How many electric trikers are on the forum ?

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
  • I have 2 trikes with light e-assist, unfortunately they are not being ridden at the moment due to health issues, but I hope to get a Bafang BBS01 for the GLR later in the year and them it will become my main ride again :)
My other trike is a Performer CM70 with a hub motor set up as a Stoke Monkey.

We are a niche within a niche so I don't think we will be to numerous :)

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
I've just been asked to build one for the Bradford ReCycle project yesterday! They've a good frame to work from, just need a 20" hub wheel.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
My current avatar shows my Hase Lepus recumbent trike that I've had for about 5 years and I'm just getting round to trying out some assist on it.

I've bought a Q100 328rpm 20" front wheel from BMS, as that would seem to be the simplest and lightest way to achieve moderate assist, up to about 18mph at 36v.

If I ever want more oomph, it looks as though the BB02 would fit nicely on the front boom though, and I would still get all 27 gears of the "mountain drive" because they're achieved via an intermediate shaft under the seat, with the 9 speed cassette, and a 3 speed cluster on the rear half shaft. I'm just a bit concerned at the strain on the 7ft chain with the present BB02 PAS assist lag when changing gear. :)

I'm thinking that the front Q100 250w motor will do quite nicely up to 18mph though, as the Hase is so easy to pedal at 15mph with the low wind resistance.

I'm surprised that you don't hear about more recumbents (bikes and trikes) being assisted, the meagre UK "legal" power ratings would go that much faster with them.

I've answered my own question there though. I suppose. You'd have a job keeping them down to 15mph if pseudo legality was the goal !

hase lepus recumbent trike.jpg

Last edited:

twinkle

E-Triker
May 14, 2013
Peacehaven nr Brighton
Here is my original E-trike , I still have it ( it only has limited range due to the 7ah batteries of 7miles ) its a trex trike with a high spec e-bike wheel . It is in the process of being decommissioned , its early design using direct knuckle steering, caliper brakes and "tractor" steering joints made it rather interesting to ride due to bump steer and poor brakes , In the background is my first Streetfox (Atomiczombie homebuilt ) push trike that is in the process of being adapted to receive the e-conversion I have already fitted an under seat steering unit ( homebuilt again ) and I am waiting for a couple of hubs to build the disc brake front wheels ( again special 14mm spindle single side mounted disc braked 20" wheels.) before I install the e-kit . .. trike88.jpg Car's reg is apt Kilowatt !

Cindy

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 9, 2015
One sit-up-and-beg tilting trike (it now goes in a straight line, mostly).
How long did it take you to master the art of straight line? Mine is a tilting trike. I also need a new charger, the one that came with it is a botched up adaptation.

appyarry

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2015
Lyminge, Kent
I am looking to build a Trike for my wife who is finally retiring this coming week. I'm looking at the two wheel drive rear axle from Trykit.com with twin disc brakes, 700c wheels and probably the Xiangda 2 speed motor on the front wheel. Because Panda is nearly as cheap as buying from China I'll probably buy from them. And the battery I think from China unless anyone has any better suggestions. My wife wants a Trike as she does not feel safe on two wheels on the roads with todays traffic. I want her to have the large wheels and electric drive so she can keep up with me and go on a lot of the cycle tracks that are available all over the UK now. I'm not 100% which frame to use but there are a few stepthrough's that will do the job as a 19" frame is really needed as she is taller than me and a 16" bike would be too small. She refuses to even consider a recumbent as that would be my first choice if it was for me.
If anyone has any suggestions I'm very happy to listen to advice and if anyone has done similar please pm me if you would like to share experiences.

Ta,

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Hi. Has she had the chance to try a trike? I was offered a tadpole (two wheels at the front) a couple of years ago - apart from a few groans as I lowered myself in it was a joy to ride - cornered well and simply went where it was pointed. I didn't see how it could be converted to e-power so I didn't buy it. I ride the 'Thing' using the tilt but J finds it unsteady when stopping. The gearing is too low at the moment. When that's sorted we'll have a very nice vehicle.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I like the noomad system which can be adapted to any rear hub or crank drive electric bicycle. A wee bit pricy but you get twin disks at the front and it isn't too wide. Tilting when riding isn't as extreme as the photo where the unit is shown alone.

http://www.noomadbike.com/

catsnapper

Pedelecer
My wife uses a folding Space Genie 24", sometimes electric, but usually not. Lower gearing, better cranks and a few other mods make it usable in our mainly flat area.
A front 250 watt Bafang or similar is powerful enough for her use, and quick enough to rig up.

test-1.jpg

This was shot yesterday - yes, she does ride with those heels - maybe why she occasionally needs the Bafang.....:)

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveRuss

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
My wife uses a folding Space genies 24", sometimes electric, but usually not. Lower gearing, better cranks and a few other mods make it usable in our mainly flat area.
A front 250 watt Bafang or similar is powerful enough for her use, and quick enough to rig up.

View attachment 11230

This was shot yesterday - yes, she does ride with those heels - maybe why she occasionally needs the Bafang.....:)
You need power assist when the sea goes uphill.