think if it only weighed 20 kilos:D nigel

at221

Pedelecer
Mar 1, 2007
Today I saw a Lafree twist parked outside a bicycle shop near my house. It was the first real ebike i saw in real life.

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
well ive got to get a life :(
just seen a power bike euro the older 5 speed version in silver, i had a good look at it as it passed by, then i thought that was ridden by a blond lady, and to my horror that was all i knew about the rider female and blond, the bike i noticed every detail.
perhaps its just old age:confused:
mike

Carl

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2006
I rode up behind a woman with VERY skimpy shorts on a couple of days ago. Looked at her first of all, then as I rode past I had to look away because it wasn't a pleasant sight - and that was because of HER old age:eek:

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

I cant find any other leccy bikers at the moment i went in to southampton town centre today all i saw was normals even in southampton there few and far between:D today there were young lads on there bmx doing there stunts outside the local library and they didnt even notice my torq which had been double locked untill i started to leave and they shouted at me HEY its one of those electric things:cool: famous at last:)

Flying Kiwi

Pedelecer
Dec 25, 2006
Buckinghamshire
today there were young lads on there bmx doing there stunts outside the local library and they didnt even notice my torq which had been double locked untill i started to leave and they shouted at me HEY its one of those electric things:cool: famous at last:)
I know what you mean, electric bikes do seem to draw the attention of young people - possibly because they're about the only thing they can legally ride with a motor on it at 14. I think the look of a Torq would appeal to youngsters who tend to go for the mountain bike look more so than my Giant Twist.

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

By flying kiwi
I think the look of a Torq would appeal to youngsters who tend to go for the mountain bike look more so than my Giant Twist.

Yes i would agree but at the moment there is not much choice for the 15-25 they need something that looks cool or trendy:D not to heavy and with good power it and a smart bright standout paint job:cool: there still must be a vast untapped market out there with the right product.NIGEL

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
I just spotted a new electric bike shop in Shrewsbury!! Still haven't seen one on the move though (a bike, not a shop) :D

Django

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I just spotted a new electric bike shop in Shrewsbury!! Still haven't seen one on the move though (a bike, not a shop) :D

Django
Yes, I think Alan Terrill mentioned that, most unusual and a welcome step. If only that could become a trend across the UK it would certainly encourage more sales and popularity.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Ebikes in Bath

I saw a Powerbike - pristine condition - locked to a Lamp Post in Bath:
Also a very dirty Torq - covered in a sort of Gypsum or Talcum Powder.
I know there is an eZee Spint 7 there too.
Could not find an eBike in John's Cycles in Walcot Street.
Peter