How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I celebrated my 49th Birthday yesterday, and what better way to do so than by taking a mixed 24 mile off road on road ride to get some fish and chips and a beer afterwards. Something must have been wrong, as I was the mug using the KTM Ultra 1964 pedal mtb. I don't regret a second of it. :)

I now have two bikes to clean again!

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have enjoyed fish and chips from Den's, I have a cousin who lives very nearby whom I visit when I can.

Reactions: EddiePJ

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
I'm thinking of doing some light off road riding for the first time this summer. The countryside around where I live (Milton Keynes) has plenty of bridleways and other off road riding e.g. Rushmere County Park.

How easy do people find riding and navigating bridleways and are there ever problems with access? I have visions of some ruddy faced angry farmer pointing a shotgun at me shouting 'git Orf my laynd'!

I've got an iPhone handlebar mount and I use the mapMyRoute and ViewRanger apps using open street map to pre-plan my rides so navigation wouldn't be a problem per se. But that has up until now always been on MK's network of cycle paths. The network of county bridleways and footpaths is confusing. Some of the footpaths (marked as brown dotted lines on the map) look easily good enough to cycle on in Google maps sattilite view yet some bridleways (marked as green dotted line on the map) sometimes seem to disappear into fields and hedges. Is it generally ok to cycle on country footpaths (marked in brown on open street map) if they're good enough to cycle on or is that bad form?

I'm thinking I might give Swans Way bridleway a whirl when we've had enough dry wether for the ground to firm up a bit -
http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home.nsf/routeslinkswalks/the-swans-way-walking-and-cycle-route

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Some mountain bikers use footpaths very early in the morning, but it is, as you say, bad form.

It can also be bad riding, you will soon get fed up of sties, steps, gates and other obstructions.

Bridleways are mixed use, so no worries there, but they are often very rutted and potholed.

Your maps and apps will be a start, but ultimately it comes down to on the ground research.

It's still riding, but it can turn into work.

I've visited some areas several times, scoping about each time, before finding a ridable way through to the next part of a route.

Very satisfying when you do work out a route and add it to, in my case, my mental library.

A good tip is look out for bike tracks.

If you pitch up somewhere and there's a choice of ways forward, the chances are where the bike tracks are is where you want to go.

Other riders will have tried the alternatives and found them to be cycling dead ends.

Other riders are also an excellent source of route intelligence, so if I fall into conversation with another cyclist I will often ask 'which way did you come' or 'which way are you going'.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
2Lazy don't wait for them to dry up go get some mud its more fun.
I don't always plan my rides but just go sometimes and always have my explorer maps with me, I often use PF's and during the week very rarely see anyone on them. When I come across others I give way/slow down, stiles etc don't cause an issue for me as my mtb is < 18kg and very manageable.

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
Thanks for the info. I'm definately going to give off road cycling a go. I think I will wait until the ground has firmed up a bit though. My Gaint Roam 3 hybrid bike has 700c wheels fitted with hybrid tyres which in reality are just slicks with few a few nobbles on the outer edge. They're next to useless on anything even vaguely muddy. I could swap them out for something more knobbly but as I do most of my riding on tarmac I'd prefer not to increase rolling resistance.

I have an Ezee Forza ebike on order which is primarily for commuting but should be able handle light off road trails. And I might in any case get a crank drive MTB in addition to the Forza, specifically for off road riding.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Things are finally starting to dry up a bit! Three from yesterday.

I also need some more practice on riding this short section of compacted road stone forest ride. It's only .6 of a mile long, with a descent of 241' but it is bloody unnerving. I came down it tonight and hit just on 38mph, but it felt as though the bike was riding on marbles. Not a nice feeling with the front end of the bike feeling so loose and un settled, and one that I need to conquer and get advice on. The mental thing of bare legs, bare arms, no full face helmet, and only one light to shine the way tonight didn't help matters either.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
38 in the dark or was there some daylight still impressive on loose surface Eddie but squeaky bum stuff :eek:.

Its expected to be warm down here tomorrow so I'm setting off just after 7am to go off rode on a ride of 30 -40 miles.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I guess that it was about 8.30pm, so not the best of light.

Lucky you, for being able to ride out today. I'm working within sight of the South Downs, and they looked very appealing today. :(

I'm back out again tomorrow evening with four other riders, so it should prove to be entertaining fun. :)
It'll be the peddle bike again for me though. I've let three different people ride the KTM in the last week, and when I went to use it last night, one of the them has torn the saddle. :(

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I never lend things out any more as they seem to get broken/damaged and misused. Saying that pedelecer Scott is coming over tomorrow to have a look and probably a ride on my BBS bike.
The S.Downs are on my list for a visit or three when I can totally free up some days, at the mo home improvements, decorating, work and other hobbies are getting in the way.

Back to todays outing, again I forgot my camera so sorry no pics. I ended up doing a 50km ride trawling through St leonards forest again then heading south of Horsham, Southwater,Itchingfield,Slinfold and then homeward bound via Slinfold,Warnham and Lambs Green nr Rusper. Only downside today was there were to many stiles must have lifted my bike over 20 and buggered my front wheel when I went flying superman style straight over the bars after hitting a rabbit hole at about 15mph, managed to tread on it to remove the terrible buckle a bit, not lying it was about 2" so I could continue my ride. Now I have another job to do, strip it down to see if its possible to straighten and rebuild if not its another off Fleabay.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I must admit that in the case of stiles and gates, that is definitely where the pedal bike scores. You hardly notice that you have lifted it over. :)

As well as riding tomorrow evening, I might well stick the e-mtb in the van and take it to work with me on Thursday. I'm working at Keymer, so it's not too far to cycle before reaching the base South Downs.

I was looking at my mileage for this year earlier on, and I reckon that come the end of April, I'll have ridden 1,000 miles so far this year, and pretty much all of it has been off road. :) Not bad considering that most of my riding has been taking place evenings and weekends.

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
Oldosc
this is probably going to be a bit snarky ((look it up) probably had too much of my home brew)) i am of the old (77 years old) who when young thought BIKES were the answer to really wild adventure.there were' bike clubs' who did things like cycling, racing, maintainance sessions and us the underclass who used these magic things to go where THEY (adults) did'nt know existed, ANYWHERE there was a track.(sand was a bit of a sod) It is so refreshing that there bikeys (SMALL B ) out there using these amazing machines to enjoy, and have amazing adventures where no one else can go
Due to a bit of age (moves faster than me) now have an Aggatu electric
but it will still go places that are wild and free. so Sod the macadam and longh life to you
Oldosc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Impressive Eddie now you have to do that in month to be in the 1000 club as d8veh did so in January :p, although it was on the black stuff.

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Oldosc, I'm a mere 49yrs old, and can honestly say that push bikes formed the centre of my child hood. We went everywhere and anywhere on bikes (some things don't change) The more that I think about it, the more wild that those adventures now seem. Some of those tales now seem very sad, when looking back and realising that some of the people involved are no longer here with us.
I'm grateful that the e-mtb has given me the chance to somehow do it all again.

Eddie, growing old disgracefully. :)

Nealh, two things would transpire against me ever being able to do D8veh's amazing feat. Work/time, and knees that would sadly give up long before reaching that goal. The mind would be willing though. :)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Stupidly took another off yesterday evening.
I was just riding along at roughly 20mph, just minding my own business on the now almost dry forest tracks, then suddenly within the space of a few foot, the front end of the bike went down, and the bike just stopped dead. I went straight up over the bars, and as I did so, the bike twisted around, throwing me highside style. Another session of being winded when I hit the ground!

I also decided to give the sj4000 another quick try. I definitely need to sort both the mount out and it's positioning.
This is the start of a ride that I'd normally just do at night time, when no one is around. Cameras are a weird thing, and don't in any way show the steepness at both ends of the grass section. The start has the bike bottoming out, as the suspension struggles, to sort the compressive load between the slope and the flat, then at the other end, it doesn't show the 45 degree slope, nor the proximity of the trees.

I'll try and shoot a better clip this evening.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I feel much safer on the busy roads around here after seeing that, thanks much! :)

Tony

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Just off to the left of the shoot you can just glimpse the steep terrain through the tree line. At least your wheel caught in something soft and didn't buckle like mine did, also when I came off I was very pleased with the way the battery fixings in my CF frame held up.

I recently got one of those cree lights off Fleabay and the the one I got was crap, it wouldn't switchon. I complained to the vendor and was sent another cree and the same thing wouldn't switch on, so sent all back and got a refund decided to stick with the ever so bright Bangood lights which have now arrived.

D

Deleted member 4366

Why do you always have your camera pointing at the cront wheel instead of the way ahead?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Dave, that is why I said that I still need to sort the mount out.

It's a chest mount, and I still haven't managed to get the angle right. When I try it at home before setting off it's fine, but then changes by the time that I have started to use it.

edit.. I've figured out why now, so hopefully it won't happen again. The elasticated strap appears to be slipping loose, and now that I know that, it should easily be resolved.

Nealh. The only issue that I have had with the cree lights, is breaking the straps, on the battery case. The lights have been okay though. :)

Tony, just noticed where you are in France. As well as lovely sunny days, I bet that the seafood is also first class. You lucky git! ;)

Last edited:

Advertisers